PDA

View Full Version : flap length in a CC saddle

jen-s
Dec. 16, 2011, 12:00 AM
For those far more educated (or opinionated!) than me, I'm having a saddle flap length dilemma. If all aspects of a saddle fit both horse and rider except that the flap is a hair long, how much will that affect things? And by a hair, I mean 1.5-1.75" longer than "normal."

I currently have a regular flapped Collegiate Diploma that I love and gelding tolerates no matter how many times I reflock or swap gullets. Flap length and saddle shape is perfect for me--of course. My dressage saddle is a Smith Worthington and he LOVE LOVE LOVES it so I thought that I'd see if I could find a SW CC or A/P that would solve my need for a jumping saddle. I found a few online, but then emailed with SW and may have found a steal of a deal that according to them should fit gelding well and seems to fit what I need (and is returnable if not) BUT the flap is long...really long. Thoughts? Suggestions? Sigh. I hate saddle shopping.

jen-s
Dec. 16, 2011, 09:17 AM
bumping for the morning crew... :)

Dec. 16, 2011, 09:28 AM
I've personally decided that saddle shopping is it's own special level of hell.

When you say flap length, are you talking about the measurement from the stirrup bar straight down to the bottom of the flap?

eventer_mi
Dec. 16, 2011, 10:22 AM
If the saddle fits and the balance is good, I doubt an extra inch would make a difference, unless you are very short-legged. However, if we're talking 2 extra inches, that could cause some problem with really feeling your horse. On a 17.5" saddle, a flap length from 13-14" is average. On an 18" saddle, 14" is average. Anything longer would be considered a "long" flap.

jen-s
Dec. 16, 2011, 11:08 PM
My 17.5" Collegiate Diploma has a 14" flap. The potential new saddle has a 15.5" or 15.75" which probably isn't bad if one is used to A/P saddles, but I'm not. I have a dressage saddle (not a clue on length of flap) that I do dressage in and I hope that I can do some minor dressage in my new CC, but I'm not planning it to be a real crossover.

alto
Dec. 17, 2011, 03:08 PM
Give it a try - if you look at older saddles, flaps used to be much longer/wider & riders still did pretty well ;)
You can also look into having the flaps cut down BUT this becomes $$$ pretty quickly if there are knee pads etc.
If the flap is long but not wide, then cutting off some of the length is easily done BUT discuss this with SW first in terms of potential effect on saddle balance.

GreyDes
Dec. 17, 2011, 06:08 PM
I have a SW that's shaped like this - longer than normal flap for the seat size. It bothered me the first time I saw it - it just didn't look "right" to me.

However, when I'm riding, I don't notice the flap, and I'm not particularly tall, or long-legged. For reference, I'm 5'6", with a 30" inseam.

I'd say it's definitely worth sitting in!

jen-s
Dec. 18, 2011, 11:25 AM
GreyDes--What model is your saddle? I have about a 30" inseam but I'm only 5'4" (in boots).

GreyDes
Dec. 18, 2011, 07:50 PM
jen-s - It was on closeout as a sample, so I don't think it has a model. It's similar to the Avalon or Stoneleigh, with slightly more forward flaps.

jen-s
Dec. 18, 2011, 09:42 PM
Hmm... The one I think I'm most interested in is the Heidi, but the Stoneleigh was presented as another option (also on sale but more expensive). Thanks though.