PDA

View Full Version : XC jump saddle

ottb
Dec. 20, 2011, 06:50 PM
I haven't had much luck finding a used XC saddle with a narrow tree. I have a horse with extremely high withers that seem to have gotten higher. I was hoping for some suggestions for a saddle fitter in the SE PA area. I have accepted that it's very likely that I will need to buy new because of the unique fit issues. Would also be delighted to hear new saddle suggestions. :)

mythical84
Dec. 20, 2011, 07:00 PM
I just ordered a Voltaire Design Lexington cross country saddle. http://en.voltaire-design.com/lexington_saddle.html. I sat in it and fell in love. My mare seemed to feel the same way. She usually takes a few minutes to warm up (she is 19 after all!), and in this, she was ready to work right away.

ottb
Dec. 20, 2011, 07:45 PM
wow, very nice. Thank you for the lead.

Hey Mickey
Dec. 20, 2011, 09:04 PM
Stackhouse!!!!= amazing

ZackAttack
Dec. 20, 2011, 09:12 PM
^^Ditto with Chelsie.

Highflyer
Dec. 20, 2011, 09:12 PM
I really like the Stubbens for my older, high withered TB gelding. I got a Roxane and really like the way it fits him and love it for me.

Hawks Nest
Dec. 20, 2011, 09:59 PM
I really like the Stubbens for my older, high withered TB gelding. I got a Roxane and really like the way it fits him and love it for me.

This. The older stubbens are not great for high withers (we have like a 20 year old stubben in good shape but it doesn't fit any of our current horses). I had a stubben edelweiss that worked great for my high withered, broad backed tb.

event_ryder
Dec. 20, 2011, 11:37 PM
Highly upset this saddle is too small for me, but if you ever wanted to order long distance! Though I had a Hastilow custom made for my horse and I without breaking the bank.

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-pets-livestock-for-sale-AMERIGO-CC-SADDLE-17-5-NARROW-TREE-AS-NEW-W0QQAdIdZ338894240

ottb
Dec. 21, 2011, 07:40 AM
thx 4 the lead event ryder - I suspect the saddle would be to small 4 me as well.

scubed
Dec. 21, 2011, 09:50 AM
check with www.hastilowusa.com. They will also come and fit other saddles. A friend just had one done in Cochranville

Brandy76
Dec. 21, 2011, 10:33 AM
have you tried Patty Merli? She does come up this way, and she also usually has a decent selection of used.

She's a GREAT fitter, too, and really gets the high withered ones.

http://www.pattymerlisaddles.com/

tarheelmd07
Dec. 21, 2011, 12:11 PM
check with www.hastilowusa.com. They will also come and fit other saddles. A friend just had one done in Cochranville

The hastilow saddles are nice and a custom one is pretty reasonable (less than $3K). There are 4 or 5 hastilow saddles in the tack room at the barn, some of them made for very hard-to-fit horses. Annette Gavin is very nice and a good saddle fitter - but can be difficult to get in touch with sometimes, so be persistent with your emails and/or phone calls!

RunForIt
Dec. 21, 2011, 12:44 PM
have you tried Patty Merli? She does come up this way, and she also usually has a decent selection of used.

She's a GREAT fitter, too, and really gets the high withered ones.

http://www.pattymerlisaddles.com/

Patty's "up that way" right now! I was going to suggest getting in touch with her. I have a quite hard to fit OTTB who is the SUPREME Prince and the "I CAN FEEL THE PEA - GET SHED OF THIS DAMN THING..." pony. Patty had a lovely saddle made for this pony prince and he most highly approves (and he's turned down, LITERALLY ran away from many high dollar ones :D ).

ottb
Dec. 21, 2011, 02:34 PM
Thanks everyone. I've sent a bunch of emails. This has been very helpful. Hopefully I'll get some replies.

Fergs
Dec. 21, 2011, 10:10 PM
I'm a Stackhouse person and agree that Hastilow is a great alternative (Annette is great), but have you also tried Prestige saddles? VTO carries new ones and also a bunch used...I love them but they were too narrow for my wide-ass mare (fit her "like a party hat"). So, perhaps if you need something for a skinny shark fin, a Prestige would work?

If not, and you're looking at needing a truly custom saddle, you can't beat Stackhouse. They are just hands-down the best.

Far_North_Equestrian
Dec. 22, 2011, 02:45 AM
If you're on a budget lots of people I know - and my fitter have been having good luck with St. Lourdes saddles. They're mostly under $1500, nice workmanship, trees that can be adjusted with a tree press (they come in Narrow, Med, Wide). I'm thrilled with mine (the dressage saddle) and am currently coveting a friend's Odyessy jump saddle.