PDA

View Full Version : Best half-pad?

Hey Mickey
Dec. 7, 2011, 10:08 AM
I'm getting a saddle made to fit me.

Its not going to be a perfect fit for my horse because the pony is a project and isn't going to be something I keep forever unless he decides he wants to jump around Rolex. (my moms thought was, get the saddle made for him and sell it with him, problem is I need a 16 inch seat and chances are whoever buys this horse isn't going to be as tiny as me).

So basically, I'm looking for a half pad that will make the saddle fit better.
He needs a narrow in this particular tree and I am getting a meduim-narrow.
Am i better off getting a half pad that has removable shims or is a memory foam pad a better way to go?

reay6790
Dec. 7, 2011, 10:47 AM
Why are you getting a medium narrow as your saddle? I would probably go with a medium tree or even on the large side of medium if it's a "Trainer" saddle or a saddle thats going to need to fit a variety of horses.

I have a thinline comfort pad that i really like that is shimmable. i also like fleeceworks pads a lot. I dont' have a mattes but I have heard great things about them.

Hey Mickey
Dec. 7, 2011, 11:45 AM
Thanks!

Long story short, I'm getting a MN because that is what I was instructed to get. I've seen MN in this saddle fit warmbloods that have withers decently well.
I'm someone who is very much a TB person, the majority of horses I will have will be TB's and likely to fit into this saddle well enough. Hopefullly! (:

I probaly just jinxed myself.. last winter I said I wouldn't keep an ulcer-y horse. Guess whose horse has some ulcer issues...

FLeventer
Dec. 7, 2011, 11:52 AM
I love my thinline pad. It is shimmable and you can get the trifecta pad with sheepskin. I have the plain cotton bottom one, but a lot of people have rave reviews about the sheepskin trifecta pad. I would highly recommend as I have noticed a major difference in my horse since using it.

kkindley
Dec. 7, 2011, 03:14 PM
I have a shimmable Mattes pad and me and my horse like it. She's more of a MN and both my saddles are M's. It takes up the space nicely.

Meredith Clark
Dec. 7, 2011, 03:17 PM
I had a fleeceworks pad with the removable foam in the front sides and seat. It was great but someone stole it from me!! :mad:

I didn't feel like spending the money again so I got the Dover (Circuit Sheepskin Half pad) half pad.. it's worked out great!

RiverBendPol
Dec. 7, 2011, 03:36 PM
Get this one fast, it expires at noon tomorrow...

http://www.tackoftheday.com/extra/default.aspx?c1=email&source=TOTDdaily&kw=20111207

purplnurpl
Dec. 7, 2011, 03:52 PM
ooo...MN is giong to be a rough fit on most horses.

Infact, I don't think I've EVER ridden a horse that goes in anything less than a medium wide!!
that's including TBs and one narrow TK.

That being said,
get a 1/2 pad that allows for shims.

also, I like the equinity performance pad. It takes up a cm or so of room if your saddle is too wide. I ride many horses with only 1 or two saddles. all have responded well to the EP gel pad.
I especially like it for the saddle I have that is lower quality. The wool stuffing sucks. It's hard and a little bit bumpy--I like the equinity under that saddle.

This site has both styles of pad (equinity and 1/2 pad with shims)
http://equinityperformance.com/products.html#perf

IFG
Dec. 7, 2011, 04:03 PM
I love my Thinline Trifecta. It is shimmable.

flashwhitelock
Dec. 7, 2011, 04:08 PM
Before panicking about the medium narrow, that really depends on the type of saddle. There is one type of County that I know of where the narrow tree is the same as medium for other brands.

I would use a mattes shimmable pad. Expensive, but all three saddle fitters I used recommended that as the best for fitting a "it doesn't fit" type of saddle.

HCF
Dec. 7, 2011, 04:30 PM
ditto the Thinline Trifecta. Love mine!

Wordplay1832
Dec. 7, 2011, 05:10 PM
Ecogold half pad :) my saddle is a touch wide for my mare but fits me (and I'm a tough fit) really well and this makes up the difference and keeps her finicky back feeling good

Willesdon
Dec. 7, 2011, 06:10 PM
From the other side of the pond, I am a little puzzled why you would waste money having a saddle made that doesn't fit your horse and you think will be unsaleable. Particularly as 16 inches is a pretty average size.

Buying a saddle that fits you and padding up the horse is a curious habit: must be all those cowboys shifting their stock saddles onto the fresh horse in their work string. So save money on pads and saddle and just buy a normal one that fits rider and horse.

KateKat
Dec. 7, 2011, 06:58 PM
Thinline sheepskin ultra comfort all the way! Love mine.

Cruiser12
Dec. 7, 2011, 07:19 PM
I love my The Saddle Fitter Pad (with shims) (http://thinlineglobal.com/store/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=30)

Thinline - I've tried tons of pads and this one works the best. I have Thinline Ultra Thin for my dressage saddle which I love too

Perfect Pony
Dec. 7, 2011, 11:09 PM
ooo...MN is giong to be a rough fit on most horses.

Infact, I don't think I've EVER ridden a horse that goes in anything less than a medium wide!!
that's including TBs and one narrow TK.

FYI I had a Extra Narrow County Innovation, it fit my pony who is a 30/31 Stubben tree (medium to medium wide). It was made for a TB, and I sold it to another person with a TB. With a County Innovation the Medium Narrow fits like a Medium wide in a lot of saddles. I sold it because it no longer fit her, but the Narrow Innovation was too wide.

So the tree size varies a lot by saddle brand.

baxtersmom
Dec. 8, 2011, 09:07 AM
To me, the priority in saddle fitting has to be the horse. I would buy a saddle that fits him and sell it with him. If you are small, I can't imagine that you can't ride in a seat size up (17-17.5") unless your legs are really, really short.

If you really must have a 16" because of flap issues, I would look at something adjustable. My experience with Wintecs is that with a shim pad, they can generally be made inoffensive to a wide variety of horses. Our saddle fitter almost always prefers a decent-fitting Wintec over a jury-rigged leather saddle. My high-withered princess-and-the-pea TB did fine in Wintecs for years (a 500 dressage and a CC); I only changed when he stopped growing and I had the budget.

ltmac
Dec. 8, 2011, 09:38 AM
I've had a Mattes All Purpose Correction half pad (http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-19288&ids=1042387363) for YEARS and it's been great. Highly recommend, worth the price!

vteventer
Dec. 8, 2011, 03:14 PM
Get this one fast, it expires at noon tomorrow...

http://www.tackoftheday.com/extra/default.aspx?c1=email&source=TOTDdaily&kw=20111207

After seeing this thread earlier I quickly bought one of these- hope I like it because there is a no return policy...whoops!

Hey Mickey
Dec. 8, 2011, 11:11 PM
Can someone explain what the difference between the thinline trifecta and the other thinline half pads I've seen??

The saddle is a close fit, just not a perfect fit.
I'm also a hard fit... which is why I've resorted to getting something custom, I'm decently petite, but have longish legs and like to ride short. When I got measured, I was informed what I "need" isn't made in something off the rack. (16 inch, short but really forward flap with a cross country tree)
I'm sick of fighting saddles to find my balance to do my job correctly. Its really hindered my riding, and doesn't help my green beans when they are learning how to jump.
So, that's my thought process.
I'm super excited! I won't have the magic saddle until the end of Januaryish