PDA

View Full Version : Trying my hand at making a video: chronicling the backing of a 3 year old

Lisa Cook
Dec. 7, 2011, 09:08 AM
This past fall, my son learned the process of backing a young horse. The horse is owned by Noel Aderer, who also owns the horse that my son evented this past season. Noel was great about showing my son the steps of starting a young horse, and it was really educational for both my son, and the horse, too, I hope. :)

We worked with the horse once a week for 8 weeks over the course of the fall. I brought my camera along and captured the action along the way. I put together this little recap...it's my first time attempting to assemble a video, and I do not have an artistic/creative bone in my body, so I did my best, given my particular handicap. :)

So, with no further ado...the video. Ta Da!

Starting "Big" Under Saddle (http://vimeo.com/33255485)

sharri13
Dec. 7, 2011, 09:42 AM
A lovely chronicle of the adventure! Also, so nice to see another NHer!

Oberon13
Dec. 7, 2011, 09:48 AM
I love it! I also love the fact that you went from snow back to short sleeves in the process of those weeks...ahhh, weather....

You and Andy will cherish these pictures as Big grows and develops over the years!

wolfmare
Dec. 7, 2011, 10:26 AM
sweet. I loved the content- and thought you did a great job putting it together! Definitely a treasure for your son to have for the rest of his life.
:)

pony grandma
Dec. 7, 2011, 10:46 AM
Ditto ^^^ what a nice memory for your son to have! I did a lot of the same thing for my DD this yr. I did separate albums of her first time xc schooling the young homebred 5 yr old that she's starting, with videos, and albums of each clinic that she attended. The visable progress is amazing. I am so glad that I documented it. Like your son here, you can see the bond and partnership grow. Good on your boy for being so soft and kind. It will stand him well in life with all his relationships - what life lessons horses can teach!

annikak
Dec. 8, 2011, 05:29 PM
Your son is a lovely rider-had to watch the bloopers video!!! :-)))

Dr. Doolittle
Dec. 8, 2011, 07:05 PM
What a wonderful videographic diary, "Big" looks like he has a total puppy dog personality, and your son is doing a lovely job. Great stuff! Good luck to both of them, they have the best possible start, so should excel at becoming a true team :)

IFG
Dec. 8, 2011, 07:15 PM
OMG has he grown. He is a lovely rider, and Big is lovely as well.

Got to say, I LOVED the bloopers!

Dr. Doolittle
Dec. 8, 2011, 07:31 PM
:lol: :lol:

JUST watched the bloopers, wow! Your son has *fantastic* balance, and an incredibly elastic, sympathetic following arm.

He is BORN to be an event rider!

My mare is in foal, due 7/12. What is your son doing in the spring of 2015?? :D

yellowbritches
Dec. 8, 2011, 07:35 PM
I'm a dork. That made me cry. :lol: That was fun to watch. Lovely young horse, and lovely young rider! There is nothing like climbing on the first time on your first baby. How cool that he'll have the adventure chronicled!

pony grandma
Dec. 8, 2011, 07:55 PM
oh my .. the bloopers!! I'd have to say that the horse is as athletic as the boy! Some pretty fancy pretzel knots going on there :lol: So nice to see the horse be allowed to express himself (as long as he is going forward). Not a mean bone in either of them this way. They're enjoying each other and when the rider listens to the horse, the horse learns to listen in turn. They are going to be fun together! And the horse will show great expression and joy in their partnership, that will be lovely in their dressage. I'd love to see the first jumping someday too.

I would gather that the owner of the horse will be nurturing this for quite a long while! What a special person to pass this knowledge on to such a remarkable young man.

Lisa Cook
Dec. 8, 2011, 09:22 PM
Aw, thank you guys! Such kind comments, thank you. And you found the bloopers, you resourceful people, you! :lol: I actually made the bloopers first, but Big's owner didn't want that video posted until a "good" video was made and posted first. Fair enough. :)

And I should add the disclaimer...pony grandma has it exactly right. Big is a really, really good boy, and is not one bit inherently naughty. He did everything asked of him and more, but he did feel comfortable expressing his happiness at times, too. :) Andy never did come off him, or even close to coming off him, thank goodness.

Keg-A-Bacchus
Dec. 9, 2011, 01:00 PM
Oh I just loved it! Beautifully done!!

kristinq
Dec. 9, 2011, 03:02 PM
I loved it! What a fantastic way to chronicle his journey. I watched the bloopers and DAMN! Your son is a great rider!