PDA

View Full Version : Conformation Help

MtyMax
Dec. 15, 2011, 09:50 AM
I'm trying to become better educated on conformation. I see people mentioning things like weak connection or weak hindend on a lot of the OTTB threads and I have no idea what you all are talking about :lol: So, where can I go to learn about conformation? Any useful books or websites?

Does anyone want to post a picture and analyze it?

Thanks!

netg
Dec. 15, 2011, 10:32 AM
What you need is back issues of Equus and the Dr. Hilary Clayton articles. She's putting science to the wisdom which has gathered for centuries to prove what is true and what is a fallacy. I find her work pretty fascinating, though remember that attitude, try and training always help make up for problems, and there is no such thing as a perfect horse.

I see a lot that I completely disagree with in the conformation threads, but I also have a definite type. The horses I lean toward and do well with are the ones who are possibly too short in the back and need loosening up there, and maybe don't naturally bend their hocks that much but have a lot of sitting ability behind. I'm good at teaching activity behind and movement in the back. My horses get MUCH stronger in weak loins, so I don't necessarily mind that as much as other people do. I do, however, make sure the S/I joint and hip joints are lined up because those are the horses I get to sit well (you have to feel that; despite what people will tell you, it's not generally something you can tell from a photo.) Other people are great at teaching a horse who naturally wants to trail its legs out behind to bring them under. Others are great at getting a downhill horse to learn to move uphill. It's all about learning what you are most skilled at and working with that.