PDA

View Full Version : Question about derbies and long format

Robin@DHH
Dec. 12, 2011, 12:06 PM
For nearly 20 years our farm has hosted a small one-day horse trial. It is unrecognized, low-level (Intro, BN and Novice), meant to offer a way for riders or horses to get into eventing. Changes in my area suggest this offering is not needed any longer so I am trying to decide on a replacement activity. Our farm has a modest cross country course, plenty of stadium posts and rails and about 100 acres of rolling hills of pasture and hayfields.

I have only seen one derby and at that one the course started as stadium and immediately fed into cross country. What I was considering was having riders do stadium, take a few minutes break (like 15 minutes), then do the cross country. Would that still be called a derby?

I am also considering making use of our hayfield acreage
to do roads and tracks. I can probably get a route that will
cover a couple miles distant. This would be to give competitors a chance to try out roads and tracks work, something that isn't frequently available in my region. Do
you think that addition would be interesting? Would you
put just one set between stadium and cross country or
would you do two, one before each phase? I don't want to offer steeplechase unless I can find a coach to teach it as I think very few competitors in my area have experience in this. Keep in mind our top level is novice and most of our entrants are in the two levels below that.

Beam Me Up
Dec. 12, 2011, 12:32 PM
You could call it a "two phase derby" maybe?

Or you could charge separately for each phase and allow riders to mix and match number/level of go for both? (That is probably what I would want, to get the most out of the schooling opportunity).

Honestly, I don't really see the value of R&T or an endurance test for this type of show, but maybe others will feel differently.

sunhawk
Dec. 12, 2011, 01:19 PM
I rode in a derby that had stadium fences on the cross country course. The course was short enough to not need fence judges. We rode a dressage test and did your combined cross-country and stadium. Some of the stadium fences were put in very interesting places.
At training level I jumped 21 fences so it was intense, but it was a blast.
You could ride two consecutive levels, or ride the same level twice.
Would love to get to do that again.

NaturalSelection
Dec. 12, 2011, 03:06 PM
Robin,

I am an eventer just outside the Twin Cities - your venue sounds like a lot of fun for my young TB, why haven't I heard of your event before? Where do you advertise for entries?

Fancy That
Dec. 12, 2011, 03:31 PM
First of all, that is AWESOME that you hosted an unrecognized HT for 20 years. THANK YOU on behalf of all of use who LOVE to ride in those :)

It sounds like you aren't getting enough entries/interest to hold them? I would think that would be SUPER popular, so yes, maybe getting the word out or marketing it differently?

But - for your question - I've done Eventing Derbies at the farm that also hosts unrecognized HTs and they way they do it is:

- Dressage Test
- SJ & XC is combined
- Her set up is that the SJ arena is actually in the XC course (her XC course is a HUGE HUGE field) So you ride into the arena, do some SJ jumps in there and then jump out of the arena onto the XC course :)

Her course also had you go through some wooded areas, down a valley, over a dry creek bed, etc. So it can be fairly extensive :)

they are so fun! (both Eventing Derbies and schooling HTs)

ACMEeventing
Dec. 12, 2011, 03:41 PM
Ditto what Fancy said, unrecognized venues are the mainstay for a lot of us so thank you!

I am in area 2 and would flip for a jumper derby type show. The idea of mixing XC and stadium in the same round sounds like a blast. I imagine you would get more mileage out of that setup than a road / tracks considering the levels you're talking about.

Ravencrest_Camp
Dec. 12, 2011, 03:47 PM
But - for your question - I've done Eventing Derbies at the farm that also hosts unrecognized HTs and they way they do it is:

- Dressage Test
- SJ & XC is combined

Around here (in Ontario) that's called a Short Course Event. It was started by Ian Roberts so that facilities without a full XC course or enough volunteers to man XC could host some sort of Horse Trial. Most places that ran one would do the stadium/xc in one field so that a judge could view all of the jumps from one vantage point.

What we call a Derby is basically just the jumping portion of the above. (ie no dressage test).

There is a farm close to me that use to run a Derbies a few times a summer on a Wednesday evening after work. It was affordable, great fun and then everyone would have a BBQ and a few beverages afterwards.

event_ryder
Dec. 12, 2011, 04:03 PM
My favourite derby was a mix of XC and stadium. Fences 1-2 were XC, 3 was a stadium fence at the base of a hill, 4-5-6 were xc, 7 was stadium etc... it was brilliant. Really made you have to ride your stadium fences well and get your horse listening after galloping. You could choose to run your level 2x, or you could do one at one level and choose do do one the level up if all went well. It was exactly what I needed as I ran my horse at BN and because he went well I was able to give N a try (he went even better!) I think they did 85 competitors in 5 or 6 hours? I'm hoping they run it again this year so I can run go N, then hopefully give T a try.

Highflyer
Dec. 12, 2011, 05:14 PM
Something else that is popular around here are lower level non-competitive "Pipe Openers"-- you pre- enter, pay like $25 and are given an assigned time at which you, or you and a friend or trainer, or whatever, can run the xc course-- it's not like a schooling where you stop and start a lot, and you only get three refusals at each fence and I think can you can jump each fence twice. It's an awesome way to warm up for the season without the fuss and expense of a full HT, plus you can do multiple levels or trips, or mix and match the levels in a single trip. Might be worth a try-- I wish they had them at some of the recognized venues as well!

flutie1
Dec. 12, 2011, 05:52 PM
Hi Robin,
We run an eventing derby in Wayne, IL and the beauty of this format is you can do anything you want. We really made up our own rules. The prize list is available on www.mauijimhorsetrials.org. All our fences are in a large sand arena, but they are both cross country and show jumping in nature.
Have fun with it. You know your market so tailor it accordingly!

Couture TB
Dec. 12, 2011, 10:59 PM
Robin,

I am an eventer just outside the Twin Cities - your venue sounds like a lot of fun for my young TB, why haven't I heard of your event before? Where do you advertise for entries?

Second that! I am from WI and have never heard of an unrecognized even here! Why have I not heard of your competition?! Event or Derby I have a few horses I would like to bring next year!

Robin@DHH
Dec. 13, 2011, 11:48 AM
I would love to know how to promote our eventing opportunities better. We have always listed in the local GMO's publication, the Central States Dressage and Eventing Association (CSDEA) annual Omnibus. Our listing, like all unrecognized eventing listed there, is in the section called "Schooling Opportunities".

We are also listed on the CSDEA's website on their calendar at our traditional date which was the second Saturday in August. We'll have to change our date since Otter Creek which is nearby decided to schedule their recognized show on that date. I also usually at least mention our show a couple times before it happens on the area mailing list, a yahoogroup called TCCTList.

Our farm is in western Wisconsin, about an hour from downtown Minneapolis/St. Paul and most of our entrants have come from the greater Twin Cities (which includes western Wisconsin as the cities are very close to the Minnesota/Wisconsin border). Still, this appears not to be reaching Wisconsin dwellers so I would really appreciate advice on how to reach that community.

Janet
Dec. 13, 2011, 02:13 PM
What I was considering was having riders do stadium, take a few minutes break (like 15 minutes), then do the cross country. Would that still be called a derby?
That would be called a Combined Test (ANY two of the 3 phases).

Janet
Dec. 13, 2011, 02:15 PM
I am in area 2 and would flip for a jumper derby type show. The idea of mixing XC and stadium in the same round sounds like a blast. I imagine you would get more mileage out of that setup than a road / tracks considering the levels you're talking about.

Sharon White usually does one each year as a fundraiser. She calls it "Jump!"

Janet
Dec. 13, 2011, 02:18 PM
Around here (in Ontario) that's called a Short Course Event. It was started by Ian Roberts so that facilities without a full XC course or enough volunteers to man XC could host some sort of Horse Trial. Most places that ran one would do the stadium/xc in one field so that a judge could view all of the jumps from one vantage point.

What we call a Derby is basically just the jumping portion of the above. (ie no dressage test).
Same here. Loch Moy runs a "short course"- dressage, then a short cross country course that has a couple of show jumps at the beginning and end.

Janet
Dec. 13, 2011, 02:22 PM
I would love to know how to promote our eventing opportunities better....

Our farm is in western Wisconsin, about an hour from downtown Minneapolis/St. Paul and most of our entrants have come from the greater Twin Cities (which includes western Wisconsin as the cities are very close to the Minnesota/Wisconsin border). Still, this appears not to be reaching Wisconsin dwellers so I would really appreciate advice on how to reach that community.
WHat about the Area 4 web site?

flutie1
Dec. 13, 2011, 02:59 PM
WHat about the Area 4 web site?

Absolutely! Robin, send me a short promo and I'll get it on the website, both news and calendar.

Robin@DHH
Dec. 13, 2011, 03:07 PM
Would the area website want to list activities not affiliated
with USEA? Ours is not a recognized show and much smaller and more aimed at amateurs and beginners than something like Otter Creek.

flutie1
Dec. 13, 2011, 03:25 PM
We list all activities whether or not they are recognized. Lots of schooling shows, minis, derbies, etc. We want to be the "go to" website for area eventers.

albertaeventer
Dec. 13, 2011, 05:19 PM
My favourite derby was a mix of XC and stadium. Fences 1-2 were XC, 3 was a stadium fence at the base of a hill, 4-5-6 were xc, 7 was stadium etc... it was brilliant. Really made you have to ride your stadium fences well and get your horse listening after galloping. You could choose to run your level 2x, or you could do one at one level and choose do do one the level up if all went well. It was exactly what I needed as I ran my horse at BN and because he went well I was able to give N a try (he went even better!) I think they did 85 competitors in 5 or 6 hours? I'm hoping they run it again this year so I can run go N, then hopefully give T a try.

I was at this derby as well, and I LOVED the way they set it up as well. It was basically a slightly shortened cross country course with stadium jumps interspersed, and the option of a second round. The course designer did a fantastic job with the course, setting the stadium jumps very strategically to make it a very fun course!

There was another derby in our area, which had a stadium course of 8 jumps at the beginning and then you went right out to the 6 or 8 xc jumps. The problem with this format is that it was virtually impossible to set an accurate optimum time, since you have one part stadium speed, and then you go faster on xc, and they were timing it all together. Plus the xc seemed very short, and just when you felt like you were getting a good flow, it was over!

The first one seemed a lot easier to run in terms of organization, time, and manpower. And it seemed to be the preferred format of the 2 by the riders as well.