PDA

View Full Version : Interviewing for WS position

brandcoop
Dec. 15, 2011, 08:05 PM
Hey there everyone.

I was recently invited by Phyllis Dawson to go up to Virginia and have an interview/trial period for a working student position at Windchase. I've had my share of tough trainers and I've been employed at working show barns multiple times, so I'm not the type to cry or break down when given tough criticism. So I was wondering if any of you have had experiences with Phyllis or been up to Windchase and could give me some tips as to what I should expect, etc.

Thanks!

IronwoodFarm
Dec. 16, 2011, 05:39 AM
I've known Phyllis since she was 4 years old. She is tough, but extremely fair and has a dry sense of humor. Her farm is lovely and she has created a successful horse business. That took a great deal of hard work and determination.

Phyllis will never ask anyone to do something that she would not do herself. She expects people to be self-starters and to think ahead. I think she has a great deal to teach someone who is interested in running a successful business that focuses on sales and training, particularly.

Just be natural in your interview. The most important part of any working student relationship is compatibility with the barn and the staff. You need to honestly consider how well you would fit into the team there. The best way to find out is to be as natural and direct as possible. And have fun!

mustangsal85
Dec. 16, 2011, 09:03 AM
There are quite a few threads on here about Phyllis and the program at Windchase, one of them actually was started by me! Just do a search and you should find them! :) Good luck with your interview!! I dropped out of my hunt for a WS job because I realized I needed to put some money aside before I started finding jobs.