PDA

View Full Version : Conformation Critique

Newmarket
Dec. 18, 2011, 11:59 AM
Hi All,

I am wondering if you could take a couple seconds to evaluate this horse's (that I am looking at to buy) conformation?

He is a coming five year old, full thoroughbred with eight starts, but no places. Right now he is at a hunter/jumper sale barn. He is a good mover, has a great jump and a really good mind from what I can tell. I am looking at this horse as an upper level prospect (Advanced, three star etc). I have been looking for months and this is the first horse I've come across that is checking all the boxes. I know there are some real conformation experts on this forum, so I was hoping to get everyone's insight on this horse.

Here is the photo: http://www.flickr.com/photos/72345141@N07/6532000451/in/photostream

Thanks so much!
Thanks in advance, I look forward to reading the responses.

leahandpie
Dec. 18, 2011, 12:57 PM
He looks like a nice boy, but the photo isn't overly flattering. It makes him look like he is rather downhill. He has nice hindquarters, but I wish his shoulder had more depth and angle. His neck ties into his neck a bit low, and his neck is of average shape. Nice feet and angle of pasterns, though, he looks to have good sound legs.

I don't want to be overly critical, because I think the photo is making him look worse than he really is!! If he moves and jumps really well... that should be more of a deciding factor IMHO :)

Looking forward to reading other, more experienced responses!

judybigredpony
Dec. 18, 2011, 01:55 PM
He doesn't look to have an giant No's painted on him.
Feet look great and if you mentally shift the photo he possible is very balanced.
Kind eye how does he move? Any scope in his jump or boldness?.

netg
Dec. 18, 2011, 04:18 PM
He looks like a nice boy, but the photo isn't overly flattering. It makes him look like he is rather downhill. He has nice hindquarters, but I wish his shoulder had more depth and angle. His neck ties into his neck a bit low, and his neck is of average shape. Nice feet and angle of pasterns, though, he looks to have good sound legs.

I don't want to be overly critical, because I think the photo is making him look worse than he really is!! If he moves and jumps really well... that should be more of a deciding factor IMHO :)

Looking forward to reading other, more experienced responses!

This fits my opinion, too.

The neck doesn't bother me as much how the outer parts of it come out, but it looks like the internal structure wants to come out low, if that makes sense. Lots of fat/improperly mucled necks look poor, and work makes them look really nice - but in his case it looks more like he probably has a very impressive front end and knees as he's using his back end to get himself in a better position to clear with the front, rather than an innate athleticism that you'd want for an upper level prospect. For any more modest goals, I'd say absolutely go for it if everything you see and your vet says matches up, but for this one I'd say get a good look at him in person and how he carries himself, because as pointed out - it very well may be a photo problem, not a conformation problem.

judybigredpony
Dec. 18, 2011, 04:37 PM
Its really to hard to tell if any horse is going to be a 3* upper level competitor until the questions are asked...On any given day a horse with all the "Right Stuff" disappoints and the one with alot of "Wrongs" steps up and does the job.

Without seeing him move or jump its a roll of the dice no matter what even if he vets perfect...

retreadeventer
Dec. 18, 2011, 07:23 PM
What a lovely horse. I get the feeling he was turned left just at the minute the picture might have been taken, so that may be the reason I feel his back looks long. He has a nice length of neck and good barrel. Legs look decent and I like the deep hock behind, and the nice hip. I don't worry so much about being a bit downhill, because of the good hock. He looks like he would have a lovely trot that would be very comfortable and that the canter might take some work but eventually would be balanced once he's muscled over his top. I like this horse a lot, I can see him being a very nice competition horse with the correct sort of work and care.

Xanthoria
Dec. 18, 2011, 07:42 PM
Nothing glaringly wrong except he looks very downhill - his hind foot is on a lower plane than the front one on the closest side tot he camera - if they were lined up level he'd look even more downhill.

I'd recommend getting more pics if you really like him, but for me it'd be a pass at this stage.

Coyoteco
Dec. 18, 2011, 11:00 PM
I like him quite a bit, actually. I can't tell if he is downhill. I think the hips are nearer to the camera and may be causing his hind end to look taller and larger. QH photos often do this intentionally, I think. He may have a thicker throat latch than is desireable. I wonder if his back is long, but, if it is, it's not enough to bother me.

ACMEeventing
Dec. 19, 2011, 08:57 AM
Agree that the photo is doing him no favors.

First thing I noticed were those great low hocks and well angled pasterns. I'll bet he is/will be a super jumper, especially if he has a good attitude. The pasterns will also make him really comfy to sit the trot.

I'm no expert, but I like his back and withers. He has a pleasant expression and a nice enough mouth. Underneck could be just a little shorter to get the right proportion, but with the training and weight he will be a real head turner. Can't really see the throat latch well enough to have an opinion.

I like him. And like Judy BRP said, one snapshot isn't going to read the future. Try him!