PDA

View Full Version : Pony Club Rating Question....

easykeeper
Dec. 10, 2011, 08:03 AM
I am asking this in the eventing forum, because there seems to be a lot of PC grad's in here....

How many of you either "don't remember taking and or passing" your upper level (B or above) rating??

Scenario: I was a client of a horse professional (daughter's took lessons there) and picked the facility based on the fact that they claimed to use pony club standards to teach students. This was important to me because I myself am a graduate A, and wanted my daughters to eventually join pony club when I felt they were mature enough (and had enough basics) to do so.

Professional told me several times that they were a graduate B. Some other things happened that made me think they were not always on the up and up, so I question them again on their pony club status and they then claimed "I think I took my B, and I think I passed, but I am not really sure because there was a lot going on in my life at the time, but I know I aged out"

WTH?? :confused: Are they for real? Does anyone else suffer from upper rating amnesia?

EventMore
Dec. 10, 2011, 08:35 AM
No.
Those ratings were a lot of work and were major accomplishments.

CallMeGrace
Dec. 10, 2011, 10:05 AM
I even remember when the kids at our barn pass! It is so much work and takes an enormous amount of time and effort.

BeverlyAStrauss
Dec. 10, 2011, 10:14 AM
Passing my B and A ratings were huge milestones for me, right up there with college graduation------and above my grad school graduation..........that I don't remember as well for some reason....

merrygoround
Dec. 10, 2011, 10:18 AM
As I recall the USPC office in KY keeps a record of graduate A's and B's. They used to be published in the Annual Directory. They may still be.

Added:If you know the PC they were in( and I can't believe they wouldn't remember that), you can check on the USPC web site. They are all there ;)

Jeannette, formerly ponygyrl
Dec. 10, 2011, 10:57 AM
I remember my HA, but I actually don't remember my B testing. I remember I passed, though. :) Or I assume I passed, since they let me take the HA. National Office remembers too.

Sometimes these things blur - I remember another out-of-club rating which in my memory I call my C3, but maybe that was my B? It was a while ago... At any rate, I wouldn't automatically be sure someone was lying in your situation, but I wouldn't be sure they were telling the truth, either.

I do know when I came back to serious riding after a young adult sabbatical, I wasn't nearly as good as I remembered thinking I was as a teen. ;)

Big Spender
Dec. 10, 2011, 11:01 AM
I passed by B a week after turning 14 and my A at 16 (and that was 30 years ago)...so yes...a big deal and would never forget! There is a new Annual Directory in 2011 that I have referenced several times to check status on graduates. Our current DC claimed one of our instructors was a graduate A, when in fact she was a graduate B. Big difference! If they can't remember...then they didn't do it!

easykeeper
Dec. 10, 2011, 11:11 AM
Thanks everyone....I am in total agreement. I worked my rump off for my ratings and I just was stunned when they said they "couldn't remember" (and it would have been only 11 years ago....)

Thanks Merrygoround....I did check the USPC website and they are not on there....the pony club they were in dis-banded (mine did too) but, it looks like they had no upper-level rated riders because it was not even listed on the site....we had several graduate B's, H-A's and A's and my old club was listed still.

Just guess I am still feeling the stang of dishonesty from dealing with them...
Oh well, we must all "keep moving forward"

Auburn
Dec. 10, 2011, 11:12 AM
I remember my B rating(s) very well.

The first time, I passed the riding, but failed the oral/written.

I was so embarrassed. I went home and spent a whole lot of time studying. The next time that I took it, I passed. I even remember the names of my examiners: Mrs. Greer and Eileen de Jardnes (sp?). Mrs. Greer was very tough. Eileen was too, but in a nicer way.

Passing my B for them made it relatively easy for me to pass my BHSAI, a few years later.

If someone does not remember going through a whole day of intense testing, then I suspect your concerns are warrented. :yes:

Dewey
Dec. 10, 2011, 11:23 AM
Wow, I can't speak for anyone else, but my B testing was a huge ordeal. I traveled to a distant place in the region with five fellow PCers. The riding portion took ALL DAY. We rode our own horses, rode every single other of our teammates' horses, and when we were done, the judges brought out local horses for us to ride. At some point during the testing, I took a crashing fall, probably at least partly because of fatigue. We rode so long that the judges did not have enough time to test our book knowledge, so they walked around while we were wrapping our horses to go home and asked us two or three sample questions each. At the end they told us that we were a terrific group of riders, and we all passed. This was a major, major accomplishment.

This happened in the 70s, and I will never forget it. I know that not every testing is as grueling as mine was, but it's hard to imagine not remembering passing.

E D
Dec. 10, 2011, 11:25 AM
Oh, I can top this. Local instructor claims to have been in the Olympics, but can't remember which one or what disicipline. Must have been a serious head injury!

Dewey
Dec. 10, 2011, 11:38 AM
As I recall the USPC office in KY keeps a record of graduate A's and B's. They used to be published in the Annual Directory. They may still be.

Added:If you know the PC they were in( and I can't believe they wouldn't remember that), you can check on the USPC web site. They are all there ;)

Wow, thanks for mentioning this. I went and looked--and there I am, in the graduate H-A list! It was fun to see my name there along with the names of some members I knew.

I wish I'd had another year to pass the A, but I aged out, and college was getting in the way! :lol:

Auburn
Dec. 10, 2011, 11:51 AM
I appreciate you letting us know about the pony club listings, too.

There is a North River Pony Club, but it is not the one of which I was a member. :no: Our's disbanded in the early '70's.

In fact, none of the B's from our club are listed.

I just sent a contact email to ask what happened to our group of B's? Since we went to two rallies, with complete teams (we were competing against Wash Bishop on the Cahaba team. The team on which he rode came in first.), we should all be there.

easykeeper
Dec. 10, 2011, 12:12 PM
Auburn.....it could just be that they have the "paper" records at National for your club, but since your club disbanded in the early 70's (long before the computer age!) it might be an honest mistake that they did not include them on the list.

My old club disbanded in 2000, and theirs in 2005....they were supposed to have taken the B in 2000 and age out that year too, so I would assume that the club and them would be listed, but I could be wrong....but sadly, my gut feeling tells me I am not.

Oh well....I was just mainly asking because I was SO shocked that they could not remember such an momentous event!

easykeeper
Dec. 10, 2011, 12:17 PM
E D ....that is just...unreal!

Agree on the head injury!!

besum1
Dec. 10, 2011, 12:25 PM
E D ....that is just...unreal!

Agree on the head injury!!

And that is why Pony Club teaches you to always wear a helmet ;) hahahaha- less chance for a brain injury and convenient "forgetfulness"

easykeeper- I think your "friend" must of forgotten her helmet too and suffers from convenient "amnesia" :lol:

and for what it's worth I do remember my B and HA from 2002/3 and my C-3 from 2000 so how can she not remember her B from 2000??? It wasn't that long ago...

Hilary
Dec. 10, 2011, 12:26 PM
I have the paper directory -if you PM me with the name I'll look it up.

They list A, HA & B graduates with the club and year.

HT Mom
Dec. 12, 2011, 04:35 PM
You can contact USPC office in KY to verify if the person passed or not. However, it is not something someone would forget easily.

lizathenag
Dec. 12, 2011, 07:19 PM
I remember my C test--Mr Wesson helped me do a turn on the forehand

I remember my B test--I hacked to it (5 miles)

I remember my A test --still had a written test then.

If her B test was more than 50 years ago, I would give her a pass. otherwise not so much.

flashwhitelock
Dec. 12, 2011, 07:54 PM
I've never forgotten any of my testings and we're talking back to the 70's and 80's. I can tell you practically every horse that I switched onto or used for the ratings. I don't know anyone that forgets the national ratings.

ACMEeventing
Dec. 12, 2011, 08:03 PM
Oh, I can top this. Local instructor claims to have been in the Olympics, but can't remember which one or what disicipline. Must have been a serious head injury!

I remember back when I was an astronaut . . . or was it an underwater mind sweeper? Whatever. Bottom line is I'm a REALLY big deal.

Mind if I "rearrange these shrubs"? :lol:

(see PD thread if the above reference draws a blank stare ;) )

shawneeAcres
Dec. 12, 2011, 08:08 PM
Ok I am old! 54 to be exact, but I do remember my B and HA ratings. The B rating was memorable as we got to ride and jump on a polo field in Camden and I thought that was SO awesome! My HA was SO intensive that there is no way I can forget it! But it was quite fun even if it was hard!

oldpony66
Dec. 12, 2011, 08:52 PM

Wow, I'm assuming by "been to" they mean as a specator? Even if I'd had gone as a spectator, I would at least remember the discipline, although perhaps not the year. But they're held in different cities, you'd surely remember that! What a load of manure :no:

merrygoround
Dec. 12, 2011, 08:54 PM
I remember back when I was an astronaut . . . or was it an underwater mind sweeper? Whatever. Bottom line is I'm a REALLY big deal. -ACM eventing
---------------------------------------------------------------------------
:lol: :lol: I think your mind has already been swept!! Now mine is fine even when mine-sweeping.

Couldn't resist! :p

SLR
Dec. 12, 2011, 09:03 PM
E D if its Colonel John Russell, he may not remember.

SLR
Dec. 12, 2011, 09:05 PM
I mean no disrespect, but he served in WWII. :yes:

Janet
Dec. 12, 2011, 09:50 PM
Just out of curiosity, I went and checked on the web site.

I found myself in the list of graduate Bs (Golden's Bridge Hounds). But I don't understand the year it gives. I took my B in '71, and left PC in '72, but the directory says '75. That is the year I turned 21, but I had left PC well before that.

But I am more concerned that there is no listing for Patty Peckham, who took her B (and passed with the "highest score yet") in '70.

shea'smom
Dec. 12, 2011, 10:36 PM
Carrie, did we do the same B? Jim Graham was one of the examiners and a lady named Penny who was terrifying.

shawneeAcres
Dec. 12, 2011, 10:46 PM
Carrie, did we do the same B? Jim Graham was one of the examiners and a lady named Penny who was terrifying.

Think so, that sounds about right! guess you are an old fart like me! I did my HA in 75 at a barn near Asheville

shea'smom
Dec. 13, 2011, 12:08 AM
I did my B is 80 and A in 81. So not the same. But you still might have had the scarey lady.
NowI am one of the scarey ladies.......

shawneeAcres
Dec. 13, 2011, 11:04 AM
I did my B is 80 and A in 81. So not the same. But you still might have had the scarey lady.
NowI am one of the scarey ladies.......

Yeah I was long gone from PC by then!! Probably the same ppl though! Not involved with PC anymore as their really isnt much of that around here, instead my students do 4-H.

joiedevie99
Dec. 13, 2011, 11:45 AM
Just out of curiosity, I went and checked on the web site.

I found myself in the list of graduate Bs (Golden's Bridge Hounds). But I don't understand the year it gives. I took my B in '71, and left PC in '72, but the directory says '75. That is the year I turned 21, but I had left PC well before that.

But I am more concerned that there is no listing for Patty Peckham, who took her B (and passed with the "highest score yet") in '70.

I too am listed as the year I turned 21, not the year of my rating. I think that's how they do it.

easykeeper
Dec. 13, 2011, 01:11 PM
took my B in 85' and Jim and Penny were my examiners too! Took it at CTETA in Woodside, CA..and definitely, a weekend not to forget!

I do think Pony club lists the year you age out on the roster....