PDA

View Full Version : Horse related quotes, sayings, proverbs?

M. O'Connor
Nov. 10, 2003, 02:51 PM
Student teaching...I am responsible for coming up with a quote for our classroom blackboard each day. I am getting a case of "quote fatigue." I beg for inspiration!

So what are your favorite horse related quotes, sayings, proverbs?

(OMGoodness--I missed my 2000th post!)

MCL

M. O'Connor
Nov. 10, 2003, 02:51 PM
Student teaching...I am responsible for coming up with a quote for our classroom blackboard each day. I am getting a case of "quote fatigue." I beg for inspiration!

So what are your favorite horse related quotes, sayings, proverbs?

(OMGoodness--I missed my 2000th post!)

MCL

Bumpkin
Nov. 10, 2003, 03:08 PM
Horse's make a liar out of you every time http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"Proud Member Of The I Love Dublin, Starman Babies, Mini Horse, Sunnieflax and Horse Boxes Cliques"
"Remember: You're A Customer In A Service Industry."

Flatbroke Farms
Nov. 10, 2003, 05:33 PM
Half the failures of this world arise from pulling in one's horse as he is leaping.
--Augustus Hare

Flaming enthusiasm, backed up by horse sense and persistence, is the quality that most frequently makes for success.
--Dale Carnegie

Science is not a sacred cow. Science is a horse. Don't worship it. Feed it.
--Aubrey Eben

Did you ever see an unhappy horse? Did you ever see a bird that has the blues? One reason why birds and horses are not unhappy is because they are not trying to impress other birds and horses.
--Dale Carnegie

. . .A horse is a thing of such beauty. . .none will tire of looking at him as long as he displays himself in his splendor.
--Xenophon

The wind of heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears.
-- Arabian proverb

Four things greater than all things are Women and horses and power and War
--Rudyard Kipling

For want of a nail a shoe was lost, for want of a shoe a horse was lost,
for want of a horse a rider was lost, for want of a rider a army was lost,
for want of an army a battle was lost, for want of a battle the war was
lost, for want of the war the kingdom was lost, and all for the want of a
little horseshoe nail.
--Benjamin Franklin

Kiss

~Riding: The art of keeping a horse between my butt and the ground.~

marta
Nov. 10, 2003, 05:54 PM
god created women so his horses would survive

Wind of Heaven is that which blows between a horse's ears

- Arabian Proverb

Never approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction

"It appears we are being transformed from an information
society to an informant society." Rep. Dennis Kucinich

Jewels
Nov. 10, 2003, 06:10 PM
I used to have a website with 16 pages of all quotes! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif But I cant find it http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_frown.gif So I put a few that I remember. Also if you check through Horse Illustrated magazines, there are quotes put in various places.

In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1100 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs---its just something you cant get from a pet hamster!

There are only two emotions that belong in the saddle, one is a sense of humor, and the other is patience -John Lyons

Words are as beautiful as horses, and sometimes just as difficult to corral.

It is difficult horses that have the most to give you.

All horses deserve, at least once in life, to be loved by a little girl.

Well thats all I got now! Let me know if you need more! lol

"You could say I'm a few flakes short of a bale" http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

DixieChick
Nov. 10, 2003, 06:35 PM
I heard this from a friend so I'm not sure who said it:

Life without horses is possible but pointless.

bounce
Nov. 10, 2003, 06:53 PM
If you always do what you've always done... you'll always get what you've always gotten.

(don't know who said it... but I use it often with new students that I am trying to get to try something new!)

claire
Nov. 10, 2003, 07:02 PM
Not that this is approriate for your school purposes...but it always makes me laugh:

"I can't understand the pleasure people find with horses...a horse is an animal dangerous at both ends and most uncomfortable in the middle"

I think it was Churchill that said that...not sure though!

CarolinaGirl
Nov. 10, 2003, 07:10 PM
Dixie I think thats the one I put on the whiteboard out at the barn awhile ago. I have a whole list of quotes and things I like (both horsey and not). Its not on the my comp, but on my brother's. So I will try and get my brother to send them to me. I started a new list on this computer but it doesn't have that many yet. Here's one:
You don't throw a whole life away just because its a little banged up - Tom Smith

Carolina Girls- Best in the World.

Beck
Nov. 10, 2003, 08:25 PM
I use these in my lesson barn: (Please excuse the caps - it is how they were in my file!)

WHETHER YOU BELIEVE YOU CAN DO SOMETHING, OR BELIEVE YOU CAN’T,
YOU’RE RIGHT.

IT ISN’T WHAT YOU KNOW THAT COUNTS,
IT’S WHAT YOU THINK OF IN TIME.

FAILURE IS THE OPPORTUNITY TO BEGIN AGAIN MORE INTELLIGENTLY. - Henry Ford

ETERNAL VIGILANCE IS THE PRICE OF NOT GETTING HIT IN THE HEAD.

THE PURPOSE OF THE HORSE IS TO EMBODY THE WINGS A PERSON FEELS WITHIN HER.

AIM FOR PERFECTION: EXCELLENCE WILL BE TOLERATED.

THE TRUTH DOESN’T HURT - UNLESS IT OUGHT TO.

ANYTHING SCARCE IS VALUABLE - PRAISE, FOR EXAMPLE.

SUCCESS IS THE PRODUCT OF BACKBONE, NOT WISHBONE.

WORRY GIVES LITTLE THINGS BIG SHADOWS

NO ONE KNOWS WHAT THEY CAN DO, UNTIL THEY TRY.

PEOPLE WILL BELIEVE ANYTHING, IF YOU WHISPER IT.

WHEN MADE TWICE, A MISTAKE BECOMES A FAULT.

THE ROAD TO FAILURE IS PAVED WITH INDECISION

IMPROVEMENT BEGINS WITH “I”

Riding is a partnership. The horse lends you his strength, speed and grace, which are greater than yours. For your part you give him your guidance, intelligence and understanding, which are greater than his. Together you can achieve a richness that alone neither can. - Lucy Rees

"If you expect and reward mediocrity, that is what you will get; however, if you expect and reward excellence and quality, you have a probability of getting it"
- Mark Silber, Ph.D. - university professor

....And a few more I have collected:

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

It is easier to get forgiveness than permission.

Opportunities always look bigger going than coming.

Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Blessed are they who can laugh at themselves for they shall never cease to be amused

A horse doesn't care how much you know until he knows how much you care

The hardest thing about learning to ride is the ground!

It is the difficult horses that have the most to give you.

Whoever said that money couldn't buy happiness didn't know where to buy a horse.

Jumping is just dressage with speed bumps!

Bread may feed my body, but my horse feeds my soul.

Riding isn't a matter of life or death. It's more important!

Riding is life; the rest is just minor details.

You don't have to ride EVERY day, just the ones that end in "Y"

He knows when you're happy, he knows when you're sad, and he knows when you have a carrot…

A bad ride is better than a good walk

No one can teach riding as well as a horse.

I used to have money, now I have horses.

If your horse says no, you either asked the wrong question or asked the question wrong.

A good horse and good rider are only so in mutual trust.

No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle.

It is not enough to know how to ride; you must learn how to fall

I spent most of my life riding…the rest is wasted

Life is good...horses make it better

A horse without a rider is still a horse; a rider without a horse is no longer a rider.

There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse.

You can lead a horse to water- but you can't make him step in it!

Riding the art of keeping a horse between you and the ground.

The hardest thing to do on a horse is nothing at all.

"On ne suit pas tous la meme piste.
- Not everyone follows the same trail."

"Don't get mad at somebody just 'cause they know more'n you do. It ain't their fault."

"Even if you're on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there." - Will Rogers

The horse stopped with a jerk, and the jerk fell off.

The greatest obstacle to progress is not the absence of
knowledge, but the illusion of knowledge. - Daniel Boorstin, The Key Reporter

"Do or do not. There is no try." Thank you Yoda.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, conn a ship, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve an equation, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." - Robert Anson Heinlein

If you can do it, it ain't braggin'.

teal tea
Nov. 10, 2003, 08:49 PM
If wishes were horses, than beggars would ride- I don't know the author or origin.

regalace
Nov. 10, 2003, 08:49 PM
I should probably be asking this on the eventing board, but as long as the thread's up here, I'll give it a shot. I'm looking for a specific quote about eventing. I forget how it starts, but it ends, "and if you make a mistake, make it going forward." I just need the first part and also who said it!

To contribute, I'll throw in some I've collected. I collect quotes both horsey and non-horsey. My faves:

Art thou afear'd to be the same in thine own act and valor as thou art in desire? (Lady Macbeth)

Judge not, that ye be not judged. (Matthew 7:1)

Only that day dawns to which we are awake. (Henry Thoreau)

Thought before action, if you have time. (Dick Francis)

There are fools, damn fools, and people who remount in a steeplechase.

The hooves of the horses! Oh witching and sweet is the music earth steals from the iron-shod feet. Will Ogilvie

MistyBlue
Nov. 10, 2003, 08:50 PM
Geez, I'm sure you'll get bombarded with them. There's so many. I'll only post one that I've always liked since I was a youngster:

Now I lay me down to rest
Please place my spurs upon my chest
And if you want to honor me
Then please go set my horse's free

(old cowboy saying)

Equine Crash Test Dummy
Member of: Non-GPA Clique
80's Clique
Connecticut Clique
Helmet Nazi Clique

hoopoe
Nov. 10, 2003, 08:58 PM
For want of a nail a Kingdom was lost

A horse, a horse. My Kingdom for a horse.

Job 39:19

Hast thou given the horse strength? hast thou clothed his neck with thunder?
That is, given him courage? which is meant by neighing and shaking his neck.
He paweth in the valley, and rejoiceth in strength: he goeth on to meet the armed men.
He beats with his hoof.
He swalloweth the ground with fierceness and rage: neither believeth he the sound of the trumpet.
He so rides the ground that it seems nothing under him.

_\\]
-- * > hoopoe
The ancient Greeks did not write obituaries. They only wanted to know if you had a passion.

Eomer
Nov. 10, 2003, 09:24 PM
There was an old Montana CowMan, Spike Van Cleave, who wrote (besides a couple books full of great tales of horses, cattle and family) that when he died he wanted his epitaph to be:

"He was good to his horses and true to his friends."

I can't think of a better way to be remembered.

"The fool on the hill"

x
Nov. 11, 2003, 04:55 AM
It is best not to swap horses while crossing the river.
--Abraham Lincoln

...but why discourse
upon the virtues of the horse?
They are too numerous to tell
Save when you have a horse to sell.
--Josh Billings

The race is not always to the swift nor the battle to the strong--but that's the way to bet
--Damon Bunyon

Horse sense is something a horse has that keeps him from betting on men.
--(I don't remember who the author is)

A golden bit does not make the horse any better.
--proverb

If the world were truely a rational place men would ride sidesaddle.
--Rita Mae Brown

You cannot judge the horse by the harness.
--Proverb

The only people who never fall off are those who never get on.
--anonymous

Horses have never hurt anyone yet, except when they bet on them.
--Stuart Cloete

That hoss wasn't built to tread the earth.
He took natural to the air.
And every time he went aloft,
He tried to leave me there.
--anonymous tribute to an unmanageable horse

What shall we choose in life--Pegasus or workhorse? Shall it be sprinters and jumpers to entertain us, or workers to pull the load?Do we have more need of strong hocks than we do winged hooves? Do we choose to ride the wind, feet off the ground, knowing--however briefly--an intensity, a magic that transcends the everyday? Or shall we seek stamina and support, the straining muscles of an old war horse for the journey? Maybe it all depends on what we think we need for the long haul; Pegasus, a thing of beauty, or the workhorse, a joy forever.
--Jean Schaefer

"Well, suh, about the head of a truely great hawse there is an air of freedom unconqureable. The eyes seem to look on heights beyond our gaze. It is the look of a spirit that can soar. It is not confined to hawses; even in his pictures you can see it in the eyes of the Bonaprte. It is the birthright of eagles."
--John Taintor Foote

The horse is virtually the only animal the world has ever known to be both weight-carrying servant and bosom buddy...
--L.T.L.

Show me your horse and I will tell you what you are.
--Old English Saying

I'm all for good conformation, but rarely have I seen it. If you examine the top [dressage] horses today, you will find many faults. If the imperfect machine works perfectly, who cares what the machine looks like?
--John Winnett

You can lead a horse to water, but if you can teach him to roll over and float on his back, then you got something--Joe E. Louis

There were probably just as many reckless drivers before the day of the automobile but the horses had more sense.
--anonymous

O! For a horse with wings!
--William Shakespeare

x
Nov. 11, 2003, 04:55 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by claire:
Not that this is approriate for your school purposes...but it always makes me laugh:

"I can't understand the pleasure people find with horses...a horse is an animal dangerous at both ends and most uncomfortable in the middle"

I think it was Churchill that said that...not sure though!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I believe that quote is from Ian Fleming

Holly Jeanne
Nov. 11, 2003, 05:30 AM
Posted by x "Horse sense is something that a horse has that keeps it from betting on men." I believe that was Mark Twain.

Two of my favorites:

"One of the things that makes life worth living is sharing it with other species." Mark Pokras, Director of the Wildlife Clinic at Tufts University.

"The greatness of a nation and it's moral progress can be judged by the way it's animals are treated. I hold that, the more helpless a creature, the more entitled it is to protection by man from the cruelty of man." Mahatma Ghandi

Liretta
Nov. 11, 2003, 05:46 AM
"The devil dare not enter a camp gaurded by an Arabian horse."

(I prefer to say ..."Arabian mare"...since mine would attack you if you tried to hurt my daughter) http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

claire
Nov. 11, 2003, 06:24 AM
x, Ian Fleming! Thanks, A non-riding friend framed the quote and gave it to me as a joke.
Said it expressed his attitude perfectly!

I don't know why I got the the idea it was Churchill...but funny to think of Mr. James Bond saying that!

Eomer
Nov. 11, 2003, 07:50 AM
The quote attributed to Lincoln reminded me of another horse incident he was supposedly involved in. He was beginning to mount up when the horse kicked and caught a hind foot in the stirrup. Lincoln is supposed to have said: <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>If you're getting on ... I'll get off. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

"The fool on the hill"

First Gold
Nov. 11, 2003, 10:00 AM
"His stance is proud,
His heart is pure,
His loyalty unbound.

And when he runs
his hoofbeats echo
thunders noble sound.

His swiftness challenges the wind
in untamed majesty.

His spirit ever riderless,
his soul forever free."

I'm not sure who the author is, but I love it.

gabz
Nov. 11, 2003, 10:32 AM
From Cherry Hill:
"Keep your mind in the middle and a leg on each side."

M. O'Connor
Nov. 15, 2003, 03:35 AM
Thanks for all the great replies...this has been a fun thread!

MCL

Eileen Miller
Nov. 15, 2003, 05:05 AM
How did I miss this thread??? Oh well, better late than never !!

Horses... its a wonder God didn't keep them for Himself. ~UNKNOWN

"I never play horseshoes 'cause Mother taught us not to throw our clothes around".....Mr. Ed

"On the first day God said, 'Let their be horses; on the second He painted them.'" ..unknown...this one is for you, Auntie Lynnie &gt;g&lt;

Old Proverbs: "An ass is an ass, though laden with gold." "Every ass loves to hear himself bray." "Every ass thinks himself worthy to stand with the King's horses." "The ass of a King is still but an ass." (German proverb)

"Stable thinking is the ability to say'neigh'." unknown

Both a horse and a man have something in common, both dump you, though generally you get over the horse's dumping first." Unknown

"Riding: The art of keeping a horse between you and the ground." Anonymous

Show me your horse, and I will tell you who you are. - Old English saying

Differences: Some will Some won't Some do Some don't Some are high strung Some act as if they don't care Some get excited Some stay calm Some seem to get it Some act as if they're dumb Some give up Some lay down Some go fast Some slow down Some learn fast Some seem to know Some want to lead Some want to follow Some have purpose Some are hallow It just goes to show All horsemen/women are not the same ..Unknown

"One man's wrong lead is another man's counter canter." Steven D. Price

Experienced riders are not prone to brag. And usually newcomers, if they start out being boastful, end up modest. - C.J.J.MULLEN

"A canter is a cure for every evil." Benjamin Disraeli

"There is something about riding down the street on a prancing horse that makes you feel like something, even when you ain't a thing." Will Rogers

"How short do my stirrups have to be?" Erin King, age 11, at her first English Show before she went into Short Stir Up class............sorry Widge, I couldn't resist http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

"Wherever man has left his footprint in the long ascent from barbarism to civilization, we will find the hoofprint of the horse beside it." John Trotwood Moore

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" --Winston Churchill

"Horse, thou art truly a creature without equal, for thou fliest without wings and conquerest without sword" --from The Koran

"A horse is the projection of people's dreams about themselves - strong, powerful, beautiful - and it has the capability of giving us escape from our mundane existence." --Pam Brown

" Never give up. For fifty years they said the horse was through. Now look at him-a status symbol." Fletcher Knebel

"Some of my best leading men have been dogs and horses." Elizabeth Taylor

"When I hear somebody talk about a horse or a cow being stupid, I figure it's a sure sign that the animal has outfoxed them." Tom Dorance

"Soothe your horse when he wheezes, or one day, he may turn and kick you where he pleases!" Anonymous ........submitted by Rose Ott !!

"You know a horse when you can look into his eyes and feel his pain." .....Unknown

"Closeness, friendship, affection: keeping your own horse means all these things. " -Bertrand Leclair-

"In riding a horse, we borrow freedom." -Pam Brown-

"A true horseman does not look at the horse with his eyes, he looks at him with his heart." "Our souls are entwined. My horse's and mine." ...Unknown

"My ladies have promised that I shall never be sold, and so I have nothing to fear. And here my story ends. My troubles are over and I am at home.....standing with my friends under the apple trees." Black Beauty

"There are no bad horses...only bad owners." Ron Flory

The earth does not belong to man; man belongs to the earth... All things are connected like the blood which unites a family... Man did not weave the web of life; he is merely a strand in it. Whatever he does to the web, he does to himself." Chief Seattle (1854)

"Don't be the rider who gallops all night and never sees the horse that is beneath him" --Jelaluddin Rumi

"The horse will leap over trenches, will jump out of them, will do anything else, provided one grants him praise and respite after his accomplishment." --Xenophon

Eileen

"Always saddle your own horse." Connie Reeves 1901-2003 Member of the Cowgirl Hall Of Fame

The Long Island Horsemen's Society web page
http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/lihs/

Holly Jeanne
Nov. 15, 2003, 05:20 AM
Gabz: Very cute quote but won't work for those of us that ride aside! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Lord Helpus
Nov. 15, 2003, 05:23 AM
Posted by Jewels:

&lt;&lt;In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1100 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs---its just something you cant get from a pet hamster! &gt;&gt;

LOL -- Jewels! This is for a classromm of kids! Somehow, I don't think that this quote will be the first one chosen. http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

My two faves, because I can personally identify with both of them:

A Horse! A Horse! My Kingdom for a Horse!

The outside of a horse is good for the inside of a man.

Ghazzu
Nov. 15, 2003, 07:25 AM
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by LIHS Western Chair:
How did I miss this thread??? Oh well, better late than never !!

"Horse, thou art truly a creature without equal, for thou fliest without wings and conquerest without sword" --from The Koran

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

This is not from the Qur'an, although it is popularly ascribed as so.

It may be a mildly corrupted form of a hadith.

Unashamed member of the Arab clique...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Batteries Included
Nov. 15, 2003, 08:03 AM
i know of this site and it has tons of quotes all about horses...
http://www.horses.co.uk/horses/quotes.html

but my fav's are from the O'Connor's none the less...

"To have a horse go well, after all the preparation...it is magic." - David O'Connor

"I remember the first few times that I rode. It felt wonderful to have an animal under me, to feel the power, to be able to go fast. Just having a relationship with an animal was really a great thing for me." - Karen O'Connor

~*"When you train a horse on a daily basis, you're a part of the horse's movement, you're a part of his motion. Everything that the horse experiences is coming from you. There's a total connection -- a true friendship -- and the connection touches the soul completely." -Karen O'Connor*~

~*"I really like the communication with the horse -- watching them become confident and discover the amazing things they can do. There's definitely a personal kind of closeness between you and the horse. There's a connection between your personalities." -David O'Connor*~
i just love those two!!!

tcgelec
Nov. 15, 2003, 06:53 PM
I used to put quotes on the barn whiteboard every day-- can't remember why I stopped. Maybe I'll start again now.
This is OT, but does anyone remember the poem about Man O'War? It sends tingles down my spine whenever I read it and I would love to read it again.

Here's my contibution--from an unknown author:

Let Me Teach You

When you are tense, let me teach you to relax.

When you are short tempered, let me teach you to be patient.

When you are short sighted, let me teach you to see.

When you are quick to react let me teach you to me thoughtful.

When you are angry, let me teach you to be serene.

When you feel superior, let me teach you be respectful.

When you are self-absorbed, let me teach you to think of greater things.

When you are arrogant, let me teach you humility.

When you are lonely, let me be your companion.

When you are tired, let me carry the load.

When you need to learn, let me teach you.

After all, I am your horse.

As has been said before, it's only a job if you'd rather be doing something else.

EponaRoan
Nov. 15, 2003, 10:39 PM
A good man will take care of his horses and dogs, not only while they are young, but also when they are old and past service. - Plutarch

Pat
http://www.quarterpole.com

Cherry
Nov. 16, 2003, 02:04 AM
"Throw your heart over the fence and the horse will follow..." author unknown, very old saying... I only wish someone would tell this one to the horses!!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_common/emoticons/icon_wink.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/winkgrin.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/lol.gif http://chronicleforums.com/images/custom_smilies/yes.gif

"Everything looks good until you start to examine it!!!", uttered by me on more than one occasion

EventerAJ
Nov. 16, 2003, 09:38 AM
"If your horse says no, you either asked the wrong question or asked the question wrong." (unknown)

Jaguar
Nov. 16, 2003, 10:14 AM
My favourite book of all time, has in my opinion the best quotes to live by (if you change them to human lessons).

These two are from black beauty.

There is no religion without love, and people may talk as much as they like about their religion, but if it does not teach them to be good and kind to both man and beast it is all a sham - James from Black Beauty, by anna sewell

i hope you will grow up to be gentle, and good, and never learn bad ways, do your work with good will, lift your feet up well when you trott, and never bite or kick even in play ....Duchess from Black Beauty by anna sewell

I cry everytime I read it but can read it over and over and over.
Its my absolute favourite

"I hope you will grow up to be gentle and good, and never learn bad ways, do your work with good will, lift your feet up well when you trot, and never bite or kick even in play."
-Duchess, Black Beauty, Anna Sewell

MsM
Nov. 16, 2003, 03:55 PM
"Look back at our struggle for freedom
Trace our present day's strength to its source;
And you'll find that man's pathway to glory
Is strewn with the bones of a horse."
Unknown