PDA

View Full Version : Help me brainstorm, please! Which would you keep?

Heinz 57
Dec. 21, 2011, 01:29 PM
Obviously not making any decisions until after our vet appointment Friday, but I have been thinking about the 'what if' possibilities of a potentially costly and long recovery/rehab injury to the big horse, and what choices I need to make.

He's a lifer. Unless I go bankrupt and homeless, I'll take care of him the best I can, even if that means retirement. I'm hoping I'll be able to afford to keep an 'extra' horse around to ride during the rehab, but I'm waffling on which of the two might be best.

A quick summary of each:

The Mare: a greenbroke (w/t/c with sometimes questionable steering) Dutch WB, very pretty, fancy mover. Shows talent over fences, but isn't ready to start yet - and won't have the speed to get much past Training. She's on the smaller side and I feel a bit large on her (74 blanket, 44 girth, very short coupled). Super sweet and easy to work with, a great future ammy LL packer.

The "old man": broke with a capital B (going on 15 in 2012). Has been an A circuit jumper, shown him First level with 65-70 scores, could easily go Second if I put the hours in. I evented him with mediocre results in 2011; he isn't super fond of water, but WILL and HAS done it - may work out of that if we school on a regular basis (likely). Good fit size wise, we get along 99% of the time, and I'd venture to guess that the 1% we don't is ulcer-related. I hacked him in a bareback pad all summer, chased cows and went to the beach. If I were to keep him and start really schooling Second/competing a lot, he would probably benefit from having his hocks injected. Prelim potential, according to my favorite trainer - but obviously we're a long way off from that. Keeping him now very likely means I'll have him through retirement.

I like them both, in very different ways, and I know which would be the harder to sell. Money will be tight either way, and as much as I'd love to keep them all, the sale of one will go towards the vet bill for the broken one.

WWYD? Selling both is an option as well, but then I'd (in theory) be left with nothing to ride. TIA - thinking about this is giving my brain something to do besides jump to 'worst case scenario' conclusions.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 21, 2011, 01:57 PM
Put them both on the market and see which sells first.

scubed
Dec. 21, 2011, 02:58 PM
What BFNE said. If you think you would enjoy riding either of them, just see what happens. Also, if you don't need the cash, but just to reduce the outflow, you could consider leasing one or both

FlashGordon
Dec. 21, 2011, 03:01 PM

This.

Ironically, I have a mare that sounds much like yours... and yet my gut instinct was to tell you to keep the old man, cause he sounds like fun. :lol: Huh.

purplnurpl
Dec. 21, 2011, 04:09 PM

I was going to say this too!!
The market sucks. You may end up not able to sell either! Or the exact opposite.

If you need one to go, get them both out there and leave it up to fait.

Heinz 57
Dec. 21, 2011, 04:27 PM
This.

Ironically, I have a mare that sounds much like yours... and yet my gut instinct was to tell you to keep the old man, cause he sounds like fun. :lol: Huh.

That's kind of what I've been leaning towards. It seems that I've been stuck in the land of rotating greenies the last few years (buy, start, get going solidly o/f, sell, repeat) and it might be beneficial (and fun!) to pull out those less-remedial skills of mine, before they wither away completely.

Where's my sugar daddy when I need him? :lol:

FlashGordon
Dec. 21, 2011, 04:36 PM
That's kind of what I've been leaning towards. It seems that I've been stuck in the land of rotating greenies the last few years (buy, start, get going solidly o/f, sell, repeat) and it might be beneficial (and fun!) to pull out those less-remedial skills of mine, before they wither away completely.

Where's my sugar daddy when I need him? :lol:

Yeah, I know, right? Well if my sugar daddy comes along, I'll buy your old man from you. :lol:

My mare is *wonderful* but there are days where I am just like.... whyyyyyy did I take on another project?!

Backstage
Dec. 21, 2011, 05:31 PM
I think I'd put both on the market, but I'd be most aggressive about selling the 15 year old. The big, potentially broken one is a lifer, and if you aren't careful the older one could quickly become a lifer by default. Can you afford that? The mare is younger and more sale-able in the long term.

Heinz 57
Dec. 21, 2011, 06:31 PM
Yeah, I know, right? Well if my sugar daddy comes along, I'll buy your old man from you. :lol:

My mare is *wonderful* but there are days where I am just like.... whyyyyyy did I take on another project?!

Most days, I enjoy my projects. I've successfully traded up in quality for the most part. But, you're right - there are days where I don't feel like arguing about remedial education, and it's nice to type on a keyboard with more keys than just ASDFJKL: and a sticky space bar. :lol:

I guess I just need to ride, and consider. Barring some career-ending injury, I'd be very surprised if the old man wasn't a good ten years from slowing down. I have no problem keeping him through retirement; if he doesn't stay with me, another previous owner has made it clear that he always has a place with her, so no concern there.

Hmmm.