PDA

View Full Version : Clinics in December/January/February - Eastern PA, MD, DE area

Ajierene
Dec. 13, 2011, 10:51 AM
So, I have a bit of extra money and I am trying to decide what to do with it.

I could go to Aiken for a 'long weekend' and compete one show and do some schoolings.

I could go to Aiken for a 'long weekend' and do some schoolings and help the other Aiken-goers from my barn at one show.

I could do some clinics and go to the indoor more than once a week.

I am starting to lean towards the third option. The first pretty much wipes out my money, without catching up on bills. The second, I can catch up on bills and make the trip, but a lot of that money is spent on gas, food, housing, other non-riding endeavors.

The third option throws pretty much all my spare money at actual riding. There is no indoor where I ride right now (long story, don't ask, my trainer may eat you - she's NOT happy about the issue). So, we all pack everyone up and trainer meets other students and us (that ride at her barn) at a particular indoor every Friday night, where we jump (great jumps, colorful jumps, gates and boxes and jump fillers). It would be very beneficial to me to jump more than once a week right now, so an extra day would be nice.

Clinics are another great way for me to work on show nerves in a learning environment. I am going to the Phillip Dutton clinic this Sunday and am wondering if anyone knows if anyone else has anything planned for the next 6-10 weeks.

mythical84
Dec. 13, 2011, 11:11 AM
Here's a brief list of clinics that I'm involved with this January. E-mail me at margaret@mythiclanding.com if you're interested!

January 7th: Susan Graham White Dressage Clinic (Brookeville, MD)

January 8th: Stephen Bradley Jumping Clinic (Union Bridge, MD)

January 14th: Katie Wherley Clinic (Frederick, MD)

January 18th: Stephen Bradley Clinic (Brookeville, MD)

faybe
Dec. 13, 2011, 11:14 AM
mythical84, who posts on here, organizes a lot of clinics in the MD area. I think she posts them on her business facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Mythic-Landing-Enterprises-LLC/231445710243540?sk=wall

faybe
Dec. 13, 2011, 11:14 AM
Haha, oops- she beat me to it!

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 13, 2011, 11:25 AM
We will probably have Jimmy up at an indoor up in PA (near Phillip's place too). If I can get myself organized.

Ajierene
Dec. 13, 2011, 11:35 AM
We will probably have Jimmy up at an indoor up in PA (near Phillip's place too). If I can get myself organized.

That would be awesome! All the horses I ride will be in Aiken the last week of January/first week of February, though I can probably 'steal' a horse from someone, if need be!

Any insight on any of the trainers listed?

scubed
Dec. 13, 2011, 11:40 AM
and don't forget about the Colleen Rutledge Holiday clinic
http://colleenrutledgeeventing.com/

Stuff also gets posted here: http://www.usea2.net/calendar/index.php?y=2012&m=1

here: http://dvcta.org/index.php?option=com_moofaq&view=categories&id=13&Itemid=86

stuff at Full Moon Farm: http://www.fullmoonfarm.com/calendar.html

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 13, 2011, 11:42 AM
That would be awesome! All the horses I ride will be in Aiken the last week of January/first week of February, though I can probably 'steal' a horse from someone, if need be!

Of the ones listed, I've only ridden with Steven Bradley. Others may be very good, I just don't have any personal experience with them.

Steven is very good, very positive. I rode with him fairly often when I lived in VA (before he had ridden on the Team). He was good then but I suspect is probably better now.

If you can easily get to those facilities, I would go.

faybe
Dec. 13, 2011, 12:02 PM

Susan Graham White is awesome. Her focus is dressage but she does a lot of eventing judging and coaches a lot of eventers; if you want to improve your flatwork she has really good insights to offer.

mythical84
Dec. 13, 2011, 12:25 PM
Obviously I'm a bit biased because I organize the clinics, but they are all really great.

I've been riding with Susan Graham White off and on since I was a teenager, but have been in a regular program (monthly lessons) for the past two years. What I love about Susan is that she pushes me to accomplish the things I never thought possible. My first lesson with Lissell involved much head flinging and general ridiculousness. Fast forward to this months lesson, and my horse did her first true counter canter without drama. Susan has the right balance of perfectionism and knowing when to compromise.

I've only been riding with Stephen for a year or so, but what I love about him is how simple he makes things. The exercises he sets up could teach themselves, but then you add his instruction into the mix ... and it's magic. He's all about subtle changes, and I really appreciate that. And he's very sympathetic to each individual horse and rider. At the last clinic, all the early lessons did one thing, but the last Training-level group came in and all the riders said that the horses were just coming back into work from vacation, so we adjusted.

Katie Wherley is a client of mine, and while I haven't taken a lesson from her, I've watched her teach and coach many many times. She's all about the basics. Like Stephen (who she happens to lesson with), she sets up exercises that help teach the horse, and then she teaches you. I'm also continually amazed at the details that she's able to pick up on. Really cool stuff.

I often blog about the clinics with photos, videos, funny anecdotes: http://mythiclanding.blogspot.com/

brianhr
Dec. 13, 2011, 04:37 PM
Colleen Rutledge has plans in the works for quite a few Clinics over the next three months (Badminton Fundraisers) but she has the one coming up in two weeks that is filling up fast. You can check out her website for info on it.

yellowbritches
Dec. 13, 2011, 05:41 PM
I've ridden a fair bit with both Susan and Stephen and love them both. Susan REALLY gets event horses (she helped a lot with Vernon and helped me eek out some quiet tests on him). She's very positive and, unlike a lot of real DQs, she isn't all cerebral and flowery. She gets to the point, says what she wants succinctly, and is easy to follow. I have enjoyed every lesson I have had with her.

Stephen is fabo (I really don't need to add much). I hear him in my head ALL the time. I love riding with him.

CMCEventer
Dec. 13, 2011, 06:15 PM
I have Jim Wofford doing a gymnastics clinic at Baywood Farms in Harwood, MD (near Annapolis) on Wednesday February 29, 2012. I think I'm down to just 1 or 2 spots left, so if anyone is interested, email me to check on group levels and spots left. All the information, entry forms, releases, etc are linked towards the bottom of my calendar on my website - http://golightl.dot5hosting.com/page5.html Jimmy will teach 3 groups of 6 riders - auditing is $20 - pay at the door. Hope to see lots of you there!
Cherie

Ajierene
Dec. 13, 2011, 07:58 PM
Thanks for the info, everyone!

Susan Graham White sounds great for flatwork, I am in desperate need of jumping help, though! I will have to put her in my back pocket for another day.

Stephen Bradley sounds like a good deal, as does Wofford. Any other ideas?

BeverlyAStrauss
Dec. 14, 2011, 07:24 PM
Sally Cousins is coming back to Unicorn's indoor in Chesapeake City MD on Weds 12/28 for jumping (by popular demand!) PM me if interested!

tarheelmd07
Dec. 15, 2011, 01:16 AM
Sally Cousins is also teaching at An Otherwise Perfect Farm in Upperco, MD on tuesday dec 20th, Tuesday dec 27th, and Saturday jan 14th.

LadyGodiva
Dec. 15, 2011, 09:41 AM
Kim Walnes holds clinics in Denver, Pa once or twice per month. The facility is beautiful and has an indoor arena, too. Email met927@gmail.com for details and scheduling.

asterix
Dec. 15, 2011, 10:35 AM
We have a tentative date with Boyd Martin (who was just down yesterday) I think Dec 28th at Waredaca. He was terrific -- another one who pushes but does not overface (my horse was just back jumping after literally a year ...and came out puffed up and back in the game).

We are also looking at some Jimmy W dates in late Jan/early Feb but I don't have exact times yet.

judybigredpony
Jan. 7, 2012, 07:26 AM
Bump and any new ones...

mythical84
Jan. 7, 2012, 07:34 AM
I scheduled 1 more date with Susan Graham White on January 24th at A Bit Better Farm (Brookeville, MD). When I set up February dates, I'll try to remember to post here.

NeverTime
Jan. 7, 2012, 10:54 AM
Just announced:
Jimmy Wofford is doing a gymnastics clinic in Unionville, Pa., on Thursday, Jan. 26. Contact BFNE for more details and to register.

Ajierene
Jan. 7, 2012, 01:18 PM
Just announced:
Jimmy Wofford is doing a gymnastics clinic in Unionville, Pa., on Thursday, Jan. 26. Contact BFNE for more details and to register.

I won't have a horse that week, can I audit?

bornfreenowexpensive
Jan. 7, 2012, 02:06 PM
I won't have a horse that week, can I audit?

Auditors welcome....no charge. We start at 8am at Laurel Hill Farm (in the indoor). We will be done early afternoon (usually around 1 or 2) so Jimmy can beat the traffic home.

steves
Jan. 7, 2012, 03:43 PM
I really encourage anyone interested in clinics or schooling events to go to our area 2 website calendar. Not only are the clinics listed but if you click on them, you can get detailed information. I think all of the ones mentioned in this discussion are posted. There are over 15 in January alone.
http://www.usea2.net/calendar/index.php

judybigredpony
Jan. 7, 2012, 03:53 PM
We did the Colleen Rutledge and just signed up for Stephen Bradley...:)

barnworkbeatshousework
Feb. 16, 2012, 11:28 AM
heads up, I just received an email and registered for Colleen's next clinic:

"Colleen Rutledge (Colleen Rutledge Eventing) is planning a clinic on the weekend of March 17 and 18, 2012! If you are interested in attending, please contact Leanne ( leanned54@comcast.net). Slots will fill on a first come, first serve basis. Colleen also has a Badminton fundraiser dinner the evening of March 18th at Lohrs Restaurant in Frederick, MD. The last clinic time on March 18th may be over by 3:00 pm. See the FaceBook page "Colleen Rutledge Badminton England Fundraiser" for more information, or to RSVP. Any questions about the clinic, contact Leanne by either by email (leanned54@comcast.net) or cell phone, 301-943-9929."

I participated in one of her clinics for the first time, last month, and had a great time. I'm a re-rider, getting back into the swing of things after being out of the saddle for a long time (might as well restart at square one, adult amateur). That being said, I was impressed that Colleen treated me with as much respect and encouragement as the more experienced and seasoned riders. Eventing Nation posted my review of the clinic on their blog, here: http://eventingnation.com/home/2012/01/colleen-rutledge-clinic-january-14-15.html

retreadeventer
Feb. 16, 2012, 05:51 PM
Jimmy is coming to Unionville on Feb. 29 and Mar. 29.
Jimmy is also coming to Baywood on Mar. 6 but I think that one is full, check with Cherie.
There are bunch of local dates that Jimmy has put on his calendar that are in VA and I think one or two in Maryland.
Jennie Brannigan at TPR on Feb. 20 (Monday) -- probably full
I have not heard about anything in Feb. or March in the PA/MD/VA area that has not already been mentioned; it sure would be nice to get in a couple of indoor jump schools someplace on the weekends.....that's ok, we'll just foxhunt I guess (rather than midweek....sigh.....)

barnworkbeatshousework
Feb. 16, 2012, 06:34 PM
retreadeventer: thanks for sharing, I never tire of Jimmy's clinics! Hoping to also catch him at the PA Expo, weekend of Feb 25th, he'll present some sessions, as well as sit in on the Retired Racehorse Trainers Challenge presentation.