PDA

View Full Version : How many extras...

runNjump86
Dec. 8, 2011, 12:45 AM
So I'm beginning to believe that horse people in general are hoarders. Blankets, bits, boots, wraps, saddle pads, whatever we can stuff in a trunk.

I have been cleaning out all my horse stuff (YIKES), and I have quite the collection. I think I have around 10 different bits? Ridiculous. I have one horse. The most I had was two. Anyway...how many spare bridles do you keep on hand? I got a great deal on a Kincade, but I'm having a bit of buyer's remorse (especially after looking at all my stuffs). However, I only have one bridle to show in, and I'm thinking having an extra would be rather handy.

Now I have extra bridles...but they're all western! :lol: So if I get to a HT and don't have a bridle...I can't exactly do a dressage test very well in a one-ear split rein bridle with a junior cow horse bit....AND I need a bridle to put one of my ten extra bits on!!!

Just curious to see how much "stuffs" everyone else has on hand. I know I'm not alone!

RiverBendPol
Dec. 8, 2011, 06:45 AM
O LORDY, that is not a fair question. For example, my daughter competes in my Stubben saddle which my mother bought second hand for me in 1969. I have 6 good, unused saddles. I have a box of extra bits that weighs about 23 pounds. They are ALL snaffles. I have 1 horse in my barn right now and I have three 12' long blanket rails, each one is covered with neatly folded blankets, sheets, coolers, rain sheets, 1/4 rugs. I have 2 bridles in use and 2 big tupperware tubs full of extra leathers...cheek pieces, various nosebands, reins too good to chuck, not good enough to use regularly, stirrup leathers. A whole 14'x14' stall full of these extra things.
NOT to mention the 2 trunks in the tack room full of stuff my aunt left me when she died and left us this farm-about 12 foal halters, driving whips, her old brown size 6 tall boots...Smallest feet in my family at 10's unless you count the grand baby...O why did you make me think about this stuff?

2DogsFarm
Dec. 8, 2011, 07:00 AM
I am down to 2 horse-size and one pony blanket. Horsy needs a spare, right?
Extras got donated last year.

3 bridles, but two of those are on display in the LR as memorials to Vern & DH's Buddy.
OK - 4 if you count the cobbled-together driving bridle for the pony.

Um...3 saddles for 1 horse but only 1 fits him. 2 of them bought used and the oldest - my A/P - was bought from Dover on sale over 20 years ago for $600.

Of course I refuse to look in the tack trunk now living in my finished basement. I know it contains lots of bits & pieces "too good" to toss, but if I don't see them they don't count, right? :uhoh:

Oh great, you made me remember the footlockers in the barn & the basket of "stuff"
{2DF slinks away....}

deltawave
Dec. 8, 2011, 07:01 AM
I have a 12 x 16 foot tack room. So that's the approximate volume of "stuff" I have. :(

Oh, and I have a trunk and a large tack locker at my trainer's barn, my trailer dressing room is loaded with stuff, and I have a corner of the basement, too. :uhoh:

belleellis
Dec. 8, 2011, 07:18 AM
Forget the "stuff" - my favorite I have 5 horses but live in the barn apartment that is 200 sq feet/cinder block/cold/old/dirty/in an so so area, that I rent and am in my 30s. That one gets me every single time. (and yes true story - also the barn/pastures/arena are all lacking) Now I do not have a big house nor am I a house snob, I swear. I can see if you purchased it and are saving up to build a small house/put a trailer on the property. It would even be cool in your 20s but come on you are mid 30s why are you living that way with your 5 horses.....? But different strokes for different folks. :)
More on point I have one pony and since I only have the one (and not hoarding horses) I can buy it whatever I want. That is my justification. LOL. 2 blankets, 10ish bits, 3ish bridles, 2 saddles. LOL!!! (Maybe I should check myself before writing that first paragraph!)

ponygirlnmh
Dec. 8, 2011, 07:53 AM
My aunt was a hoarder-she was neat and organized, but had too much stuff. I still have 6 footlockers full of clothes and fabric, tubs and tubs of "gifts" (pillows, tote bags, kitchen utensils, garden stuff) and 6 HUGE U-Haul wardrobe boxes full of baskets-yes, just baskets.

But to the point, the only part of her that I have inherited is in my tack collection. Lets just say, where I live now I am blessed with 2 tack rooms (one for storage, one for cleaning, but hey, I did not design the barn) and a cedar closet for blankets(again, not my barn, but it sure is nice) and a closet. Yep, I have stuff crammed everywhere. I could list it all- I'll leave it a 20+ bits, full tack for western, dressage, x-country, H/J, driving...I'm ready for any eventuality. Blankets in every size but the horse I have now needs...sigh.

My friends call me the tack whore. I call it ready for any eventuality. After all, I am the one they call when they need anything horse related. :)

yellowbritches
Dec. 8, 2011, 07:54 AM
Well, I've never had TONS of stuff. And, because of the recent upheavals in my life, I have had to sort through and pack up what I do have. I am still fairly low on extras. I do have some brushing boots I can't use on Toby (neoprene) and some spare bridle parts, reins, etc. But I don't have a ton of extra stuff.

With two exceptions. I have two set of blankets that will most likely stay packed in my blanket box, along with extra anti-sweats, dress sheets, woolies, you name it. I have a lot of clothes for one little horse! I have a thing for blankets.

And, 10 bits? That's it??? :lol: I "inherited" THE bit collection when life fell apart. The bit collection that my coach/former boss had been collecting for 25+ years. It is a masterpiece. Just about every kind of bit you can think of. Of course, most are too big for Toby (he's a 4 3/4"), but I will ALWAYS have options. Someone, upon seeing the collection hanging up on the tack room wall said I should sell it. Why would I do that?!? I would just end up having to buy something I already have later down the road! I wish I could post a picture of the collection...it is remarkable.

sunnycher
Dec. 8, 2011, 08:34 AM
My friend and I were out riding in the desert the other day, and she forgot something, to which I replied - Oh, I'm sure I have one in my 'tack store', oops, I mean tack room!

I just don't know what to do with the extra strap goods, they aren't broken, but used, cannot just throw them away. Same with boots, wraps, bits (never throw away a bit), old blankets and coolers???? Must be a common problem...

JP60
Dec. 8, 2011, 09:09 AM
...rain sheets
Any of those rain sheets 70", 76", and 84". Maybe I can help your space problem :D

I've only been at this 5+ years and already I have extra blankets, bits and assorted leathers. Is this what I have to look forward too? :eek:

I know it is the American way to always make money, the art of the deal and all, but perhaps three are times when just letting go and giving stuff a way can help the soul and space issues.

Serious about the rainsheets. Here in SC we bounce all over the place in the winter from 60s to 30s (in one day) and rain in between. Some days, if I had sheets I'd feel better letting my older guys stay out instead of stalled (9 hour work day means if sunny by 12/1, they are stuck till I get home).

Auburn
Dec. 8, 2011, 09:09 AM
I am a tack hoarder.

Every other year, my DH makes me (yes, he hounds me until I do it, or threatens to do it himself) sort through my "tack store". I absolutely hate doing it.

We pack up the stuff that I have not needed, extra bridles, stirrup irons, duplicate bits and take them down to the challenged riding program down at the KHP.

This program has a sale every year to benefit the riding program. Once I force myself to give up some stuff, I do feel better, because I know that they can really use it.

My friend found a Stubben Tristan in great condition at this year's sale for $175. Her young horse likes it better than the other saddle that she had been using on him.

My latest additions are two breakaway halters/lead ropes that I found at Wise Choice in Lexington, KY. My barn halter could go any day and my show halter is getting frayed, too. The deal was too good to resist. :)

baxtersmom
Dec. 8, 2011, 09:42 AM
I do okay not hoarding most things.

But my weakness is bridles. I think I have 7 or 8. A couple of black Vespucci bridles for different snaffles, a hackamore for jumping, a Dr. Cook's bitless, a cool XC bridle with white triangles set into the brow and noseband, figure 8 with white padding, burgundy padded Stubben... plus the extra nosebands (lever, kineton, figure 8... etc). For one horse, with one head.

But that reminds me. I need to sell my lovely, black Kieffer with the padded crown and flash. It's horse-sized but runs large, while Baxter's head runs a little small. And a gorgeous black KL Select/ Tony Slatter breastplate... if anyone needs anything like that. ;)

AliCat518
Dec. 8, 2011, 09:52 AM
Hi, My name is AliCat518 and I have recently become a blanket-whore.

I have a stable sheet, medium weight and heavy weight for the new guy. I have 2 stable sheets, a rain sheet, a medium weight and 2 heavy weights for my semi-retired guy.

Then I have 3-4 miscellaneous laying in the tack room from over the years. (Who am I kidding? Its more like 6...)

My boyfriend keeps EVERY PIECE OF LEATHER, EVER. We have a giant trunk FULL of pieces of bridles, reins, random western leather pieces...you name it.

JFCeventer
Dec. 8, 2011, 10:31 AM
This is a timely thread as I just organized my closet at the barn yesterday...

I'n not terribly big on blankets compared to everyone else but I've got two sheets, a medium, a heavy, a fleece cooler, two anti-sweat sheets, two quarter sheets, and a random stable sheet that I don't know how I got, that does not fit my one horse.

My main issue is saddle pads... I have 16 just at the barn. Those are not counting my show pads, or the ones that are currently at home to be washed. I haven't bothered to add them all up but I assume it is somewhere around 25. I have one horse.

I also have a ton of bits from back in the day when I was trying to install brakes on my first little pony so that I could actually take her cross country without being severely run away with :lol: We tried the twisted snaffle, the pelham, kimberwicke, gag, boucher, elevator, etc. My boy now is simple and goes in the same bit as when I bought him. He goes all three phases in a snaffle. So what do I do with all those bits? They just sit in a little bin on a shelf in the barn...

Bridles... I have 6. Did I mention I have one horse? One is oversized, one is pony sized, my horse is just a horse sized... I will honestly say, the remaining four I actually use all the time. One is my schooling bridle that I use daily and use to school my horse at events. The other is my Stubben white padded dressage bridle that I love more than anything. I have a black figure eight for stadium, and a custom figure eight from Pink Equine with neon green padding for xc... I promise that its not as tacky as it sounds :lol:

I too have random leather strewn about. One side of broken reins, cheeckpieces, browbands, crownpieces, nosebands... the list goes on. There's no way I can ditch those things though, because then I would actually need them...

Then I've got my random extras, stirrup irons and leathers, spray bottles that probably don't even work, empty supplement bins that I never use for anything, girths, random tack that doesn't fit my horse, etc.

After reading this thread I have come to the conclusion that horse people = hoarders :lol:

Far_North_Equestrian
Dec. 8, 2011, 10:31 AM
I have:
1 horse
15 bits
4 bridles
2 saddles
3 bins of random wrapping, booting, etc. stuff in my garage!

ohrebecca
Dec. 8, 2011, 10:38 AM
Polos/horse boots, bridles, and bits are my "hoards," but you guys seem to have me beat on all counts of even those!

runNjump86
Dec. 8, 2011, 11:53 AM
And, 10 bits? That's it??? :lol: .

After reading these other posts, I don't feel bad about 10 bits now! :lol: However, most of them are the same, just different variations. Twisted wire snaffle, D ring Myler (love) snaffle, rubber D ring snaffle, full-cheek snaffle, regular loose ring snaffle, sweet-iron snaffle (loved when I was bitting my horse up for the first few weeks), eggbutt snaffle with copper mouth...oh, they're all snaffles? *facepalm*

I finally got ride of a TON of stuff that I knew I wouldn't use again, or at least for many, MANY years; a size 70" nylon sheet (current horse wears a 74"), four spare halters that were ALL royal blue, a nylon royal blue tie-down and barrel rein set, an extra set of Prof. Choice hind boots, a set of leg boots from YEARS ago with no brand, three Western show blankets (two not great quality, one was really nice but still went) an English breastplate that was horrid quality and didn't fit my horse one bit, and a sleazy that had been ripped so badly I turned it into a shoulder guard. :D I know there was more, but I can't recall.

Amazing how much stuff you accumulate! I'm still in the process of finding new homes for a 69" Original Weatherbeeta t/o blanket that is in AMAZING condition, a brand-new burgundy sleazy, and a brand-new Cashel fly mask that doesn't fit my horse.

Since we're moving I had to finally go through stuff and take sentimental value away. I kept a couple things from my old horses, but I couldn't justify keeping my Western show pad when it hasn't seen the light of day in 15 years and was too nice to just waste away in a trunk. I still have quite the collection of horsie clothes, but the ones I'm keeping actually fit my horse lol.

RiverBendPol
Dec. 8, 2011, 12:14 PM
Any of those rain sheets 70", 76", and 84". Maybe I can help your space problem :D

I've only been at this 5+ years and already I have extra blankets, bits and assorted leathers. Is this what I have to look forward too? :eek:

I know it is the American way to always make money, the art of the deal and all, but perhaps three are times when just letting go and giving stuff a way can help the soul and space issues.

Serious about the rainsheets. Here in SC we bounce all over the place in the winter from 60s to 30s (in one day) and rain in between. Some days, if I had sheets I'd feel better letting my older guys stay out instead of stalled (9 hour work day means if sunny by 12/1, they are stuck till I get home).
JP, I'LL CHECK FOR YOU! Oops.......Are you near Aiken? I could bring you one in February...84 is the only one I might have...

runNjump86
Dec. 8, 2011, 01:13 PM
OH! I forgot...I also sold 4 western girths that were of varying lengths between 28"-36". I kept three...my big-ass one that was used once on my TB before I sold him, my cheap but awesome girth that's on my Western saddle now, and a practically-new one that fits my current horse.

The better stuff I took to a tack auction and made about $100. I about choked, considering there was at least $400 of stuff in the trunk. But, it was used stuff, and a small crowd. But $100 sure beats nothing!!

I donated the halters, a set of polo wraps, the off-brand leg boots, and a couple other small things (extra brushes I think, since I have oh, 20 it seems) to a friend of mine who runs a horse rescue. She was very pleased!

Oh...and as for saddles...I have four. My Western, another Western that fits DH that I could. not. pass. up. (FREE!), my new Courbette Axxis that I'm still not sure about (haven't jumped in it yet; that's the ultimate test) and my A/P that I've had for 17 years. It is beat up, needs new billets, and has the slickest seat EVER. But I love that saddle. I paid $100 for an English kit that had the saddle, bridle, girth, and bit (girth and bit got pitched as soon as it was unpacked) and its been through hell and back and still rides wonderfully. I learned to jump in it. I joke that if I can hang on to that saddle I can hang on to anything lol.

Dawnd
Dec. 8, 2011, 02:00 PM
What I seem to have a lot of...I have a LOT of.

Helmets, gloves, blankets, girths, saddlepads are the things that I seem to collect. It's not intentional but if I'm buying one thing at a store or on line, I'll always say to myself, "you can't have too many _____ " or "one day I might need _____ "

And I have go to things that I purchase. Gloves are my item of choice right now. I seem to have the attitude that hey, it's only $27 bucks. I could use another pair. I bet if you counted all of my regular riding gloves, winter riding gloves, show gloves and work gloves, I probably have close to 15-20 pairs of gloves, not counting the ones that I can't find mates to OR that I just don't want to wear anymore.

I now have my horse at home but when I was boarding...every one usually came to borrow something from me.

I also seem to have a lot of "goop". Things to spray or put on my horse. Most have only been used once or twice but I'll buy something to try and then never use it again or I forget that I have it.

runNjump86
Dec. 8, 2011, 02:33 PM
I also seem to have a lot of "goop". Things to spray or put on my horse. Most have only been used once or twice but I'll buy something to try and then never use it again or I forget that I have it.

LOl me too. I finally threw out the old bottles of shampoo/conditioner that I used for myself, then stopped liking, so planned on using it on my horse. In all reality I *might* go through one bottle of each on my horse in a full year, and that's if we're showing or he's having an itchy-skin attack. I couldn't validate having seven bottles of half-used conditioner, lol.

I also dug out a small bottle of Quicbraid that was at least ten years old, from when I was showing every weekend. Stuff still works! Now THAT I will keep, lol!! Quicbraid is more expensive than the 79-cent VO5 conditioner lol.

slp2
Dec. 8, 2011, 09:21 PM
:o :o :o And those icons are just for my saddle collection!! My life used to be simple. One horse, 2 saddles that fit her perfectly (one dressage, 1 jump).

Then I got horse #2. Her back is completely different from my other horse. Friend gives me a Wintec with an adjustable gullet to start her in (which I rode her in until she was 4 and I couldn't stand the saddle anymore). Then I found a great dressage saddle for her (used thankfully). THEN I bought a used lovely Amerigo as a jump saddle for her. That fit her for approximately 6 months. It's in my garage waiting to go out on consignment. So then, since I couldn't jump in my dressage saddle, I got another jump saddle that fit her.

Then, my hubby wants to start riding. He is 6'3" with LONG legs (I'm more like 5'3"). So we had to buy another saddle that fit him.

So let's add this up . . . . between 2 horses, I now have 7 saddles. Ugh.

I'm not even going to get into my "bit bin of shame" . . . . which I believe to be the world's largest collection of uber mild bits. :lol:

runNjump86
Dec. 8, 2011, 11:08 PM
OMG! OMG!!! I found the solution for blanket whores!!

SPACE BAGS.

They have seriously changed. my. life. (pathetic? yes)

Due to the upcoming move, I picked up a pack of three large ones, thinkin' what the hell...WELL, WTH indeed!! I had to run back to Walmart for more!! Not only have I condensed my massive pile of towels (those things just don't pack well) and blankets into three neatly vacuumed bags, but I ventured into the garage and surveyed the container of sheets/slinkys/polo wraps, and decided to try one out.

In ONE large space bag, I packed the following:
1 LW sheet from Schneiders
1 HW sheet (oxymoron, but I swear that thing is heavy for a sheet but is not a blanket)
1 normal sheet
1 Sleazy
1 HW lycra sleazy w/ tail bag
Set of 4 polo wraps

Hooked up the vacuum, and viola! Neatly packed horsey items, ready to go into a trunk a quarter of the size. I picked up a Jumbo bag today to pack the spare winter blankets in!!

I'm so excited. It makes my hoarding look manageable :lol:

And to compensate for keeping all the blankets, I dug out my icky rubber-mouth D ring snaffle and tossed it out. It had been so badly chewed on it was sharp. So I feel justified now. :D

Wordplay1832
Dec. 9, 2011, 01:24 PM
At one point I had 4 saddles for 1 horse....

I had my first saddle (a wintec that I used on my first few horses), I bought a jump saddle on Ebay that I ended up not liking at it didn't fit the horse well. Used it for a couple months then just held onto it and eventually sold that one. I have my dressage saddle (a county competitor-my favorite in the whole world) and then bought a jump saddle from a friend of mine. I got down to one horse before I got down to 3 saddles. I don't use the wintec but thought I would hold onto it for breaking silly babies in the future. It is currently gathering dust in my garage.

I have just random stuff I need to get rid of (old saddle pads, leather stuff, old riding boots, etc.) and I probably have too many saddle pads. I'm sure I will have a good stockpile of blankets, polos, and horse boots. Right now they are at fairly reasonable levels but as I get rid of other stuff I'm going to have to fill up the empty space right? ;)

Babble
Dec. 9, 2011, 02:06 PM
Haha - love this discussion.

If you don't count my retired OTTB (27 years old) who lives with my mom (some of my old stuff migrated when she went to my parents house), I have: two horses; managed to keep it to three saddles; 6 bridles, although one doesn't currently fit horse #1 or horse #2, keeping around for the eventuality of breaking and training a baby that is on the way (currently a bun in horse #1's oven), and I don't even want to count blankets or saddle pads. Each horse has three daily turnouts (sheet/midweight/heavyweight), but I have myriad of stable blankest/coolers/sheets/dress sheets etc. that they share. What is is about coolers and dress sheets that are so appealing? Every time I see one I want to buy it. Same with saddle pads. I love them. Is that weird?

I haven't even counted my bit collection, but since horse #1 seemed to change her preference for bits every six months during her long competitive career (she is 17 now), suffice it to say a lot.

I think that this is reality of horse ownership. A new boarder at my barn just bought her first horse and has been overwhelmed by the amount of stuff needed along with said horse. It just comes with the territory.

eventingismylife
Dec. 9, 2011, 09:12 PM
I blame Pony Club:lol: Haha

When you are told to have at least one spare of EVERYTHING for each horse, and size, stuff piles up. I have stuff from when I had a 14.2h QH/Paint to the giant TB and ISH I had- both of which were at least 17hh. It is quite ridiculous.

The bad thing is that I see a need to keep most of it, especially being that I will probably have another moster horse (I can't seem to get away from them) in the future I can't seem to part with the giant blankets and such. All of it is sitting around in my trailer's tack room and the tack room I have here at home.

You know you are a tack hoarder when you have a tack room at home, even though you board your horse elsewhere.

I did take the tacky (no pun intended) western show closes I had as well as some other western gear to the consignment tack store. Speaking of which, I should see if the rest has sold... And I got rid of my black western show saddle, now I just have to get rid of the Abetta. I still can't seem to get rid at least one of the bareback pads I have, and the fringed nylon western bridle and breast plate set I have. Maybe I will use it on xcountry, :lol:

furlong47
Dec. 9, 2011, 09:23 PM
I don't own (and never have owned) a horse.

I currently have 2 saddles, but at the most I had 4.

I have 4 bridles
5 each halters and lead ropes
5 or 6 girths
2 breastplates & 2 martingales
enough saddle pads to outfit an entire barn (like 20, seriously, I have a saddle pad problem)
and a massive grooming kit, among other things

Now, I did spend my teen years working in a barn in exchange for riding. They had very little tack and what they did have was not in great condition or not particularly ideal for the horses at the time. So I bought what I needed and I continue to hoard it all because I will need it again, sometime :lol:

I do use some items on the schoolie I ride, or when riding with a friend on one of her horses.

But yes, I have a lot of extra stuff!

lv4running
Dec. 9, 2011, 09:44 PM
Three horses
Two saddles, borrow another an just sold one (one horse isn't being ridden
right now)
Six bridles
Four breastplates
Four saddles pads
Ten bits
Nine sets of reins
Three lunge lines and three whips (can only lunge one at a time at this point)
Six sets of overreach boots
Six sets of spint boots
Nine blankets
Grooming eqpt...lost track but I have a complete set at each barn (2) and in the car, plus some at the house
...and a partridge in a pear tree.

I justify all of this by saying horses change their minds on various bits, I like having bridles set up for the verious bits I use, and it's cheaper to keep it than buy new in a year.

GreyDes
Dec. 9, 2011, 10:17 PM
I feel SOOOOO much better about my tack ownership after reading this thread!!!

MunchingonHay
Dec. 9, 2011, 10:43 PM
1 saddle
1 girth
3 pads
1 draw reins
2 bridles
3 bits
misc. brushes, grooming stuff
full chaps
2 sets of paddock boots
top hat
breeches
hard hat (which I should toss)
heavy weight rambo blanket (I live in Fl)

and I dont even have a horse:lol::lol:

and I have not ridden since I started back at school 3 years ago. :lol::lol::lol:

CdnRider
Dec. 10, 2011, 12:33 AM
I'm not even going to get into my "bit bin of shame" . . . . which I believe to be the world's largest collection of uber mild bits. :lol:

LOL!! After 10+ years of TB ownership of various types, I also have a sad collection of mild bits, I'm pretty sure that I have one of every type of Happy Mouth and the most severe bit is a thin french link that I don't think I've used. (I'm sure I have 10 or more various rubber/non metal bits)

I also have a huge Blanket supply. Does anyone else always find it easier and definately more exciting to buy a new blanket instead of wash/repair the old one? I am HORRIBLE for this. I just moved across the country and had to drastically reduce my junk. That said I have 2 horses, one is a yearling that isn;t blanketed and still lives on the other side of the country - so really one horse that I need to blanket. I have 4 stable blankets, 2 rainsheets, 4 winter blankets, 2 coolers, 2 summer sheets, 2 fly sheets, 2 quarter sheets. And I maybe forgetting more. (Again this is DRASTICALLY reduced from this time last year). Although I have had up to 5 horses at one time.

CBudFrggy
Dec. 10, 2011, 10:31 AM
Since we are not lessoning anymore, nor showing, I took a look around my stuff and decided "sell, sell, sell." Barn sale is next weekend and proceeds to my friends horse rescue. Bits, horse boots, halters, 1 English bridle, 1 western bridle, saddle pads (do these things procreate behind my back???), laundry baskets (why do I have these???) and some water jugs for horse camping...hopefully I'll have big turn out and my things will go to good use and make some $$$ for my friend's rescue. (Shameless plug for Promise Acres in Avon Park, FL.)

TJGoSurf
Dec. 11, 2011, 12:01 PM
One horse, one saddle, two bridles, two bits, one blanket, one cooler. Maybe it was my upbringing but I don't keep stuff that doesn't have a purpose. Of course people at the barn where I keep the horse love me because anytime something becomes useless to me its given away.

The girlfriend is the hoarder who has everything from when she was a kid.

sunnycher
Dec. 11, 2011, 12:56 PM
What about clothes? I have some breeches that were my daughters, and will (someday) fit my granddaughter....or me, when I get to my fighting weight.

I woke up EARLY this am. so went through the paddock boots and half chaps, can get rid of 2 pair paddocks with holes and couple of pair of chaps that are all stretched out. I buy new ones regularly. It's kind of like purses, I don't realize how bad they look until I take it out to use again!!!! At least we aren't alone in our disease...thankfully!

Equine Studies
Dec. 11, 2011, 06:18 PM
I'm not listing my stuff. It will make me feel bad. But add me to the club.

MyssMyst
Dec. 11, 2011, 06:38 PM
I feel SOOOOO much better about my tack ownership after reading this thread!!!

Yup! My husband's eyes just bugged, and he has vowed to stop complaining about my stuff, lol.

jackalini
Dec. 11, 2011, 08:03 PM
Hrm, well, hate to admit this, but I have 1 horse and:
-3 saddles, jumping, dressage, and western (soon to be 2, selling my dressage saddle)
-4 bridles
-8-9 bits
-4 halters (2 leather, 2 nylon)
-10-15 pads (sensitive girl needs a non-sweaty/dirty pad each time)
-5 girths
-3 or 4 sets of polos I don't use anymore

That said, dang, I need to do some ebay-ing for Christmas cash!

quietann
Dec. 12, 2011, 09:55 AM
Why do I have 4 stable sheets, NONE of which fit my first and only horse? I have probably bought another 4... have yet to find a stable sheet that works on her.

Also:
2 saddles (both dressage)
4 sets of standing wraps
4 sets of the bandages that go over standing wraps
2 bridles
3 or 4 bottles of quicbraid (why???)
numerous brushes, curries etc. but the one I like the most has been missing since March
~5 bits
~10 saddle pads several of which need to be tossed
3 sheepskin half-pads and about to but one without sheepskin
4 fly masks (no, she doesn't destroy them, I just keep accumulating them.)

And so forth

scubed
Dec. 12, 2011, 10:12 AM
I don't even want to count bits or blankets, not to mention boots. I am pretty reasonable about saddle pads. The current saddle count is 7 (5 are for sale and then I need to buy a dressage saddle that actually works).