PDA

View Full Version : How much per event?

jumpsnake
Dec. 7, 2011, 07:48 PM
OK, so I am going to try to get to at least a few events with the horse I lease now- provided the soundness, financial, auto, and work gods all work with me! lol.

In an effort to start budgeting for this, I'm wondering if any of you have an average cost per event? I know the entry fee is just the beginning....
Also, tips to save money? I'm up for camping, except how do you shower? I don't think anyone would want to be within 10 feet of me if I didn't shower all weekend!
Unexpected costs?

Action42
Dec. 7, 2011, 08:22 PM
Hm.... Let's see.

Gas - let's say 1 tank of gas each way $160
Coaching - $100 (I'd say most people don't take their coach)
Entry - $350 (including stabling, sometimes as low as $250)
Hotel - $125 for two nights (coach and I share a room)
Food - $100 - $125 (me + coach for weekend)

So roughly $835 a weekend. Now, how do I save money? You could start by showing without a coach (so -$100), I try to go to shows where I can stay with a friend or family instead of a hotel (-$125). I also usually pack food to make easy lunches and breakfast so that I only have to buy dinner (-$75). Also, since I have a 2 horse trailer and only one horse, if I rideshare I can split gas (-$80).

So if I do all that: instead of $835 I get to more like $450. If I go farther away, I will spend more on gas (obviously) even if I ride share. And though you didn't specify, this is for recognized events. If you're in my area, maybe we could share rides. :-)

JFCeventer
Dec. 7, 2011, 08:25 PM
Oh yes the unexpected costs...

The thing that always gets me no matter how many events I enter is I look at the entry fee, think its not so bad, then go to fill out my entry form and realize I need to add $20. $20 isn't too much, but it usually makes the entry fee number look a lot worse because, at least where I am, it usually makes it over $200 or very close to it.

Then of course there's stabling if its a multi-day show or you're far/will have an early time. This ranges quite a bit from area to area, event to event, and how many days. I've paid $60 and I've paid $200. So its hard to get a good estimate on that. Same for the actual entry fees.

Then there's gas. Obviously depends on what car you're driving, how many horses/what type of trailer you're hauling, and how far you're going. Also, gas prices vary drastically all over the place. Again, very hard to get an estimate on that.

You have a few options for food. I think the most inexpensive would be to run to the grocery store before you leave and get what you want. Some things will either need a cooler with ice that you'll have to replace (I am known for raiding the ice machines at the hotels I stay at to refill my coolers... :lol:) or you won't be able to bring them. We usually bring some breakfasty things like single serving cereal, granola bars, poptarts, etc. Then we'll pack some rolls and something easy like chicken salad so we don't have to fuss with coldcuts and condiments, etc. We bring lots of water and some sugary drinks too, like juice or soda. We also bring things to snack on throughout the day in case we want to eat something small between phases. That is a lot of food for only one or a few people but we always have a big group, so what you bring will depend on who is going with you, but hopefully that gives you an idea. You can of course buy food from the concession stand at the event but its not usually the healthiest and can be pricey if you're trying to save money.

As for accommadations for yourself, some events get discounts at hotels if you mention them. Some events as you mentioned have camping available. I know a lot of eventers do this but I have not so I cannot give you much insight into that but I can definitely say that it will save you a lot of money because any decent hotel is expensive.

I'm in Area 1 and a typical one or two day event with stabling, travelling about four hours total (there and back), food for the humans, and accommadations for the humans usually runs about:

Entry: $175 (this is kind of an average) + $20 USEA fee = $195
Stabling: $100 (Again, an average)
A few bales of 2nd cut hay: $8.50x3=about $25 (this is bringing my own, typically buying at the event is more expensive)
2 bags shavings: $12 (again bringing my own)
Gas: Typically will fill the tank twice just to have it...$160
Hotel for one night: $120 (Again, an average)
Food: $50

Coming to a grand total of: About $560 Wow, I shouldn't have just added all that up :lol:

So, like I said, there are a ton of variables, you can pay a lot less than that or a lot more then that. To cut some costs you can carpool and split the gas money, if you want/need a tack stall you can split that two or three ways with friends, as I mentioned get a hotel discount or camp, try to find events close to you, etc. Good Luck!

wildlifer
Dec. 7, 2011, 08:34 PM
I don't pay a trainer or anything like that and I camp in my truck. So entry fee + diesel. Then I add a campsite fee if I have to pay one to park and sleep at the showgrounds. I will stable if I have to, but I try to find someone offsite if the place has exorbitantly ridiculous stabling (re: Carolina Horse Park). If I want to shower, I will either hit up a friend who has a fancy trailer or other friend who has hotel room.

If someone comes with me, I will get a hotel room, but I use hotel points I earn with a lot of work travel, so that is usually free. I do not pay for tack stalls or any "extras." I try to pack food from home as much as I can.

Cost varies widely by event for me, so it's hard to give firm numbers, but I'd say at least $450-500 per recognized event.

AusEventer
Dec. 7, 2011, 08:44 PM
This is really interesting for me here in Oz. Is it common for people to hire a coach for a weekend's competition? Not something that really happens here!

After reading this, I am not going to complain about entry costs ever again...here in Vic, it costs around $100-150 to enter a horse trials/ODE (1* and below, so equivalent of Prelim and lower). This may or may not include a yard or stable. It is common here for competitors to camp in their trailer or tent and to bring their own yards (not all venues have yards or stabling).

Fuel/Gas costs are probably similar.

I don't eat much when competing, but take my own snacks & then just have to fork out for an evening meal. I take my own feed and bedding with me rather than buying it at the event.

I only stay at a hotel if away for several days. Some venues I compete at have showers. Sometimes (if only away one night) I go without :P (especially if the showers are ikky!).

I budget for about $250-300 for a weekend affiliated competition - a lot more if it is a 3DE or a ODE further away. Local unaffiliated comps would cost about a third of the price (they are usually day trips).

gold2012
Dec. 7, 2011, 08:50 PM
Well...

If you need to do it cheap:

225 Entry.
If you can find very near home you can trailer in, but sometimes diesel eats away that savings!
125 stall.

Now for what you can control with some finagling.

Hauling. Find someone to haul with. Trade some grooming for hauling! So that will be a big variable.

Shavings, bag up some from home! If you used bagged, keep it clean at show and take back home! It's not that hard, and you don't have to worry about allergic reactions. Fairhill, our horse had a major reaction to shavings!

Food. Go buy a little, portable grill from Walmart! Pack some meat in a cooler w/ dry ice! Lasts most of the weekend! And it's amazing how good that grill smells and the friends you make! Or keep! Jon! Three of us can eat all weekend for under 50.00 and that's three healthy meals! Well and Smoothie Lady!

Accommodations: lots of the places have showers, but again, Walmart has a cute shower tent. 75 dollars! It is pretty cool! Then they have a sun water heater....it works well! Keep all of it in a box, and it quickly pays for itself first show! Otherwise take a sponge bath!

Earning money.
People will pay for you to braid! Also offer people night feeding services, or picking a stall, or.....you get the idea!

We have done shows, and made more then we spent! But it requires no sleep or not much! But you meet amazing people!

secretariat
Dec. 7, 2011, 08:58 PM
Average $500 per entry for us. Can do higher or lower. Look for 1 days and non-rec, MUCH cheaper.

Bogie
Dec. 7, 2011, 09:05 PM
Hmmm, this thread made me happy that I now foxhunt. $500 for the spring and fall season, hunting twice a week and most hunts are within a 40 minute drive!

akor
Dec. 7, 2011, 09:09 PM
I am in the MN/WI area and "all in" (This includes gas, hotel, food, paying for chores at home, etc..) I am at $700 - $850. This does not count tack or anything I buy at the show OR photographer. Entry fees here are $275 on up. Most shows are three days, some are two. I haul from 150 to 300 miles away. Clinics, when all in - run not nearly as high, but still high if I have to hotel. And, of course, I am not factoring in wear and tear on truck, etc.

AKB
Dec. 7, 2011, 09:21 PM
An high quality (e.g., The Maryland Horse Trials) unrecognized, one day event is usually about $100. Add $30 of gas and it totals $130. That assumes that you bring sandwiches, drinks, and hay from home, don't have a coach, and don't need stabling.

The huge difference in costs between unrecognized and recognized events is why many people start off at unrecognized events.

Aelfleah Farm
Dec. 7, 2011, 09:26 PM
We stay in an RV, so a bit different...

But 200 for entry and 125 for stall is norm.

RV gets crappy gas mileage... Hence why we won't go more than 300 miles away. But the RV is paid for...
Bring all of our own food and beverages. Bring a 5gal water cooler (20lbs of ice and 2 gallons of water last all weekend) that we leave in the barn to refill water bottles. If there is camper hook ups, we use them, otherwise we run off a generator (more gas).

If allowed (some facilities are nazi's) we bring our own shavings. Facilities want $9 a bag!

Always bring our own hay. Always do our own braiding. Rarely use a coach.

Still, I expect a weekend to run 650+.

Only down side is I can't leave the grounds once hooked up. The RV is a PITA to get backed into tight stabling areas for loading/unloading, but we even stop at handy rest stops and make sandwiches for lunch when hauling, instead of fast food. Every little dollar saved is another to spend on a horse!

Action42
Dec. 7, 2011, 09:42 PM
Oh I should add that I also bring my own hay and feed. Shavings I buy on site at around $6 a bag. I also do my own braiding (and will gladly braid for others if needed). I also usually buy some show photos (see my thread below about David Mullinix Photography).

yellowbritches
Dec. 7, 2011, 10:17 PM
A LOT is going to depend on where you are!

Here in Eventing Mecca (Middleburg, VA), literally from my door, I am maybe 10 minutes from one high end event, and maybe 15 from a second high end event (to which I also supposedly can hack to). There is also an unrecognized venue 5 minutes away. Those are just three of MANY within a 90 minute drive. I can get by a lot cheaper here in Area 2 than someone on the West coast, because I don't have to travel very far (less fuel, less wear and tear on the vehicle), I almost never have to stable and take get a hotel (less for stabling, hotel or camping, food for myself, fuel to travel from the event to the hotel, which can add up!), and can often do all three phases over one weekend day (less time off from work...for those who that is an issue for!). I can probably get away with 2 events for what others shell out to do one.

Beam Me Up
Dec. 7, 2011, 10:44 PM
Also in NoVA, usually figure 100 for unrec entry, 200 for rec, + gas. I don't normally include food in the calculation because I bring from home, and would have eaten whether I'd evented or not.

I guess the general cost of living here is pretty bad, though, so that may even out horsekeeping/eventing overall when compared with areas that require more driving.

deltawave
Dec. 7, 2011, 10:58 PM
An enterprising person who had one horse at a show could make a few bucks by offering services such as braiding, tack/boot cleaning, hand-walking, early AM feeding, stall stripping, trailer cleaning, etc.

Generally if I have just one horse at a multi-day show I can do all of that stuff myself, but if it's a one-day show or if I am competing two I would definitely pay decent money to have a helping hand with chores like these.

I've never seen anyone actually offer this type of service (other than Pony Club kids doing boot polishing) but I certainly have wished more than once that such Barn Fairies existed! :)

I'll amend that by adding that I have seen people offer to strip stalls for half of the stall deposit fee, and I almost always take them up on it. If the deposit is $20 I will gladly pay someone $10, and spare myself a tedious job when all I want to do is get on the road. :yes:

Far_North_Equestrian
Dec. 7, 2011, 11:07 PM
Where I am - I'm luckily located about a 10 min trailer ride from 3 of the better event venues in the province, so I can generally get away with only entry fees (+/- $160)and a $50 trailer ride. I can do 6 events per season plus a couple combines tests and never leave my own backyard. If you want to go for championships you're at the mercy of the chosen venue though.

secretariat
Dec. 8, 2011, 12:36 AM
Deltawave - our barn slaves (aka working students) are usually available for those types of services to help generate a little spending money.

deltawave
Dec. 8, 2011, 08:04 AM
Put up some flyers at the secretary's stand and in those porta-potties! :lol:

Duckz
Dec. 8, 2011, 11:12 AM
This is in Area II where I can get do most events in one day and gas costs split two ways.

Entry: $200
Gas: $50
Coaching: $50
Food: $10 (picked up on the way, packed in a cooler)
Booze: $10 (bubbly, wine or beer; shared with coach, barn mate, parking lot neighbors, etc)
On-site tack store: at least $30 on god-knows-what
Pictures: $0 - $100, depending on quality

So in the ballpark of $400 if I'm being honest. The moral of the story is that we should all take up a cheaper hobby, and that you should park next to me at events.

Mtn trails
Dec. 8, 2011, 01:03 PM
From Area VII, most event venues are within 2 hours of home unless you're going to Oregon or Rebecca (obviously). So:
Entry - $200+-
Stabling - anywhere from $75 - $150
Diesel - @ $100 per tank and 2 tanks = $200
Food - @ $50
I have a small living quarters so don't have to go the hotel route and camping is free.
One event provides shavings and one doesn't so 2 bags of shavings - $10
hay - $20 for 2 large bales of orchard grass

Roughly $600 Yikes!

Jealoushe
Dec. 8, 2011, 01:21 PM
Wow..not going to complain next summer!

Entry: $150-$200
Gas/Diesel : I always ride share with one or two people ($30-$80 being the most expensive)
Stabling: Never stable, always do one days and drive up and back. In the rare case usually $50.
Food: I always bring lots of snacks and drinks (maybe $30 to buy?)

The very most I ever spend, around $360.

Average, I spend $250 :)

Xanthoria
Dec. 8, 2011, 02:12 PM
My last event (in CA):

Entry: $250 (avg in CA)
Stabling $115
Shavings $20
Food $70
Camping fee $10
Gas $100
--------------------
$565

That's as cheap as you can possibly do it in California I think.

Pretty expensive, compared to the UK (where I'm from)... how the heck do people do it? I see lots of people doing 6-8 of these per year in my area!

(ETA $565 is 361GBP. Here's a UK person (http://www.britisheventing.com/messages.asp?topicid=7710&section=00010001000200490001) complaining of the high event fees at an event she went to last year: cost was 72GBP or $112... and you can bet she didn't have to drive 4 hours to get there or stay in a hotel etc... )

SimpleSimon
Dec. 8, 2011, 03:16 PM
From Area VII, most event venues are within 2 hours of home unless you're going to Oregon or Rebecca (obviously).

Unless you don't live near the I-5 corridor in WA. Until the addition of Stanton, the nearest event to me was Rebecca - at 4.5-5 hours away.

Just a friendly reminder that Area VII covers a lot of land...:winkgrin:

And while I'm at it...not all of Washington is rainy either :yes:

Heinz 57
Dec. 8, 2011, 04:23 PM
From Area VII, most event venues are within 2 hours of home unless you're going to Oregon or Rebecca (obviously).

Oh lordy I wish! Although I guess that statement would be true if you're in western/southwestern Washington. Inavale is just over an hour from me, with the next closest being 3+ hours if traffic is nonexistent. Add to that, that pretty much every venue is in a town that doesn't even HAVE a motel, and there's plenty of driving to be had! :lol: Especially since the majority of our events seem to be held over three days, now. Not a one day in sight! :no:

I'm going with tent-camping this year. Had looked at a small LQ trailer, but to justify the increased cost over just getting a hotel room, I'd have to do more events than we even have in this area. :)

Chouteau
Dec. 8, 2011, 04:46 PM
I'm overboard OCD - I have a spreadsheet (which my husband will NEVER see) listing the anticipated budget and actual expense for each event - line items for entries (incl stall), shavings, schooling, hotel, gas & food so I know exactly what I spend and what I can plan on next year. I'm in area IV so I have one in town event & travel 3-10 hours for everything else. Last year & the year before the cheapest was of course the in town at $485, the most expensive was the AECs (which don't really count) but the average for the others was $750 - & I was able to share rides and hotels for most trips last year. Even the clinic I went to this fall which was 4 hours away came to $750.

Hilary
Dec. 8, 2011, 07:14 PM
Travel and multiple days racks up the $$ really fast. I am really fortunate to live in Area 1 where most of the events are within 2-3 hours from me. I have been to the events that are a 5 hour drive and while they are fantastic, they are multi-day and the driving alone adds another day. Even if you rode your dressage test at 4pm it's not fair to the horse to have a 5 hour trailer ride and then compete, so that's 1 extra night and meal. (stabling is usually a block, but sometimes it's per night)

I can go to 2 local one-day events (and maybe a lesson!) for the cost of the 5-hour drive, multi-day event.

Sometimes I pay for coaching. If my instructor is there and available I will - why not, it always helps!? But if she is not, I'm fine. I braid myself. I always bring my own hay and bedding - but I keep my horse at home, so if you board, maybe that's less of an option? But no way am I spending $7 on a bale of something when I have several hundred in my barn. I also take unused bedding home! I am such a shavings miser!

I will, though, if the local PC is offering to strip stalls for $20 I do that - I hate stripping stalls, and it's a good cause.

The 2 -3 multi-day events I do, for me are little vacations. So I spend money on them. I like to eat well, and dinners are a fun social occasion with the friends I don't see much. I've slept in the trailer eating peanut butter sandwiches, and I don't want to do that all the time.

Mtn trails
Dec. 9, 2011, 01:40 PM
Unless you don't live near the I-5 corridor in WA. Until the addition of Stanton, the nearest event to me was Rebecca - at 4.5-5 hours away.

Just a friendly reminder that Area VII covers a lot of land...:winkgrin:

And while I'm at it...not all of Washington is rainy either :yes:

I was just saying from my home, yes, not all eventers live near I-5. And, personally, I'd love to move to E. Wash. but work prohibits it.

Mtn trails
Dec. 9, 2011, 01:43 PM
I'm going with tent-camping this year. Had looked at a small LQ trailer, but to justify the increased cost over just getting a hotel room, I'd have to do more events than we even have in this area. :)

If you're planning on going to NWEC, Aspen, or Young Riders/Lincoln Creek, get in touch. You can bunk with me - admitted it's small and homemade, but there's a refer, large bed, stove, oven, and a potty. :) Beats tenting, especially if it rains.

Heinz 57
Dec. 9, 2011, 01:50 PM
If you're planning on going to NWEC, Aspen, or Young Riders/Lincoln Creek, get in touch. You can bunk with me - admitted it's small and homemade, but there's a refer, large bed, stove, oven, and a potty. :)

Oh, I would love you forever.

If the big guy is ready for NWEC in the spring, I'd love to take him. Their course is really one of the only semi-inviting ones we have left. Speaking of being ready, how's the trial going on the new kid? May we potentially be doing our greenie BN debuts at the same time?? :yes:

I forget how far you are from NWEC, but I'm hoping to get out schooling at least a couple times over the winter/early spring, if you have any interest in joining. Per their website, the course is still open as long as the footing holds up!

Wordplay1832
Dec. 9, 2011, 02:30 PM
One thing I've noticed that saves money is to buy shavings at home. If I buy them at Theissens (farm and fleet, etc) they are about $4 a bag instead of $8 a bag. Then I feel way better about putting several bags in my horses stall (which I need to do because she gets hock sores). So if you have room to take them with you I'd definitely recommend it!
We put a bunch of people in a hotel room-take an air mattress. Sometimes it is even cheaper overall to get a suite because the floor space can be so much that we can fit a bunch of people in there. If you split it it becomes really reasonable! (We haven't camped but if the weather was going to be reasonable I would try it-I've seen people taking showers in swim suits in the wash racks, cold but hey, whatever!)
I also have the best horse show mom ever-she isn't very horsey but she is great at keeping us all fed/hydrated. She packs an awesome food box/cooler so we don't have to buy concession stand food (unless it is the crepe people-I can't resist that!) which saves money too! If there are people from my barn or even just from the area we try to trailer together to save money which really helps too..

I live in area IV so we always have to drive and pretty much everything is over multiple days. It definitely is more expensive than being able to go to a one day and not have hotel/stabling, etc.

Mtn trails
Dec. 9, 2011, 03:16 PM
Oh, I would love you forever.

If the big guy is ready for NWEC in the spring, I'd love to take him. Their course is really one of the only semi-inviting ones we have left. Speaking of being ready, how's the trial going on the new kid? May we potentially be doing our greenie BN debuts at the same time?? :yes:

I forget how far you are from NWEC, but I'm hoping to get out schooling at least a couple times over the winter/early spring, if you have any interest in joining. Per their website, the course is still open as long as the footing holds up!

Unfortunately, Dash is going back to his owner this weekend :( I had the vet out to xray his right knee since he had a lump on it so wanted to rule out issues and instead found something wrong with his joint capsule and she said he will probably break down sooner rather than later with regular jumping. He'll make a great flat horse/trail horse/western riding horse, just not a jumper. I'm going to hold off until I get the mustang sold and trainer and I will start looking at that time instead of going with the econo-nags I've been trying. Hopefully I'll have something to event next year.

I'm about 2 hours from NWEC and do like to get down there to school at least once off season. We'll see how it goes.

Heinz 57
Dec. 9, 2011, 03:50 PM
Unfortunately, Dash is going back to his owner this weekend :( I had the vet out to xray his right knee since he had a lump on it so wanted to rule out issues and instead found something wrong with his joint capsule and she said he will probably break down sooner rather than later with regular jumping. He'll make a great flat horse/trail horse/western riding horse, just not a jumper. I'm going to hold off until I get the mustang sold and trainer and I will start looking at that time instead of going with the econo-nags I've been trying. Hopefully I'll have something to event next year.

I'm about 2 hours from NWEC and do like to get down there to school at least once off season. We'll see how it goes.

Well, darn. Lumpy knees are never a good sign! I've still got two extras if you find yourself in need - although I've quietly decided that maybe, just maybe, I ought to cut down to one (the Big One) so I can regain focus and not stress about time OR money so much. It seems like that's all I do these days!

Hopefully we'll be seeing you next year. Showing alone gets, well...lonely. :lol:

Janet
Dec. 9, 2011, 10:56 PM
Entry fee - about $200
Gas (approx $0.35 per mile) about $50
Food - about $10 (I bring food with me but usually buy SOMETHING there.

So about $260