PDA

View Full Version : SI article about Boyd

RacetrackReject
Dec. 7, 2011, 11:15 AM
I thought it was a great article up until they printed this "Based on Neville's results this year, he is one of four horses the USOC has determined that Martin will be eligible to ride if he makes the Olympic team. The others are Mighty Nice, Manior de Carneville and Otis Barbotiere." Woops!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/olympics/12/06/Boyd-Martin-Olympic-hopeful/index.html

Divine Comedy
Dec. 7, 2011, 11:29 AM
Yeah, I particularly thought that sentence was entertaining! Good article otherwise.

FLeventer
Dec. 7, 2011, 11:53 AM
I just read it. Very inspiring is his attitude after all that has happened. What a professional.

mustangsal85
Dec. 7, 2011, 01:14 PM
Wait, it was really that far off?! Aren't the others Otis, Remington and Ying Yang Yo?! 1 for 3, really, SI fact checkers? Haha.

Divine Comedy
Dec. 7, 2011, 01:21 PM
I think they just listed the horses on the A Training List. Ying Yang Yo is on the B Training list, but Remington seems to no longer be of interest to the selectors, probably because Boyd has quite a few others and Remi seems like he has a good amount of time on XC and rails in SJ (lately, anyways).

ponysize
Dec. 8, 2011, 12:25 PM
When I click on the article, the right horses are listed, so they must have corrected it.

bornfreenowexpensive
Dec. 8, 2011, 01:17 PM
When I click on the article, the right horses are listed, so they must have corrected it.

Yup...good job SI. It is a good sports story...that will be even better when he wins a medal with Nev:cool:

Surprised they didn't do a picture of Boyd and Silva....they both take a good picture so If I was an editor selling magazines...I would take advantage of that;) And add a xc shot.....to give it some excitment.

wildlifer
Dec. 8, 2011, 02:33 PM
I thought that too, bfne, they could have used a more exciting picture! But it was a decent article.

retreadeventer
Dec. 8, 2011, 03:24 PM
This is GREAT exposure in national media! Good job to whoever got it placed, please follow up with an email to the writer or contact and thank them -- I am going to look around and find an email we can respond to.

It is vital that equestrian sports continue to get on the national media pages, and we have to support these stories with emails, etc. of support. It is hugely important to continued sponsorship at all levels --

pony grandma
Dec. 8, 2011, 06:25 PM
I was perplexed by this:

"The five surviving horses had to recover from smoke inhalation and burns. They were relocated to temporary stalls at Martin's other barn."

What??? It doesn't give any real idea of what everyone at the farm and the surviving horses really went through. It totally glosses over all the people and efforts that went into the recoveries. It doesn't reveal what is so special about the horse now being an Olympic candidate. The author left out the whole heart of the story. IMO

Backstage
Dec. 8, 2011, 07:13 PM
What??? It doesn't give any real idea of what everyone at the farm and the surviving horses really went through. It totally glosses over all the people and efforts that went into the recoveries. It doesn't reveal what is so special about the horse now being an Olympic candidate. The author left out the whole heart of the story. IMO

I have to agree. I didn't think it would be possible to take the "heart" or emotional punch out of Boyd/Neville's story this year...and yet, SI managed it!

Still good to see the sport in more mainstream publications, but a poor job on the actual article.

ctab
Dec. 8, 2011, 07:43 PM
This is GREAT exposure in national media! Good job to whoever got it placed, please follow up with an email to the writer or contact and thank them -- I am going to look around and find an email we can respond to.

It is vital that equestrian sports continue to get on the national media pages, and we have to support these stories with emails, etc. of support. It is hugely important to continued sponsorship at all levels --

YES YES YES

So I did a tiny bit of Googling.
I did write to the magazine itself thanking them for a positive article on horseback riding and Eventing in particular.

The author has only been working there for 5 months according to Linkendin. http://www.linkedin.com/in/stephanieapstein
but I can't find a email at SI to thank her!