PDA

View Full Version : Help me resist Courbette bridles on TOTD....

Grasshopper
Dec. 15, 2011, 01:08 PM
I'm very, very tempted. Now, I have all the eventing and foxhunting bridles I need. But the price is so good! And I kind of think the filly may want to play around in the hunters...and would look cute in a cognac bridle. In an attempt to talk myself out of them, I remembered I'd prefer a cutout/comfort crown.

But...the price is so good! :lol:

2DogsFarm
Dec. 15, 2011, 01:23 PM
I'm no help at all.
One ofthe best-made bridles I ever owned was a Courbette.

Bought despite the withering scorn of my H/J - at the time - trainer some 20+ years ago.
To her if it wasn't <Insert-H/J-Tack-du-Jour-circa-late80s> it was not worth buying.

That bridle lasted for over 10 years of near daily use & shows, I still have it.
I only replaced it when horse stepped on the reins and tore off the buckle end.
At least that was my excuse for buying a new Stubben....
(still have that one too)

Fancy That
Dec. 15, 2011, 01:44 PM
I'll help you!

If you are tempted to wander into Hunter Land, the show bridle you might want to buy should, ideally, be padded with a wider noseband (and to your point, a cut-out comfort crown)

This type of bridle looks good on super refined/dainty heads.....but I find that in the Hunters, most folks are doing WIDE NOSEBAND, or definitely PADDED browband and noseband (sometimes the nosebands aren't padded if they are those really wide, raised ones :) I also prefer to at least have that flap of leather that protects the buckle from the horse at the bottom of the noseband.

That said - this is a SMOKIN HOT DEAL for a very HIGH QUALITY Bridle! Normally $260 and only $69??!! I was tempted too :)

Here's my show bridle (http://www.equusnow.com/prodimages/redbarnspirit.jpg). KL Select/Red Barn retails for $240 and I got it for $70 (new) Has the padded browband and padded wider noseband (as well as raised reins) LOVE IT!

Carried Away
Dec. 15, 2011, 01:54 PM
oooh, I'm no help because I really really want a girth!! Thankfully (for my wallet) they do not have the size I need :( Great deals today!

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 15, 2011, 01:59 PM
I'm very, very tempted. Now, I have all the eventing and foxhunting bridles I need. But the price is so good! And I kind of think the filly may want to play around in the hunters...and would look cute in a cognac bridle. In an attempt to talk myself out of them, I remembered I'd prefer a cutout/comfort crown.

But...the price is so good! :lol:

If it will fit your horse...go get one. At that price...it would make a great bridle to just use for the jogs.

I looked...they didn't have a size that would work fo me.

Mouse&Bay
Dec. 15, 2011, 02:03 PM
What is TOTD?

You guys are killing me... I *love* Courbette bridles and my pony just outgrew the cob sized one she inherited from my previous horse.

Where do I find this marvelous deal? :eek:

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 15, 2011, 02:07 PM
http://www.tackoftheday.com/Community.aspx

Affiliated with Bit of Britian. They put up new deals every week day.

purplnurpl
Dec. 15, 2011, 02:14 PM
I used to always buy Courbette and Keifer.

10 years ago they were so much nicer.

A way better buy for a hunter bridle would be here:

nicer leather and wider padding.
http://www.smartpakequine.com/harwich-padded-fancy-stitch-bridle-by-smartpak-7215p.aspx?cm_sp=Category-_-TopPick-_-7215

oh booo.
All the Harwichs were on sale a few months back for 85 bucks.
I bought 4. : )
They are nicer than all of my other big $$$ bridles combined.

purplnurpl
Dec. 15, 2011, 02:17 PM
this one has a cut back monocrown.

http://www.smartpakequine.com/plymouth-elite-hunter-bridle-by-smartpak-9856p.aspx?cm_vc=Search

BoyleHeightsKid
Dec. 15, 2011, 02:21 PM
That IS a great deal and I'm tempted as well.... good thing it's close to Christmas and I need to save my money for gifts. But wait... I haven't gotten a gift for my ponee yet! Hehe

CatchMeIfUCan
Dec. 15, 2011, 02:47 PM
I used to always buy Courbette and Keifer.

10 years ago they were so much nicer.

I bought a Courbette bridle 8 years ago, and it has been used daily and at shows and still looks almost brand new. I love Courbette bridles!!! If the quality has declined in last 10 years, I haven't seen it.

Grasshopper
Dec. 15, 2011, 02:50 PM
Thanks for the input, y'all. ;)

I managed to hold out long enough that the cob size (which filly takes) sold out! :cool:

But will keep your input in mind if I come across another deal. The earliest she'll be showing would be next fall, anyway, and with my luck her head will grow more. Meanwhile I've got a Micklem for her, and she can also wear any of the mare's bridles if I adjust them a bit.

She has kind of a pony-ish head--short, with a wide forehead, and the pony forelock to go with it. So a very wide bridle would overwhelm it, but perhaps a moderately wide noseband would help to balance it a bit.

mackandblues
Dec. 15, 2011, 05:25 PM
I want the black girth! I'm buying a new to me saddle to fit my shark finned horse I think for xmas and so my brown girth would just clash horribly! lol

Beau_Justice
Dec. 16, 2011, 11:12 AM
I am tempted and I don't even own a horse right now. Curse you, TOTD, you are terrible for me.

froglander
Dec. 16, 2011, 01:19 PM
So...now that it's the next day, did you resist or succumb?