PDA

View Full Version : Anyone read Training the Three-Day Event Horse & Rider?

ake987
Dec. 13, 2011, 11:31 AM
I am a bookworm that loves to read well-written, informative books on riding and horse care just as much as I love reading things like Lord of the Rings and A Song of Ice & Fire (or better known as "Game of Thrones", the first book in the series). I am mostly interested in eventing books, as I've found dressage-only books a bit dry and too technical without explanations - okay, you can tell me to use a leg yield in order to do this, this, and this, but what if I didn't know how to leg yield in the first place?! (FTR, I do know how to leg yield now ;))

Mary Wanless' Ride With Your Mind: An Illustrated Masterclass in Right Brain Riding (thank you EqTrainer, for the recommendation over a year ago!) provided me with several "AHA!" moments and I really loved her writing style - she addressed a lot of the dogmas in riding that can be detrimental to riders if they are not interpreted or taught correctly, and also explained a lot of techniques in ways that I was able to comprehend and try myself (re: pinching, bearing down, etc), some of which had quite a positive impact on my riding.

Sally O'Connor's Common Sense Dressage and Practical Eventing did not "grab" me like Mary Wanless did, but I did like those quite a bit and learned from them, as well. Though I have to admit, I owe it to myself (& Sally!) to go back and read them more thoroughly.

So, I asked for a used copy of Jimmy Wofford's Training the Three-Day Event Horse & Rider for Xmas, and I would love to hear what others have to say about it. I am only going on three years in the eventing world, and I know Wofford is made of the stuff that is of indisputable quality, which is why I asked for his book, after peeking at what I could through Amazon's nifty little "See inside this book" feature. Also, winter break starts after my last final tomorrow, so I can put down stats books and pick up horse books - WOOHOO! So, who's read it, whatcha thinkin'?! What other fantabulous books would you recommend?

FitToBeTied
Dec. 13, 2011, 11:33 AM
Its an excellent book. I actually used it for training my field hunters and now use it for the horses I am eventing. Its just good all around advice for conditioning a horse.

Kairoshorses
Dec. 13, 2011, 12:45 PM
LOVE IT. Jimmy W = god.

He's got a great training video, and exercises, and I understand his PH columns are going to be/are a book. I have/plan to get everything the man has ever written/done. He's THAT good.

subk
Dec. 13, 2011, 01:30 PM
The first review on the sale page for this book is my favorite Amazon review of all time! http://www.amazon.com/Training-Three-day-Event-Horse-Rider/dp/1564161773/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323800915&sr=1-3

Blugal
Dec. 13, 2011, 01:46 PM
It is great - I wish I could find my copy! Have already spent several hours looking - it is packed safely away somewhere!

Another great book is Riding Logic by Museler (http://www.amazon.com/Riding-Logic-W-Museler/dp/0671764926). Lots of great descriptions and diagrams; plus, he explains the logic of what you are doing and trying to do with the horse.

jn4jenny
Dec. 13, 2011, 02:03 PM
The first review on the sale page for this book is my favorite Amazon review of all time! http://www.amazon.com/Training-Three-day-Event-Horse-Rider/dp/1564161773/ref=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1323800915&sr=1-3

That is awesome. :) For the record, I've heard many a dragged-to-the-Wofford-clinic horse husband say similar things. Wofford's rare gift is to be a great horseman, a great talker, and a kind and humble human being.

wildlifer
Dec. 13, 2011, 02:13 PM
Best horse book ever.

Dawnd
Dec. 13, 2011, 04:29 PM
It is a book that can be read every winter when you don't feel like riding in 17 layers of long underwear.

bambam
Dec. 13, 2011, 05:03 PM
:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
awesome (not just the review- the book too)

LookmaNohands
Dec. 13, 2011, 05:12 PM
Read Jimmy's book then do whatever you have to and. . .

RIDE WITH HIM!!

atheventer85
Dec. 13, 2011, 05:31 PM
This book, while written years ago, applies the same today. Jimmy's fabulous technique hasn't changed one bit, nor has his humor. Buy it, read it, use it.

jenm
Dec. 13, 2011, 05:34 PM
Love the book and hope to be able to ride with him one day!

RiverBendPol
Dec. 13, 2011, 06:01 PM
Maybe you'd be better off asking: Anyone here who hasn't read Jimmy's book?
The book is fantastic, as is Jim. As Lookma said, do what ever it takes-sell your soul if you have to- figure out a way to ride with him. ;-)

Heliodoro
Dec. 14, 2011, 08:29 AM
I think I read it in one day after I got it for Christmas one year, lots of great information, love the training logs he puts in for his different horses over the years!

sophie
Dec. 14, 2011, 08:42 AM
I have a signed copy (met Sir Wofford at a clinic and had him sign my book!). It's a great book.

As for that review...if it is real, the person who left it on the plane will be missing that book!!

ake987
Dec. 14, 2011, 11:07 AM
WOW! I am so excited to get this now!!! I would love to ride with JW someday (le sighhhh!) - this weekend I'll be riding with Doug Payne, who I know just put out The Rider's Eye with Jimmy, and I'm interested in checking that out, as well. I've met Doug several times, both as a competitor and while I was running SJ at a HT while he was TD, and he has been a lot of fun to be around - so I am going into the clinic already comfortable with him and excited to learn! Plus - he's trained with JW, so I tell myself not only do I get to ride with DP, I get to learn from JW vicariously through him! :lol:

Thank you so much for all the replies and other book suggestions - they are going to be checked out as soon as I finish my last final today! Woohoo!

Toadie's mom
Dec. 14, 2011, 11:14 AM
:D:D

Lisa Preston
Dec. 14, 2011, 11:24 AM
I used to own hundreds of eq books and gave them to a trainer friend...Wofford's is one of the few eventing books I kept. I rode in one of his clinics years ago and he told us all to buy Anne Kursinksi's Jumping Clinic book.

Karosel
Dec. 14, 2011, 04:08 PM
I used to own hundreds of eq books and gave them to a trainer friend...Wofford's is one of the few eventing books I kept. I rode in one of his clinics years ago and he told us all to buy Anne Kursinksi's Jumping Clinic book.

I have Anne Kursinksi's Jumpling Clinic (and Woffords book) and it's a great book, especially for someone who doesn't work with a trainer on a regular basis.

AlterEgoME
Dec. 14, 2011, 04:40 PM
Bible.

carolprudm
Dec. 14, 2011, 06:41 PM
Who HASN'T read it????

NSRider
Dec. 15, 2011, 12:39 AM
Sadly I haven't read this book, but will be reading it soon! If it's not under the tree, it'll be in my hands by new years :D

VERY excited to read this! Does anyone know if he does clinics in Canada?!

Rainier
Dec. 15, 2011, 01:11 AM
Love the book and hope to be able to ride with him one day!

THis is how I feel!

asterix
Dec. 15, 2011, 10:42 AM
scubed, thanks for the link to the amazon review. That is hilarious.