PDA

View Full Version : If you have a jingle to spare... GOOD NEWS!

Heinz 57
Dec. 19, 2011, 03:51 PM
We'd appreciate it. Trying to get the big horse in to the Good Vet up north for a workup on what I'm hoping is just a bump, and not the suspensory injury it looks like.

:sigh: We just can't win for losing. I'm mid-switch from old farrier to new farrier, and it looks like it may be a step or two too late. I knew I should've switched sooner.

MunchingonHay
Dec. 19, 2011, 04:21 PM
Jingles to you and the big horse.

netg
Dec. 19, 2011, 04:22 PM
Oh, no! Jingles aplenty.

2DogsFarm
Dec. 19, 2011, 04:44 PM
Hoosier Jingles headed your way!

And don't beat yourself up - we all do the best we can.

Hilary
Dec. 19, 2011, 07:15 PM
Ice, bute, dmso are your friends - if it's a bump you'll be golden and if it is a suspensory you're ahead of the game. Hope he's fine!

Kairoshorses
Dec. 19, 2011, 07:16 PM
Jingles! Here's hoping a bump is just a bump!

Auburn
Dec. 19, 2011, 07:22 PM
Jingles from KY.

ACMEeventing
Dec. 19, 2011, 07:25 PM
Jingles from NC. Best of luck.

Heinz 57
Dec. 19, 2011, 07:27 PM
I'm hoping it's something minor, but you know... they know when we make 'plans'. and I had 'planned' to get this one going and competing next year!

Appointment set for Friday AM. The 'bump' in question is a small, soft swelling on the LF, just above the fetlock between the superficial flexor and the cannon, maybe the size of a quarter/half dollar. Not particularly sensitive to the touch, but he's a pretty stoic horse. Suspensory issue is just a guess on my part, but he's got no heat and just looks NQR heading to the right. Given the issues I have with the way his feet are being done, suspensory seems likely (long toes, underrun heels).

gold2012
Dec. 19, 2011, 08:17 PM
That might be a splint, especially with no heat. Wrapping?

DangerousDevo
Dec. 19, 2011, 10:56 PM
Soft swelling and no heat might be windpuffs, too. Savoss does wonders...

eventingismylife
Dec. 19, 2011, 11:02 PM
Jingles that is nothing serious!

jen-s
Dec. 19, 2011, 11:43 PM
Jingles!!!

ohrebecca
Dec. 20, 2011, 12:48 AM
There's always a wealth of jingles to be had. Jingling for you and the big horse that it's a minor issue!

Credosporthorses
Dec. 20, 2011, 01:23 AM
Jingles to you and your horse! Wishing your horse a speedy recovery.

sunhawk
Dec. 20, 2011, 09:15 AM
Jingles from Canada

MightyBobbyMagee
Dec. 20, 2011, 10:51 AM
My first guess was a splint, too. Lots of jingles. Hopefully it's something really small!

Heinz 57
Dec. 20, 2011, 11:07 AM
I'm not inclined to think it's a splint... or at least, it's not in a location I've ever seen a splint, and it doesn't LOOK like one. The swelling is more toward the SF, not on the cannon, as far down as possible without actually being ON the fetlock, and it's soft, showing up on both sides of the leg.

*hopes COTH'ers are right* a splint would be much easier to deal with. I have great faith in my vet.

ZackAttack
Dec. 20, 2011, 11:10 PM
I hope for your sake its nothing minor! However, what you're describing, and the location you're describing it at, sounds like wind puffs to me. And they are not a big deal. Though I've never heard of them making a horse a little off, I'm sure its possible.

jingles! and hopes that its nothing. =]

Rainier
Dec. 20, 2011, 11:13 PM
Jingles from me and my big guy in WA :)

Heinz 57
Dec. 20, 2011, 11:15 PM
I hope for your sake its nothing minor! However, what you're describing, and the location you're describing it at, sounds like wind puffs to me. And they are not a big deal. Though I've never heard of them making a horse a little off, I'm sure its possible.

jingles! and hopes that its nothing. =]

I thought maybe windpuff at first too...but this feels different to me and is showing on the inside AND outside? I'm hoping that you're all right and it's something inconsequential, but that still leaves us to figure out why he looks NQR. :lol:

I'd be surprised if he doesn't need a joint or two injected anyway. He's a big boy, going on 14 next year, with 42 starts (and not a bump to show for it).

Heinz 57
Dec. 23, 2011, 09:55 PM
Update - just got back from the vet!

What we have, is some minor soreness related to the coffin joint (sorry, don't have the invoice in front of me for the exact terms he used). Only showed vague discomfort while lunging on hard ground in a small circle. Flexed all four legs, noted that the RF knee and the hocks were a little stiff, but nothing that needed any major work. The swelling I was seeing was just fluid filling - and he pointed out a few other less-obvious areas that were filling also that I hadn't picked up on.

I was given three options - try putting him on a joint supplement, give him a large dose of HA & shark cartilege, or bite the bullet and just inject the joints.

We're going with option two - and I'll add the joint supp he recommended to his diet, as well.

He (a track vet) was VERY pleased with how few changes he has given his age, size, and history. We also discussed the negative changes (underrun heels, long toes) to his feet and how that could likely be contributing to the soreness. If we can't correct the issues enough with new farrier, we'll revisit and discuss the possibility of adding wedges.

COTH jinglers, you are my Christmas miracle! Oh, and I stopped at Gallops on the way home - picked up a myler for him to try and some other goodies that were on sale. :)