PDA

View Full Version : Help me find a show coat

Big_Grey_hunter
Dec. 20, 2011, 09:37 PM
I'm a hunter at heart, but after moving to a new barn, retiring my hunter, and buying a dressage/eventing horse and doing a couple of events, I've accepted I won't be doing hunters for at least a few years. So, I'm in the market for a dressage/eventing coat (is there a difference?)

I'm fairly short waisted with pretty much no figure, but I have long arms and very broad shoulders, so most coats are too short in the arms and restrictive through the shoulders. I'm built slim, for reference I wear a xxs tipperary vest and 24/26 breeches. Any suggestions?

Far_North_Equestrian
Dec. 20, 2011, 09:54 PM
If you're starting out eventing at the lower levels you can get away with a dark colored hunt coat for a while. I don't know if there is a specific "eventing coat". If you're looking at just a "couple of events" I wouldn't blow the money just yet assuming you have a serviceable hunt coat (I evented in a dark brown one for years, and see lots of people in the dressage ring in navy hunt coats).

I can't really help you out on brands and such unfortunately.

ECEventer
Dec. 21, 2011, 05:35 AM
Most dressage coats that I have seen tend to be black with 4 brass buttons, and a little more fitted. But I agree with others, it really doesn't matter in the lower levels what color you wear. I had a friend who bought a cheap jacket from a department store and spent 20 bucks getting slits added to the back and she shows in that.

horsecents
Dec. 21, 2011, 07:32 AM
I wore a navy hunt coat for years so I wouldn't run out and buy an event coat if you're just starting out. I recently went out and purchased a Cavallo Galathea which is one of the new short jackets. Looks great since I'm also short waisted with long arms, but I have narrow shoulders.

Duckz
Dec. 21, 2011, 07:42 AM
I've evented from BN to Training using my dark navy hunt coat in dressage. The one time I used a coat for stadium (instead of my xc gear) I wore my gorgeous tan hunt coat that had been collecting dust since I came to the dark side :) So yeah, please don't feel like you need to go buy a new coat unless you have a couple hundred bucks burning a hole in your pocket.

wildlifer
Dec. 21, 2011, 12:38 PM
You really can wear any type of show coat that you like. You don't need a "dressage coat" or a "jumping coat" or anything like that. Unless you just love to throw money around, there's no need to. If you have one you showed hunters in, that is fine.