PDA

View Full Version : Comments on base narrow horse that paddles

Eventer55
Dec. 17, 2011, 09:09 AM
I'm looking for any comments or experience with horses that paddle and are slightly base narrow.

This horse has a million dollar brain, is totally willing to try anything and is a pretty good mover except she paddles quite a lot. From the side she is a nice mover, from the front she paddles. Also slightly base narrow.

Her job will be BN eventing and hacking around and then see what she else she can do.

BTW she's a green bean, OTTB and sound 16h, built up hill :)

eponacowgirl
Dec. 17, 2011, 09:25 AM
My first event horse paddled like crazy. Never made a lick of difference. I only evented her through Novice, but the judges liked her a lot. FWIW, she was a very tense type OTTB and as she learned to relax it did improve, but never went away.

oldpony66
Dec. 17, 2011, 09:37 AM
My daughter bought a horse two years ago that is VERY narrow and paddles with just one front leg. She's been taking him Novice and doing well. The paddling has never been mentioned in a dressage test and he has so much heart in him and loves to jump. He's really been awesome. I think paddling + base narrow is better than base narrow with no paddling, less chance of interfering. If the horse has a 'million dollar brain' I'd go snatch her up right now :D

horsecents
Dec. 17, 2011, 10:11 AM
My horse is base narrow but doesn't paddle and has a milllion dollar brain and I think he's priceless :D. Have your blacksmith look at her to help you determine how the paddling is generated. For LL eventing I would think paddling is a non issue especially if she fits your needs.

Eventer55
Dec. 17, 2011, 11:24 AM
My daughter bought a horse two years ago that is VERY narrow and paddles with just one front leg. She's been taking him Novice and doing well. The paddling has never been mentioned in a dressage test and he has so much heart in him and loves to jump. He's really been awesome. I think paddling + base narrow is better than base narrow with no paddling, less chance of interfering. If the horse has a 'million dollar brain' I'd go snatch her up right now :D

She's already here:D I couldn't pass up the brain. I paid the board bill on her, she was going to auction :confused: I'll never figure out some things.

Are there any upper level eventers that paddle? Just curious.

oldpony66
Dec. 18, 2011, 09:20 AM
No idea about upper level eventers, but congrats on getting her and saving her from the auction!!!!

visorvet
Dec. 18, 2011, 10:18 AM
I have had a few base-narrow horses that were somewhat sore when they came off the track, and had it resolve as the soreness improved. In other words the base-narrow stance and movement were compensatory rather than constitutive in those horses. One of them paddled a fair bit, but I don't recall if that also improved. No guarantees on your horse, but wanted to share a couple of data points for you. Personally, mild to moderate paddling would not put me off a lower-level prospect if I loved the horse in every other way.

Eventer55
Dec. 18, 2011, 10:47 AM
Thanks Visorvet, you hit on a very important point and that is that your horse's movement was compensatory. This little girl was very sore, with mushy feet and thinish walls. She just got steel shoes which should help.

The farrier wants to see what happens over the next 6 weeks and then we will talk about paddling and further care. Just having steel shoes will help.

As an aside she was quite thin and covered with rain rot, so proper nutrition, shoes and care will change a lot of things.

I asked this question because I wonder how much is the strain of xc on a horse that paddles, however we watched a video of her winning on the track and it was fairly spectacular. She went from breaking last and running almost last to winning by 4 lengths. She vetted clean on her front legs and a possible chip in a hind which doesn't bother me. Anyway, we will see what happens.

tuttifruitti
Dec. 19, 2011, 08:50 AM
Just a thought to maybe help her out....I've had a couple of base narrow horses who paddled. No problem but I found lots of soreness right betw. their legs and back to the girth area. I was able to relieve them alot with stretches of the forelegs and gently stretching out the elbow area. They both were so tight there. A long ago biomechanic horseman guru showed me that.

quietann
Dec. 19, 2011, 09:47 AM
Just a thought to maybe help her out....I've had a couple of base narrow horses who paddled. No problem but I found lots of soreness right betw. their legs and back to the girth area. I was able to relieve them alot with stretches of the forelegs and gently stretching out the elbow area. They both were so tight there. A long ago biomechanic horseman guru showed me that.

I do the same with my base-narrow girl who paddles a bit (more on one side)... She loves her stretches, and also a good firm rub with a curry between her legs and behind her elbows.

I have heard (probably here) that paddling is not a huge deal because it actually decreases the chance of the horse interfering.

Good luck, OP and good on you for keeping this filly from going to auction!

sumatra
Dec. 19, 2011, 10:35 PM
Just an observation on paddlers, I have never seen one that isn't a brilliant jumper.

Hawks Nest
Dec. 19, 2011, 11:25 PM
We have a tb/Connemara cross who has this adorable toe in that makes him look like a two year old kid begging for candy. He is sound and having an easy time going training level. Muscle did help him travel wider behind (he no longer needs boots on whenever he is moving) and despite the fact that he even paddles over jumps (it is adorable) he can jump the moon.

Eventer55
Dec. 20, 2011, 07:51 AM
Just an observation on paddlers, I have never seen one that isn't a brilliant jumper.

I couldn't have paid anyone for a better response. :D:D:D:D:D

One of the things I also liked about her was she swapped leads at the canter (clean) twice while someone else was riding her. Even though she was totally out of balance and basically running not cantering, she did two gorgous changes across the diaganol.:yes: