PDA

View Full Version : OK. I give up. Can we talk about Ecogold saddle pads?

yellowbritches
Dec. 15, 2011, 08:31 PM
OK. Here's the situation. Both of my saddles want to slip back on Toby. Now, before everyone starts screaming saddle fit, both saddles seem to be good, decent fits on him and he has zero complaints (and it is my understanding from his previous people, he would complain if he didn't like them). He's going well, he feels great, and is happy as a lark in his work. Saddles sit square and even on him with no tight spots or gappy issues. Sweat marks (and, oh, do we have sweat marks...more on that) are even.

But, I get off and my breastplate is pulled tight. Yesterday, I rode in my dressage saddle sans breastplate, and upon getting off was shocked to see how far back it was. Rode with a breastplate today in a dressage lesson and no issues.

The thought is that Toby is slippery as hell. Which, considering how sleek and shiny he is, seems reasonable. And because of his various skin issues, he goes in slippery fleece girths (my leather ones rub him and he has neoprene allergies) and goes with slippery sheepskin directly on his back. We're one sleek, slippery mess, I think. Because of the neoprene issue, traditional no slip pads are out, and we tried sheepskin chamois, which rubbed him.

I do sheepskin in large part because he is an over achiever in the sweating department and the sheepskin helps keep it reduced. And, lucky me, he's allergic to his sweat, so the more sweat we can pull away on a ride, the less likely I am to have to give him a shower in the dead of winter.

So, I have a host of issues. Someone suggested trying the Ecogolds, but their price tags are nothing to sneeze at (I realize I could feed a third world country on what I have spent on sheepskin over the past couple of years between he and Vernon, but for whatever reason that seems easier to me). The propaganda for both the "Secure" and the "Stabilizer" line sound PERFECT for our issues, but the bigger question is, are they REALLY? Can they really keep my saddles on my slippery horse where they belong, keep him from having excessive amounts of sweat against his overly sensitive skin, AND not cause any allergic reactions due to man made materials?

Speak up, Ecogold users! Should I splurge?

PS- How do they hold up and wash up? Sheepskin half pads can hide under snowy white, rarely used square pads at shows, but, unless I get some major cash I am going to be limited to one or two pads for daily AND show use for awhile.

Hampton Bay
Dec. 15, 2011, 08:48 PM
are you sure you're not putting the saddle too far forward to begin with, and thus it's sliding back to where it should be?

nextyear
Dec. 15, 2011, 08:54 PM
I have one and it has washed and held up fine, don't think that it helps the slipping problem anymore than any good fitting pad though so unless your dying to spend the $$......

yellowbritches
Dec. 15, 2011, 08:54 PM
I took a picture of the dressage saddle to send to my coach yesterday...it is ridiculously far back. He's a little horse and short coupled...there's only so many places to put a saddle on him.

reay6790
Dec. 15, 2011, 09:01 PM
I would purchase a nunn-finer non slip pad and cut it in half first before going for an eco gold pad. put it right behind the withers then layer pads like normal.

my saddle used to slip on my horse with no withers and it has helped so so much. no more slipping at all :)

yellowbritches
Dec. 15, 2011, 09:03 PM
I would purchase a nunn-finer non slip pad
These are not Toby approved. He has an allergy to neoprene.

Trak_Eventer
Dec. 15, 2011, 09:36 PM
I have a custom fitted monoflap jump saddle that would spit saddle pads out. Ecogold saddle pad fixed the problem! Love them!

Firefox
Dec. 15, 2011, 09:42 PM
are you sure you're not putting the saddle too far forward to begin with, and thus it's sliding back to where it should be?

Generally, my saddle fitter says that a saddle will go where it needs to go, that being said I have an ecogold pad (xc model) and love it!! wish I had the bucks to buy more!!

CiegoStar
Dec. 15, 2011, 09:55 PM
These are not Toby approved. He has an allergy to neoprene.

What about a leather chamois? You can get them at auto repair shops. We used them before the non-slip pads came into style. Wet, wring out extra water, and put next to skin.

yellowbritches
Dec. 15, 2011, 10:05 PM
What about a leather chamois? You can get them at auto repair shops. We used them before the non-slip pads came into style. Wet, wring out extra water, and put next to skin.
Tried. They caused rubs.

LAZ
Dec. 15, 2011, 10:30 PM
LOL, can't help you on the Ecogold as I've never had one, but I did want to say reading with comprehension seems to be a problem here... :lol:

yellowbritches
Dec. 15, 2011, 10:36 PM
LOL, can't help you on the Ecogold as I've never had one, but I did want to say reading with comprehension seems to be a problem here... :lol:
Oh my...I was trying to be nice. You know, holiday spirit and all. Maybe people are tired? ;)

LAZ
Dec. 15, 2011, 10:47 PM
Oh my...I was trying to be nice. You know, holiday spirit and all. Maybe people are tired? ;)

You were nice, and I didn't mean to be snotty but it tickled my funny bone...

Hey Mickey
Dec. 15, 2011, 10:51 PM
Have you tried a shammy? I honestly don't know what they are called in real life. its a tan square of some type of fabric that you wet and put onto the horses back?

Or one of those gel no slip pads that are really sticky and full of little holes.

I feel your pain... I have a horse who just has a lot of movement in his back, everything slides on him, breastplate is always tight.. I have had luck with both of the above things.

I do have an Ecogold pad, (the cross country one) I like it a lot, to me, when I've used it, it seems like my saddle doesn't slip as much. I

yellowbritches
Dec. 15, 2011, 10:55 PM
You were nice, and I didn't mean to be snotty but it tickled my funny bone...
I didn't think you were being snotty! I was glad someone else noticed! :lol:

Mickey- shammy=chamois. No go.

NSRider
Dec. 15, 2011, 11:07 PM
If you want to try the ecogold pad and on a budget, try ebay. I purchased mine off of there and got free shipping to boot!

I use the triple protection half pad and it's excellent :) LOVE it!

alto
Dec. 15, 2011, 11:13 PM
Go back to saddle fit - what you're using doesn't cause him discomfort but they also do not fit (maybe the tree is slightly too curvy for his back or the panels are not broad enough or too broad etc???).

FP's saddle story is similar, first 2 saddles fit well enough to not bother him but you had to be careful not to end up sideways ... enter County, that saddle stays in position even when the girth is way loose (oops), with no pad, with a sheepskin pad, with a cotton pad.

So I didn't read either ;) BUT as compensation, order direct from Ecogold & it's risk free as they offer a performance warranty (http://www.ecogold.ca/customer-care/warranty.html).

gold2012
Dec. 15, 2011, 11:50 PM
We have both the xc and the dressage. We also use the Nunn finer for stadium. Since you can't use the neoprene...cause that does work well...about the Eco gold...

They wash amazingly!! Come completely white after use, and this last time, I forgot to wash for a week, and still came spotless.

The Irish has major jump, and we have to be careful, because if the saddle slides back much, it is tight thru the five way, which we don't want!

Since using the Eco-gold, it has stayed in place. The sweat is even, and his back seems cooler then pads we had been using.

The dressage pad, is without a doubt our favorite. As much as I would love to have a saddle that fits each horse she has, not happening! That pad always keeps saddle in place! Now granted, we might use something on top to help with fit, but that pad is amazing!

We need a couple more, but they are pricey......so we make do with one, but between rides we flip it over, wipe w damp cloth, and usually it is dry by time we need it again!

I would recommend it!

gully's pilot
Dec. 16, 2011, 07:51 AM
I find my ecogold really doesn't slip at all. I use it to run xc and I've really liked it. It washes very well, except for the places where my breastplate straps rub it. I don't know if it would cause allergy issues--I have no idea what it's made of. But it breathes really well, and seems to keep Gully's back cooler than an ordinary pad.

wildlifer
Dec. 16, 2011, 08:37 AM
I will preface by saying that I am super picky and all science-girl critical of new products and I HATE trendy things on principle.

I will then say -- I LOVE Ecogold pads. I have the Secure pad. The stuff on the website is not propaganda -- it is totally true. My horses, despite ridiculous money spent on saddle fitters and saddles, have pressure issues. I put that pad on, magically solved. Saddle also does not move longitudinally. Breathability is amazing and my horses love it.

Customer service is unparalleled. Really -- when the first pad I ordered was too big, they said "no problem, we'll reprogram our machine, you just send us the measurement you want." OMG, ok. No extra charge.

I'm lazy, I don't hand wash. I've washed the pad several times in my old school washing machine, I just soak it and then wash it on the delicate cycle, it comes out good as new.

The only thing I've had affect it at all was when I used a breastplate on a very long trail ride on my first one and it rubbed a small patch of the grippy layer off the front where it crossed over. Since then, I've just set it up so I either use a breastcollar or put the plate so it does not contact the pad.

Jealoushe
Dec. 16, 2011, 09:15 AM
Ecogold, they really do stop the slip. Maybe if you have an extreme case it won't solve it %1000, but it will help. It may actually fix it entirely though, I have seen them do a lot of good with saddles that slip or don't fit.

Jazzy Lady
Dec. 16, 2011, 09:22 AM
Roux has a neoprene allergy too. He wears fur lined everything. However, I use this girth on him: http://greenhawk.net/cgi-local/SoftCart.exe/scstore/p-RIE0005.html?L+scstore+hwrw7142ff471047+1324051250 It's a terrible picture, and I know it says it's neoprene, but it's coated with something. Hard to explain. Roux has never had a reaction to it.

eventer_mi
Dec. 16, 2011, 10:19 AM
I'm interested in this thread as well, as Oliver is also a pad-spitter. Both his saddles were fitted by a reputable saddler, who also uses a computerized pressure pad to aid her, and he has perfect scans in both saddles. So, I know they fit and he's comfortable. Both of my saddles are Black Countrys - a Tex Eventer and an Eloquence. The Tex Eventer is the guilty one - it spits the regular pads out, but the Ecogold half-pad I use (the triple protection one) doesn't budge, and it doesn't even have the no-slip properties of their no-slip pads. The bottom cotton pads always shoot out. A Nun-Finer no-slip helps some.

Btw, their "hype" is not hype. My saddle fitter saw my Ecogold half-pad, was intrigued, watched the non-scientific YouTube videos, and then did some pressure scanning with her computerized pad on her own. She was NOT funded by them, nor is affiliated with them in any way - she was just curious. Guess what? They do as they claim. Even with a poorly fitting, too-narrow saddle, with hard-packed wool-flocking, the pads improved the fit and alleviated pressure points. Quite impressive.

Btw, I use my Ecogold half-pad because the saddle sits just a tad too low on his withers (he has some BIG withers) and while the rest of the saddle fits fine, it needs a touch more lift all over. He has been very happy with his pad and hasn't shown any signs of discomfort, even when I ride like a monkey with a football over jumps. I love the Ecogold products - I also have a set of their XC boots, bought when they had a promo of buy all four for $200 and get free shipping.

Dec. 16, 2011, 10:22 AM
You all are a bunch of ecogold enablers!! You are not helping with my self restraint at ALL!! lol

SayAngel
Dec. 16, 2011, 11:12 AM
I have one saddle pad that likes to slip back as I work, and what I've found to work is placing the pad on him first, then a nunn-finer no slip pad on top of it, then my saddle. It stopped the slipping.

yellowbritches
Dec. 16, 2011, 11:22 AM
Just to be clear, the issue isn't about losing the saddle pads, but EVERYTHING. Half pad, square pad, and saddle all move back en mass. Everything is neatly in place, just further back from where it began.

I do get saddles will move back to their rightful spot, but this is way more than that. The jumping saddle doesn't get the chance the dressage saddle does since I always use a breastplate with it, but the breastplate is usually quite snug and you can see the strain on the billets.

Thanks for those who gave me some very insightful info on what I was asking about. Good to know that what they say on the website seems to hold up in the real world. I'm skeptical when it comes to things that claim to work wonder and have big price tags.

A friend is bringing me one of her Ecogold pads to try when she visits me this weekend, so at least we can have a test drive!

KateKat
Dec. 16, 2011, 11:32 AM
so do you guys just use the Ecogold pad directly on the back? Otherwise I'm not sure how else it would work with the supposed non slip properties. I'm particularly interested in the triple foam half pad one.

And I also see they only come in standard sizes, are those generous enough to fit an 18 saddle?

eventer_mi
Dec. 16, 2011, 11:52 AM
KateK - the triple foam half pad one doesn't have any antislip properties - it has sort of a fuzzy fleecy bottom. But mine doesn't slip - just the cotton pad underneath. The one that all the pros are endorsing is the XC one, and that does have the antislip backing that goes directly on your horse.

Can anybody tell me if the antislip ones have the triple protection foam built in? or do you have to use the half-pad on top of the XC pad? The website isn't clear on that.

Amanda, does your horse have a very backwards girth groove? You know how some horses have a very forward girth groove? That tends to pull the saddles FORWARD, so they use that anatomic girth to keep it where it belongs, while allowing the girth to stay where IT wants to belong. There is such a thing as a backwards girth groove - Oliver has one, and a normal girth tends to pull his saddle back (saddle, pad, and all - like yours) so that it slides back to where it wants to be. i've solved this somewhat by using an anatomic girth (the cheaper Toulouse one) and putting it on BACKWARDS, so that the girth lies where it wants to lie, but then the billets angle to where the saddle should lie. Does this make sense? I also use the back two billets on my saddle to help keep it from being pulled back as well.

yellowbritches
Dec. 16, 2011, 12:08 PM
If I understand you correctly, I don't think this is the issue.. When I tack him up, everything seems to line up correctly. I'm not sure about this. I'll have to look at it some.

I have an anatomical girth and it rubbed him raw in the elbows. Hence, fuzzy. I don't know if reversing it would help.

Jazzy Lady
Dec. 16, 2011, 12:22 PM
I have an anatomical girth and it rubbed him raw in the elbows. Hence, fuzzy. I don't know if reversing it would help.

Congratulations! I think you have a horse that is more pain in the ass than my own. I feel for your head banging. Have a margarita.

At least the expensive stuff you have to use *should* last longer?

yellowbritches
Dec. 16, 2011, 12:29 PM
Congratulations! I think you have a horse that is more pain in the ass than my own. I feel for your head banging. Have a margarita.

At least the expensive stuff you have to use *should* last longer?

Oh, lucky me! :lol: We did joke that I sold the world's first most sensitive horse (Vernon) and I bought the second most sensitive skinned horse (Toby). But now I'm not so sure. Vernon had all his food allergies and he could get rubbed easily, and did better with the sheepskin route, but he didn't have all the reactions to things that Toby does! So, I say again, lucky me. :lol:

gold2012
Dec. 16, 2011, 12:33 PM
YB, we use the ecoogold directly on the horse, topped with a riser, never moves. We have the ones with an anti slip backing. You need to call and ask them if it has any neoprene in it, cause I dontknow what it has in it...but I know it works amazing!!! And we have no sponsorship with them, it just is a great product!

deltawave
Dec. 16, 2011, 12:47 PM
I swear to God if I could fine ONE saddlepad that does everything I want it to do, I'd pay just about anything.

Is it too much to ask for no-slip, adequate cushion without being hugely bulky, well-fitting, suitably sized for little horses and not hideously ugly??

The Ecogolds might be all of the above, but they are NOT attractive. Probably the least important criterion, so perhaps I ought to give them a chance.

Right now I use a non-slip under my padson Boscoe because his stuff slips backwards, too, in spite of good fit--he's just long in the back and I think that's part of it. Then I use an ancient (20+ years old, I kid you not) Poly Pad, then a nondescript sheepskin half pad for a little extra cushion. Works great, but that's THREE THINGS I'm putting on. I HATE MULTIPLE THINGS. :mad: Newer Poly Pads are too poofy, I hate big square pads (my horses are small) and all of my dressage saddles are monoflaps so superfluous straps are a waste of time and a nuisance.

OK, rant over, sorry YB. :D If the Ecogolds weren't so danged ugly maybe I'd buy one. :p

Saskatoonian
Dec. 16, 2011, 01:02 PM
I've never used them - too ugly - but we have a lot at my barn, and I'm surprised at all of the comments that they wash well. They're all dingy as hell from very early on. One friend told me she'd done everything to get the thing white again - some insane scrubbing protocol - and it still looked filthy. Everyone loves them, though.

wildlifer
Dec. 16, 2011, 01:06 PM
DW, Ecogold does make square pads. That's what I have (the "jumper" version) -- I do not like the XC pads either, I think the shape is ugly.

KateKat, yes you need to have it touching the horse for the grip to work, LOL. The size are, IMO, very large. I got the XL one at first b/c my jumping saddle is 18" but it was really far too big, so I traded it in for a smaller one.

eventer_mi, the nonslip pads do have technical foam, but not as much as the half pad does. I am getting ready to order a half pad to add cushion to my nonslip version because I have a saddle that sits a wee bit too wide.

ETA -- I did not get a white one, they do come in colors, mine is navy blue. I am incapable of keeping white things clean.

deltawave
Dec. 16, 2011, 01:33 PM
Maybe I'll look at their half pads.

NOTE TO SADDLE PAD MAKERS:

Not all horses are strapping, big-bodied warmbloods! Please make some pads for 15.2 hand-ish horses, too! Ones that don't make them look like a kid wearing his dad's shirt. :)

And Ecogold pads need a shape revision. :dead: :lol:

yellowbritches
Dec. 16, 2011, 01:42 PM

Not all horses are strapping, big-bodied warmbloods! Please make some pads for 15.2 hand-ish horses, too! Ones that don't make them look like a kid wearing his dad's shirt. :)

I hear ya! I've struggled with this for years! I don't ride big horses...Vernon was "big" at a hefty 16h. He was also short coupled, so most pads still looked big on him (he went a lot of times in JUST a half pad). I like neat pads that are as long as my saddle is (back to front) but not inches more and definitely not tons of room in the drop. I don't see why I that is so hard! :lol:

gold2012
Dec. 16, 2011, 01:44 PM
I've never used them - too ugly - but we have a lot at my barn, and I'm surprised at all of the comments that they wash well. They're all dingy as hell from very early on. One friend told me she'd done everything to get the thing white again - some insane scrubbing protocol - and it still looked filthy. Everyone loves them, though.

No joke, here is what I do..and has the Nunn Finer logo on it...

Hot water, in regular washer, cup bleach, tide, color catcher sheet and some Oxyclean. Comes out sparkling clean.

Blugal
Dec. 16, 2011, 02:12 PM
Soooo.... would this pad maybe help with a horse who has no/square withers and the saddle slides from side to side?

poltroon
Dec. 16, 2011, 02:17 PM

Not all horses are strapping, big-bodied warmbloods! Please make some pads for 15.2 hand-ish horses, too! Ones that don't make them look like a kid wearing his dad's shirt. :):

Try 14 hands! :lol:

HollysHobbies
Dec. 16, 2011, 02:17 PM
VTO carries the "success brand" -- a knockoff brand.

The Eco Gold pad did not prevent my horse's saddle from moving forward. His conformation and movement make even a fitted saddle gravitate up and that's that...it just creates a LOT more friction on it's way there. I definately recommend getting a THICK contoured girth and see if that helps. I have a SERIOUSLY wide dressage LEATHER dressage girth (a Luc Childeric) and it makes a huge difference in saddle stablization. I wrap it in vet-wrap to add a little more padding and non-slip surface. (my fitter though this was GENIUS on my part!!!) The saddle is much more unstable in a Wintec elastic girth, a fleece girth, a rubber like girth, or even a traditional leather girth. I kept trying other girths thinking they would be more comfortable, but I keep coming back to this girth. My mare will actually PIN HER EARS and throw a little fit if she hears another girth's jingles...she's fine with the luc childeric girth though.

The EcoGold did cause rubs under the cantle from friction (saddle is very recently fitted) on my hard to fit gelding.

I liked the non-slip pad on my mare, but she is an easier fit...she just slips a saddle side to side and a little forward...easier to deal with than my gelding.

In short, I'd go girth shopping first. You're not dealing with a little slippage here where a little stablization will help.

I'm thinking your saddle might slip less if you decrease all that padding and just get it fitted professionally (if you haven't already).

Good luck! My fitter always puts saddles WAAAAY further back than I think they should be (although my horse will walk them forward anyway), so I'd have a fitter out just to have him watch the saddle migration and offer solutions.

goodmorning
Dec. 16, 2011, 02:25 PM
If the Ecogolds weren't so danged ugly maybe I'd buy one. :p

I do wish they came in a traditional square-pad, stream-lined look. The dressage pads seem more appealing than the h/j or xc pad, which is actually kind of cool looking in the dark grey color they offer. And of course, they'd fix the look as soon as I ordered it.

Renn/aissance
Dec. 16, 2011, 02:33 PM
YB- I love EcoGold pads. I have two for Tip. The first one is four years old and is starting to show wear around the girth; the second is three years old and looks pristine. It has replaced his breastplate and works better. They hold up well and I have also found that they do seem to have some kind of shock absorption as his vet commented on his lack of back soreness after switching over. Hopefully you have the same results.

I had one of their square pads for him at one point and for what it's worth, it looked normal on him- not too big. Then again, he is, er, ribs rather more well sprung than the typical horse of his height. ;)

HollysHobbies
Dec. 16, 2011, 02:33 PM
Again, try the Success brand (VTO). They look they have different shapes/sizes! I haven't tried one though!

yellowbritches
Dec. 16, 2011, 03:51 PM
I have a SERIOUSLY wide dressage LEATHER dressage girth (a Luc Childeric) and it makes a huge difference in saddle stablization.
I HAVE a seriously wide, contoured, ergonomic girth and it rubs his elbows raw. It just doesn't work. If this were JUST a saddle fit/stabilization issue, I could try a lot more of these ideas, but the problem is Toby has so many secondary issues with his skin that I can't DO a lot of this. If he doesn't have some sort of allergic reaction, he gets rubbed.

And, just for the record, I have no desire to get saddles I use on multiple horses fit. If they truly did not fit him and he was uncomfortable, I would give up and shop for something, but he is extremely happy and loving life. Saddles that only fit ONE horse just won't work for me.

Renn, I'm glad to hear they work for Tip. I remember his issues and I think Toby's are similar (Toby's a bit more of a greyhound, though!).

alto
Dec. 16, 2011, 04:38 PM
And, just for the record, I have no desire to get saddles I use on multiple horses fit. If they truly did not fit him and he was uncomfortable, I would give up and shop for something, but he is extremely happy and loving life. Saddles that only fit ONE horse just won't work for me.

The solution is simple enough, take your saddle(s) when horse shopping, if saddle don't fit, take horse off Buy List :lol:

On a more serious note, call the nice folks at Eco Gold & see what they suggest - if it doesn't solve the issue, they'll take back the pad & refund your money.

Duckz
Dec. 16, 2011, 09:22 PM
YB, in about a week I'll give you an update. Just ordered one on ebay to see if it can work the miracles it claims ;) I have a brand new saddle, specially made based on my horse's back tracings (done by a respected saddle fitter), and it slides. Dammit.

asterix
Dec. 16, 2011, 09:29 PM
You can get your saddles fit without giving up the ability to use them on multiple horses. I have my fitter come out and we fit the saddle best to whoever I ride the most (I know this may not work for you, but...), and the other horse uses shims in his sheepskin pads to make it work. Obviously this only works for horses who are similar shapes, but those are the only ones you can share saddles with anyway....

Firefox
Dec. 16, 2011, 10:04 PM

They do, ceck out the hunter versions, shaped with fleece around the edge and the nonslip underneath

enjoytheride
Dec. 16, 2011, 11:15 PM
Not neoprene, not a chamois, says it's breatheable. Affordable.

Don't own one but maybe worth a try
http://www.sstack.com/English_Saddle-Pads_Protective/D-tech-Anti-slip-Gel-Half-Pad/

These are also nice

http://www.gel-eze.com/

They are man made materials, but maybe he isn't allergic to them?

fatappy
Dec. 19, 2011, 01:13 PM
I don't know much about ecogold's, so I probably shouldn't be responding.... but another no slip solution that I have had success with is a yoga mat. From your post, he'll probably be allergic or get rubbed, but they're cheap and they serve many purposes (i LOVE sticking a yoga mat on a horse horse when they've lost a shoe, absorbs some shock without the bulk of a diaper!). If that's not breathable enough for your guy, you can try a shelf liners. they're less dense and more breathable than a yoga mat, but still no-slip. You can get a roll for $8 at Target/ Walmart.

Also, I've never had good luck with fleece girth covers. I may as well but the saddle on my horse's belly. Maybe the Lettia CoolMax girth cover? The coolmax fabric is what touches your horse. It may be a little less slippery because there is less fluff. I LOVE my coolmax girths. I do a lot less shifting from side to side and girth tightening with these then a regular fleece girth!

Anyway... I digress, Good Luck!

yellowbritches
Dec. 19, 2011, 02:42 PM
All of his girths are the Lettia CoolMax girths. They help a bit, though, not with the slipping!

yellowbritches
Dec. 19, 2011, 09:15 PM
So, I've used an Ecogold pad now twice (after trying to figure out which of the three I was brought would fit my saddle. Answer: None, really, but one is close enough). Yesterday, in an effort to not make a DRASTIC change, I used the pad with a half pad on top of it. Slipped like crazy. Today, did JUST the Ecogold and, yay!, it stayed basically in place (slipped a little, but I always think SOME slippage is normal. Just not the amounts I was getting!). Tomorrow, a jump school, will be a big test.

Of course, the amount it slipped yesterday does leave a question mark. Maybe the half pad IS too much? That being said, I went through every pad combination when Toby first arrived, and got slipping with everything...so, I'm skeptical.

SprinklerBandit
Dec. 21, 2011, 05:17 PM
Oh! Keep us updated.

Toadie's mom
Dec. 21, 2011, 06:18 PM
So, I used the pad with a half pad on top of it. Slipped like crazy. Today, did JUST the Ecogold and, yay!, it stayed basically in place (slipped a little, but I always think SOME slippage is normal. Just not the amounts I was getting!). Tomorrow, a jump school, will be a big test.

Of course, the amount it slipped yesterday does leave a question mark. Maybe the half pad IS too much? That being said, I went through every pad combination when Toby first arrived, and got slipping with everything...so, I'm skeptical.
Out of curiostiy, which Ecogold pad are you trying? When you say you used "the pad with a half pad on top" are you talking an Ecogold with a different brand of 1/2 pad, or both Ecogold?

LTLFLDF
Dec. 21, 2011, 10:39 PM
I am curious too as to which pads you are trying since most of the "pads" have memory foam half pads built into them unless you are trying an older model.

Which half pad, the regular half pad or the triple protection half pad?

yellowbritches
Dec. 22, 2011, 08:52 AM
Sorry. Clarification. I used one of my regular sheepskins on top.

I'm not sure what I am using, and they are older (as one of my boarders said yesterday as I was tacking up "retro"). But it has the no slip surface on the bottom, a little cushion under the panels of the saddle, and no slip on top, as well. It is a xc pad (the square pad was too short for my very forward saddle. I need to see if my dressage pad would work).

Langfuhr
Dec. 26, 2011, 11:07 PM
I love, love my Ecogold!!!!! I ride in fl year round, its the only pad that he doesnt boil in. And I love the XC shape

yellowbritches
Dec. 27, 2011, 07:30 PM
Well, I have now jumped and used my dressage saddle with the Ecogolds, and damnit, they work. I was VERY pleased with how well it worked with my dressage saddle today, especially. Soooo, I'm going to email the company and get an idea as to which pads I need (Stabilizer or Secure), and I guess I'm going to be shelling out some money soon. Thank goodness for a windfall!

gold2012
Dec. 27, 2011, 09:38 PM
Lol. I can feel your agony YB...but darn if they dont work.

Duckz
Jan. 15, 2012, 04:03 PM
I'd just like to add to the Ecogold praise. I got the jumper stabilizer pad and tried it out yesterday. My saddle didn't budge one bit. I can't wait to try it on the trails.

I have to laugh though - it looks like someone took shelf liner to a saddle pad. Maybe I could have saved myself $100 with a DIY solution? :lol:

feetofclay1678
Jan. 15, 2012, 08:50 PM
I have the ecogold high wither hunter/jumper pad with shims. LOVE IT! It is the only pad that doesnt slide down on my guy's huge withers and get tight and rub him raw...also the only pad that doesnt want to get spat out the back of the saddle :) I will never use a different pad on him again.The only thing I would do different now, is not get the white pad for everyday use...it looks gross in a hurry on the underside. It does wash pretty easily, but will never look new again...my boy is a big sweater. My guy's myofascial therapist asked what kind of saddle pad I use on him just for general knowledge and when I told her I use an Ecogold, she was very happy and said that they are the only pads she can really recommend anymore.

deltawave
Jan. 15, 2012, 08:52 PM
Sharing my experience--I bought one of the Success knock-offs, and started using it UNDER a baby pad, right against my horse's fur. It worked better than some of the others, but the baby pad still slipped back.

Then I tried it OVER the baby pad, thinking it would be a waste of time . . . no slipping! Not sure how that works, but hey, I'll take it! :)

Toadie's mom
Jan. 15, 2012, 09:58 PM
In a bid to try to save potentially a couple of grand I bought an Ecogold pad today to delay the search for a new saddle. Well, I took the sellers word for it that the pads had gone up in price this year. I checked the Ecogold website after I got home, and LO and BEHOLD the prices have not changed! With tax, I over paid $25 (that's taking into consideration the shipping charge from CA.) I'll call tomorrow to ask about returning. Stay tuned:mad:

Toadie's mom
Jan. 16, 2012, 12:10 PM
Seller 1st told me to bring the pad back, because "that was the last one she had, and she'll have no trouble selling it to someone else." By the end of the conversation she decided to send me a check for the difference.

Just be sure to compare prices before you buy. FYI, Smartpak sells them for the same price as Ecogold themselves.

jackalini
Jan. 17, 2012, 10:37 AM
Got my triple protection half pad in yesterday and rode with it last night - I'm very happy with it so far. :)

I was concerned about it being a bit small, as I have an 18.5" saddle with extra, EXTRA forward flaps. No problem at all - the pad had plenty of length and depth. It certainly shows underneath, not at all hidden like my thinline, wintec and sheepskin half pads are. I used it over a regular thin square pad, as my mare is in full filthy winter woolies mode, and she needs a clean pad each ride or the funk ensues.

It's very light, and my picky mare seemed to be quite peachy with it.

Only thing I think might be useful for some to know is that it isn't particularly contoured along the spine area, so if you have a horse with really high or pronounced withers, I'm not sure what that would do to the fit.

yellowbritches
Jan. 17, 2012, 11:04 AM
I've actually changed my mind and will stick with my current operating procedure (sheepskin on the bottom). I rode in the Ecogolds a bit more, and was having the same issues, so I couldn't justify spending money like that on something that wasn't solving my issues and which I am still unconvinced won't cause skin issues.

Besides, I think I am breaking down and getting a different saddle. Not necessarily because of the slipping issue, but just because I'm just unhappy with the saddle I have for multiple reasons...rather see what I get from that, then readdress any slipping issue we might have.

eventer_mi
Jan. 17, 2012, 12:17 PM
To add to the conversation, my saddle fitter friend gave me an Ecogold XC pad as a thank-you for getting her into these (she sells them now) and I tried it with my saddle that keeps spitting all other pads out. No slip. Amazing. The Nunn Finer no-slip doesn't work, a chamois doesn't work - the only thing that worked was an uber-expensive (but not as expensive as the Ecogold) perforated gel pad that's sticky like those wacky wall-walker things. I think it helps that the no-stick is on the bottom and the top of the pad.

I love both my Ecogolds and am planning on using my gift certificate to buy a white one for stadium.

Keg-A-Bacchus
Jan. 17, 2012, 10:46 PM
I just ordered the Triple Protection pad for my growing and VERY sensitive girl! She's downhill and short backed and we're having a horrible time trying to get her in a saddle that fits us both. She's definitely getting frustrated and I'm hoping this pad eliminates any pressure points that may be occuring as she's changing and growing and downhill. Fingers crossed! I'll keep you all posted!

FrittSkritt
Jan. 19, 2012, 10:59 AM
Just got my Triple Protection half pad last night. Seems a bit stiff, so I'll be curious to see if it makes a difference with my back-sensitive gelding.

FWIW, I use one of these for XC, and my pads don't budge one bit: http://www.bigdweb.com/SADDLE-TOWEL-NON-SLIP-36-X-30/productinfo/P120/ They're not made of neoprene, and they don't rub. I assume you could get one from any racing tack shop.

Stacie
Apr. 22, 2012, 12:03 PM
My saddle fitter talked me into the ecogold pads. I was taken back by the rubbery underside, but she assured me that it was the best thing ever.
Not for this pony!
we first started using it in January. First 75 degree day where she really sweated, we took the pad off and
1. The horse's skin was pulled, wrinkled and folded in places. Looked like the pad "stuck" so well it pinched and pulled. She looked like she may even had a reaction to it.
2. The skin was HOT HOT HOT.
3. She was soaked under the saddle.

That also explains why she had during the previous month become girthy and actually bucked a few times after mounting. Both stopped when we went back to the Lettia coolmax pad. The first day we went back to the old pad, she walked off from the mounting block, dropped her head and sighed. She was so happy :)

Anyway, I've got two of these pads, one used once, the other maybe 2 dozen times, that I will never use again.