PDA

View Full Version : What do we think of this guy?

MightyBobbyMagee
Dec. 11, 2011, 05:24 PM
For a lower level event horse (I'm probably not brave enough to ever go over training).

http://www.horseadoption.com/scorpians-ruckus/

I think he's kind of fugly, but I there's something about him I really like. Opinions?

Here's his pedigree. (http://www.pedigreequery.com/scorpians+ruckus)

CdnRider
Dec. 11, 2011, 05:50 PM
I think there is something going on with his right hind. And Holy Whithers!! Saddle fit might be a nightmare. He seems super willing and quiet.

RSEventer
Dec. 11, 2011, 05:50 PM
I like his high hips and how he tracks up. Bet he could jump you around Novice with no problems at all. He needs some groceries, but he has the build for sure. Plus he needs a home. Go try him!

Equine Studies
Dec. 11, 2011, 06:07 PM
Agree that it looks like there is something not 100% right somewhere. But I'd vet him and see what they say before saying no. Love his canter. I say go try him................

gold2012
Dec. 11, 2011, 06:14 PM
His left hock looks bound up some, like the flexibility and movement is stiff,groceries are desperately needed.

I would be careful with his ankles. If you are willing to inject him as needed, because he will need injected...

He has a huge over stride, love his personality, seems interested in his surroundings.

PonyGal08
Dec. 11, 2011, 06:17 PM
When I first looked at the conformation shots, I thought he looked like he had been pieced together with parts that didn't quite fit together. Then I saw his video and was pleasantly surprised. While, I agree with the above, something looks a bit off, I suspect NV may know since his adoption fee is waived. You could ask them.

Nonetheless, something about him speaks to me and I like him. He's charming and looks willing. If sound, nothing says to me that he couldn't do LL eventing - he seems athletic enough.

I'd vet him with the thought that he'll have some jewelry and be armed with questions about what would make him work comfortably.

Jleegriffith
Dec. 11, 2011, 06:47 PM
I think he looks like a wise older horse and they are my favorite type. He's a bit funky in the right hind but a lot of these older guys tend to be this way until they get stronger and get some chiropractic work. I would probably want to x-rays the ankles because sometimes osselets aren't just osselets (my horse has big ankles but good x-rays). He looks like he would be brave to me.

rhymeswithfizz
Dec. 11, 2011, 06:52 PM
Ooh, I like him. Wish I was closer.

VicariousRider
Dec. 11, 2011, 07:07 PM
I would not describe him as "fugly"... a little tired looking at the moment, but what a kind eye, sloping shoulder and nice disposition he appears to have.

I second Jlee on getting the ankles x-rayed for the reasons that she stated. He does look a little off behind but he could just need some R&R and TLC. Poor guy looks like he took a beating in the pasture in those pictures, as well! A good pre-purchase on a horse like this is a must but, my heavens, if he came through that many starts by 7 with moderate success he should certainly hold up with LL eventing!

I have heard nothing but stellar reviews of New Vocations so I think that they will tell you what they know. I would certainly go look if I were you!

ACMEeventing
Dec. 11, 2011, 07:40 PM
I like him. A LOT. There is something about him that is a serious "wow" just waiting to come out. Very mature and cooperative. Get the PPE!

besum1
Dec. 11, 2011, 11:32 PM
I'm not really on the up and up of TB Pedigrees, but the fact that he has Seattle Slew as his Granddaddy would make me take a 2nd,3rd and 4th look at him!!! Every Slew baby I've met has got the best brain, and hopefully that got passed on to Ruckus (which in the video it looks like it did!) Soundness is probably going to be an issue, but if it's nothing serious then go for it! But be VERY careful about saddle fit with those withers!!!! You might be looking at a series of 3 or 4 saddles properly fitted by a REAL saddle fitter (not you average tack store owner) over time as he develops muscle and gets some groceries

You'd probably have to sink in a lot of money on this guy over time, but I think he's potentially worth it!!!! He really looks like he could be a success story in the making :)

Rainier
Dec. 12, 2011, 01:32 AM
Of course he should get the above physical issues checked out, but I really think that he could be a diamond in the rough! With more muscling and groceries, I think he'd be quite handsome and he will be a nice mover.

oldpony66
Dec. 12, 2011, 06:08 AM
I'm not really on the up and up of TB Pedigrees, but the fact that he has Seattle Slew as his Granddaddy would make me take a 2nd,3rd and 4th look at him!!! Every Slew baby I've met has got the best brain, and hopefully that got passed on to Ruckus (which in the video it looks like it did!)

Rats. I've only owned 2 OTTB's, both were Seattle Slew grandbabies and neither one had a good brain :no: I guess that gene didn't get passed on those times.

But actually, OP, go take a look!

netg
Dec. 12, 2011, 08:42 AM
I think he looks like a wise older horse and they are my favorite type. He's a bit funky in the right hind but a lot of these older guys tend to be this way until they get stronger and get some chiropractic work. I would probably want to x-rays the ankles because sometimes osselets aren't just osselets (my horse has big ankles but good x-rays). He looks like he would be brave to me.

Related to the right hind - do you have any kind of exercises other than the consistent work you do with them to help the right hind?

We just see repeated right hind weakness in my guy... he gets straight, I ask for more and have to do the same thing and he gets crooked and weak there again. I do normal dressage strengthening work, ground poles, etc., but nothing specifically to help the weakness so many of the OTTBs have.

BeverlyAStrauss
Dec. 12, 2011, 08:43 AM
He is very cool- kind, nice mover in spite of his recent off the track status- with chiro, massage, and lots of building up the right muscles, he will be lovelier! Ditto about the ankles- my old war horse has ugly ankles but he has never taken a bad step and I don't ever do him up after an event (my bad, I know...)

Jleegriffith
Dec. 12, 2011, 08:51 AM
I think there is nothing better than good old hacking out/trail riding to build up the hind end. I spend as much time out of the ring as possible especially when I'm just starting a new horse who has no muscle.

Proper flatwork on a very slow building schedule to condition the hind end with lots of trot work. It has to be very gradual so they don't get too sore while conditioning new muscle. Cavaletti's and small jumps are great to build strength.

I'm also not opposed to hock/stifle injections when needed but especially in the beginning of the work. These guys have worked hard and their bodies can be sore so often if you relieve the pain then they are willing to work the muscles hard enough to build them up. If it hurts then they will be reluctant to work properly.

I know people think that I'm crazy but I see so many of these horses coming off the track that are very funky behind. I consider it normal but if you aren't used to looking at it then it can be alarming. If you are really worried take stifle and hock x-rays but if clean then you should be in the clear.

maunder
Dec. 12, 2011, 09:04 AM
I like him too. My Thoroughbred was funky all around when he came off the track (he was generally body sore and foot sore) but he is sound and quite a nice mover now. That fellow moves well now so he could become quite spectacular. I agree - PPE too.

hunterponies
Dec. 12, 2011, 09:07 AM
He is the sweetest guy there. While we were looking at other horses in his pasture, he glued himself to the gal looking for a horse. The others were blasting around the field, but not him. He chose to stay right next the gal as she was moving the others. I wish I had videoed this. He looked like he was giving her some advice on each of the other horses. So stately and kind. If he were the size and type we were looking for, we would have taken him in a heartbeat. Go get him. And Sherry, the gal who works with the New Vocations horses, was positively honest and helpful. She said he was fun to ride and loves to jump. Yes, he does have some "race track jewelry", but it didn't seem to interfere or bother him.

Highflyer
Dec. 12, 2011, 09:37 AM
I have been burned by ankles like that, and would be very wary, even for a LL horse. Definitely xray.

JFCeventer
Dec. 12, 2011, 10:01 AM
Rats. I've only owned 2 OTTB's, both were Seattle Slew grandbabies and neither one had a good brain :no: I guess that gene didn't get passed on those times.

:lol: I was going to say, my barn owner has a Slew baby and he is such a "duh." I wish he had inherited the good brain... :winkgrin:

purplnurpl
Dec. 12, 2011, 10:17 AM

I hate Sealttle Slew.
All kids I have seen look like this guy.
All have had the hunters bump, same conformation, and all the same muddy brown color.
and all are crazy dumbshits.

I hate them.
The 3 that I've known have embeded a blanket statement in my brain and I run from the pedigree now.

My mare has a bunch of babies by several different TB stallions. The kids are all spectacular...except the one Seattle Slew son. He's a crazy idiot with the same ol SS conformation.
All of the other kids she has had have inherited her great baroque look and are a happy mix of stallion and mare.
The SS kid looks like the same ol same old SS type. With the dumb brain included.

CatchMeIfUCan
Dec. 12, 2011, 10:46 AM
Pedigree (http://www.pedigreequery.com/dr+doug), Photo (https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1002374697005&set=a.1002218573102.2000650.1153950040&type=3&permPage=1)

I owned this guy for 7 years. His only personality fault is that he is not totally confident in his own ability. Sweet horse, barn favorite, tended to get into a bit of trouble because he was curious and inquisitive, totally willing to please. Gets low 30s or high 20s in dressage. Can't judge them by just their pedigree.

This guy seems sweet. Go check him out!

MightyBobbyMagee
Dec. 12, 2011, 11:12 AM
I emailed Sherry to see if she could give me some more information on his legs. Cosmetic issues don't bother me. He won't be a resale horse and I've only had one OTTB with clean legs but they've all been sound. I can't help myself--I really, really like this guy. I'm going to sit down with my SO tonight and have a talk, but he's at the top of the list. Thanks for all the input!

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 12, 2011, 11:39 AM
I hate Sealttle Slew.
All have had the hunters bump, same conformation, and all the same muddy brown color.

I hate them.
The 3 that I've known have embeded a blanket statement in my brain and I run from the pedigree now.

My mare has a bunch of babies by several different TB stallions. The kids are all spectacular...except the one Seattle Slew son. He's a crazy idiot with the same ol SS conformation.
All of the other kids she has had have inherited her great baroque look and are a happy mix of stallion and mare.
The SS kid looks like the same ol same old SS type. With the dumb brain included.

wow...biased much??

I had a SS grandson one of the prettiest horses I've ever had---and I've had some damn pretty horses. Won the hack classes against top company. Was so quiet that I hacked him out alone as a 2 year old right after starting him undersaddle. He had near perfect conformation (won on the line)...beautiful head and did NOT have a hunter bump on his hind end.

Packed my beginner mother out on trail rides and taught an 11 year old about eventing (He evented up to novice). He was a totally good egg. Not going to be an UL eventer but nice 3-3'6" hunter type. Also the type you could go to a paper chase or event on one day..and show in the hunter ring the next.

This mare is my current project.

http://www.pedigreequery.com/rockstina

Also a SS decendent. Absolutely wonderful mind...smart. She went to her first combined test after 30 days work and only having jumped 3/4 times. She was was a rock star.
Video from her first show. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4zQeZhrGL4

I threw a leg over her after she sat in a field for 2 years after racing...WTC was dead easy. Showing herself to have wonderful jumping instincts. Enough so that I'm hopeful she is my next 2* horse...and she is currently now not for sale. She's jumping much bigger fences now...is bold and gives you a great feel over the fence.

I've also known many others. Typically good shoulders and nice movers. Most others that I've known had good minds. SS is often further back in pedigrees now a days...so there can be a lot of other things that influence a horse. And I happen to LIKE seal brown color in a TB.

Op--He looks like a nice guy.

scubed
Dec. 12, 2011, 12:10 PM
I had a Seattle Slew great grandson. Best jumper I've ever sat on. Now packing someone around at the BN. I really like the Ruckus' pedigree, all that Bold Ruler, Boldnesian, Nasrullah inbreeding. Danzig (my personal favorite). And other than carefully checking the legs (which I do on all race horses, especially given 42 starts), I like his shoulder, hip and general way he is put together (although that neck needs some serious work). I don't find his face super attractive, but I wouldn't go so far as to say FUGLY

Beam Me Up
Dec. 12, 2011, 12:40 PM
I think with any popular bloodline people will have varying experiences.

I have 1 with SS in the 3rd generation, and another with him 2x in the 3rd, and they have completely different minds, probably due to their other ancestors, environments, etc. Both are tall and bay, though.

That said, I'm dying to know what SS heads (or Bold Ruler or other bloodlines heads) look like. Had never heard that. I did have someone tell me one of mine looked like a Storm Cat type but I think they meant body and not head.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 12, 2011, 12:57 PM
To me...this is a more typical SS head (2 year old...winter fuzzies). He turned into a real stunner.

The OPs horse has one of the more typical Bold Ruler heads. You can get that with a SS offspring especially if there is more BR in the pedigree. Sometimes they are prettier. The OP's horse will not look so bad when he is filled out more.

Mr. Prospector is another one who throws a pretty distinctive head and hind end....really nice hind end. My mare in the video above has a very typical Mr. P head.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 12, 2011, 01:00 PM
This guy is very typical of Sonny Halo. Often very pretty horses with a lot of chorme. I think the nice heads are coming from Princequillo...as a lot of those also seem to have pretty heads. But you don't ride the head ;)

http://www.pedigreequery.com/loveton

He did NOT get the Mr. P head;) Which is not ugly...just different.

Mtn trails
Dec. 12, 2011, 01:01 PM
Is it just me or is he back at the knee on the left front? Other than that, the more I looked at him, the more I liked him.

P.S. All the Slew offspring that I've met have been gorgeous with good brains.

leahandpie
Dec. 12, 2011, 01:15 PM
I like him, too. He is big, rangy, and seems just like a good honest boy. I would love to ride his canter!

You could pick him apart... or you can trust that 'feeling', which isn't usually wrong :)

About the Slew grandbabies... well, I own one, too... and he has the best brain of my OTTB bunch!

leahandpie
Dec. 12, 2011, 01:17 PM
To me...this is a more typical SS head (2 year old...winter fuzzies). He turned into a real stunner.

The OPs horse has one of the more typical Bold Ruler heads. You can get that with a SS offspring especially if there is more BR in the pedigree. Sometimes they are prettier. The OP's horse will not look so bad when he is filled out more.

Mr. Prospector is another one who throws a pretty distinctive head and hind end....really nice hind end. My mare in the video above has a very typical Mr. P head.

What a HANDSOME horse! I love the plain bays.

Beam Me Up
Dec. 12, 2011, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the head photos! So interesting . . .

I think mine with SS 2x has more of the BR head (like OP's horse) than the SS head.
The one that has SS only 1x is closer to the SS head posted.

Looking for headshots now . . .

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 12, 2011, 01:29 PM
Here's a head shot picture of SS in his prime.

http://www.eleganthorsepictures.com/seattle-slew-portrait.html

scubed
Dec. 12, 2011, 01:44 PM
And here is my SS greatgrand (who does have a pony head, it is true, but does have a bit of the SS look too)

Beam Me Up
Dec. 12, 2011, 01:48 PM
OK, I think I see the difference--BR is longer with a less deep/defined cheek?
I think mine is more like that.

I agree not unattractive at all--I like all 3 of the ponies you posted.

But IMO most TBs have pretty heads. And of course I think all of mine do, but they've grown on me.

VicariousRider
Dec. 12, 2011, 04:26 PM
He is the sweetest guy there. While we were looking at other horses in his pasture, he glued himself to the gal looking for a horse. The others were blasting around the field, but not him. He chose to stay right next the gal as she was moving the others. I wish I had videoed this. He looked like he was giving her some advice on each of the other horses. So stately and kind. If he were the size and type we were looking for, we would have taken him in a heartbeat. Go get him. And Sherry, the gal who works with the New Vocations horses, was positively honest and helpful. She said he was fun to ride and loves to jump. Yes, he does have some "race track jewelry", but it didn't seem to interfere or bother him.

What a lovely testament to this horse's disposition! If he's sound he sounds pretty fantastic as a LL eventer!!!

And all this talk of 3rd and 4th generation offspring having the same types of terrible minds.... I have a lot of trouble buying it. Sure, there can be trends, but this talk always reminds me of silly stereotypes (like the "chestnut mare" thing) which are usually misinformed, long-perpetuated stereotypes to which I give about .02 seconds thought. Even a 3rd generation get has SEVEN other gene pools in the mix. Food for thought...

MBM: Keep us posted and let us know what else you find out about him! He would be SOOOOOOO perfect for my SO. Not that we really need another horse, but............. :cool:

wishnwell
Dec. 12, 2011, 06:11 PM
I like him! Maybe cause he reminds me of our recent OTTB. Our guy has a great mind and wonderful easy going personality with Slew in him too! But I know nothing about pedigrees. Keep us posted!

Heinz 57
Dec. 12, 2011, 06:41 PM
Yes, he's a bit plain.

My best horses have all been plain.

Justa Bob
Dec. 12, 2011, 07:32 PM
I emailed Sherry to see if she could give me some more information on his legs. Cosmetic issues don't bother me. He won't be a resale horse and I've only had one OTTB with clean legs but they've all been sound. I can't help myself--I really, really like this guy. I'm going to sit down with my SO tonight and have a talk, but he's at the top of the list. Thanks for all the input!

Love the old warriors. There is something about him. Fingers crossed that he is the "one." Warts and all (after passing PPE).

Beam Me Up
Dec. 12, 2011, 07:44 PM
Here are my SS horse heads . . .

http://www.pedigreequery.com/pattons+pegasus
http://inlinethumb53.webshots.com/34356/2265153710054243099S600x600Q85.jpg

http://www.pedigreequery.com/oakridge+star
http://inlinethumb42.webshots.com/49257/2028236920054243099S600x600Q85.jpg

I think the first is the BR-type head, and the 2nd I'm not sure.
Body pics etc here http://tbjumpers.i8.com/photo3.html

That said, I think I have one more with a "SS-like head" and no SS . . .

http://www.pedigreequery.com/st+rett
http://inlinethumb29.webshots.com/47068/2976980450054243099S600x600Q85.jpg

I am really enjoying seeing all the horsey relatives on this thread

judybigredpony
Dec. 12, 2011, 07:55 PM
JUst an FYI...with a waived fee from NV I would suspect he won't pass a PPE did you not read the AD where they casually mention LOW level riding???

BFNE...love looking at my ..now your boy Loveton and if they saw the whole package...hubba hubba heart throb :) xoxox..reminds me of my new filly....yes agre the Princequillo factors in majorly

AlterEgoME
Dec. 12, 2011, 08:05 PM
I hate Sealttle Slew.

I hate them.

I'll give you some moral support on this one. They do tend to win the hunter hack, and if they stay sound they tend to work in the B circuit in that discipline. Haven't seen one I would event. That is just my experience.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 12, 2011, 08:23 PM
I'll give you some moral support on this one. They do tend to win the hunter hack, and if they stay sound they tend to work in the B circuit in that discipline. Haven't seen one I would event. That is just my experience.

There are several SS offspring eventing at the ULs. There is more in a pedigree than just one line. I'll try and dig it up again but I remember there being more than one at Rolex. Again...it is the whole horse you have to look at. SS can bring some good things to the table...and not so good. I don't personally go looking for a SS but I will not walk away from a nice horse just because he is their pedigree.

JCS
Dec. 12, 2011, 10:53 PM
:lol: I was going to say, my barn owner has a Slew baby and he is such a "duh." I wish he had inherited the good brain... :winkgrin:

I have a Seattle Slew just like this. We often joke about him not being the sharpest tool in the drawer. He gets scared of his feed bucket sometimes, the poor thing. :lol:

sisu27
Dec. 13, 2011, 10:10 AM
I love Slews. Have yet to meet one that I haven't liked.

These two: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2649413710103114374kDHkxc
are both amazing! The thicker, shorter one is an old war horse and is very intelligent, kind, brave and handsome as hell! He is a nice mover, constantly mistaken for a warmblood and just a very cool horse. The taller guy is just fresh off the track, 3 yo and was w/t/c and popping over little crossrails a week after his last race. You can't faze him and I think he is going to be something special.

Both blood bays and no hunter bumps to be found! The older guy is 2nd gen and the young fella is 3rd gen SS.

I think SSs can be sensitive, intelligent sorts that can require a bit of tact and trust but once you have that they seem to give you everything they have.

I am skeptical when anyone says I hate _________ when it comes to thbd pedigrees.....SS, Mr P, ND...whatever...they were fairly prolific and no matter how much they may stamp their offspring to say they are all the same is just silly.

I'm clearly a little biased on this one but I say go and check him out!

MightyBobbyMagee
Dec. 13, 2011, 10:24 AM
Well, I spoke with Sherry and she said that while he love to jump, she didn't think he would hold up to eventing. Dang. So I'm back on the prowl.

Beam Me Up
Dec. 13, 2011, 10:39 AM
I love Slews. Have yet to meet one that I haven't liked.

These two: http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2649413710103114374kDHkxc
are both amazing!

Gorgeous faces!

Heinz 57
Dec. 13, 2011, 10:53 AM
Not sure what your spec's are, but what about Native Tongue on NV?

VicariousRider
Dec. 13, 2011, 10:56 AM
Well, I spoke with Sherry and she said that while he love to jump, she didn't think he would hold up to eventing. Dang. So I'm back on the prowl.

Oh bummer.... well, I hope he finds a suitable home. He sounds like a doll.

Good luck, OP! Let us know how your search goes! I could just as easily have chosen the User Name VicariousBuyer! :lol:

JCS
Dec. 13, 2011, 11:27 AM
I have a Seattle Slew just like this. We often joke about him not being the sharpest tool in the drawer. He gets scared of his feed bucket sometimes, the poor thing. :lol:

Here's a pic of mine:

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2043476520094337499oMQnvY