PDA

View Full Version : Early morning.

riderboy
Dec. 7, 2011, 07:48 AM
Just did the morning "chores" for our horses. It's dark, it's cold. Our barn is about 100 feet up a small hill behind our house. The lights go on, our two boys stand there, blinking their eyes, giving that low murmuring "hurry up!" If I'm a split second too late taking the feed pail away from the tub the pail gets a swift head push away. All very peaceful before the chaos and stress of work. Especially now, with the season over. We do have a great sport, but even without that, we still have some great animals. Ya gotta love it.

Poniesofmydreams
Dec. 7, 2011, 07:59 AM
Couldn't agree more. Sharing the quiet moments of the morning with our horses is a gift. And I never think of it as a "chore".
It going to snow tonight and I can't wait to let them out to play in it .

VCT
Dec. 7, 2011, 08:20 AM
I love that as soon as the back door of my house opens, the donkey brays! heheh... and the horses in the barn nicker when they hear my footsteps getting close to the door :)

gold2012
Dec. 7, 2011, 08:39 AM
I love how as I open the stall door, they are licking thier lips, and chewing.

Brigitte
Dec. 7, 2011, 08:40 AM
Thanks for posting this. That is the best time of day, even if getting out of bed early is tough.

I love the sleepy, "is it really breakfast time already?" look from my cute new little Canter boy.

RiverBendPol
Dec. 7, 2011, 09:11 AM
I love it too. I never feed at the same time so there isn't any banging but the little rumble from way down in the throat is my most favorite sound. That and the spitty munchy sound of hay eating. I'm not sure if I love breakfast best or 'late-night'. I always go in between 9-10 pm to give the 3rd grain and make sure there is enough water and hay. My TB greets me all blinky with shavings all over his face and neck. Big cat stretch, a pee, lots of lip licking, a brief snuggle and yum, I love this stuff. I feel badly just leaving him standing there but I also know he'll be curled up again soon. Aren't we the lucky ones?

Highflyer
Dec. 7, 2011, 09:50 AM
My horse meets me at the gate with his feed tub in his mouth some days--always makes me smile.

Meredith Clark
Dec. 7, 2011, 10:03 AM
omg... I thread that isn't about who's buying who, or who made what list, or who deserves to go to London. I'm so sick of that crap. I had a thread on an actual eventing topic.. conditioning.. and got 1 response.. lets change this board! :yes:

Action42
Dec. 7, 2011, 10:25 AM
I do late night check at my barn. I love opening the doors and turning on the low level lights to see 14 heads poke out of stalls with ears up. Those that get late night dinner start the low nickers and lip smacking. I end it all up with a hug from my 17.2hh pocket pet of a horse. Love it.

gold2012
Dec. 7, 2011, 10:48 AM
In Pittsburg, when we had a barn, my favorite! When we would get there on a frosty morning, and open the walk thru door, 12 heads would all look out, with white plumes coming out of thier noses. Assorted nickers, whinnies, and the like accompanied that. It always smelled so nice. Of hay, and body warmth, and...I admit it, I like it, horse poops. Grin! So four senses were active with such pleasant feelings. Cause I love the bite of cold air, the smells, the sounds, and all those gorgeous heads! Not to mention feeling loved, wanted and needed. Ok, done being sappy....

pony grandma
Dec. 7, 2011, 11:05 AM
It's kind of like the who feeds in their pajamas thread! :winkgrin: and I just did that this morning! Warm robe, fuzzy socks and muck boots.... just in case you missed it!

Love love love having the horses at home and the barn is so close to the house that late one night (TG I had NOT gone to bed yet) I could hear a thump thump since I was sitting in a chair by the LR window. I ran out to find my beautiful young mare very badly cast on a stall wall. We couldn't even flip her she was wedged so tight, had to set a ratchet pulley on the stall door post and pull her front end forward enough to let her right herself. Incredible mare she was calm the minute we touched her and she quietly waited on us to help her, all the time it took to rope her/then run for a pulley. I was beside myself thinking oh dear god don't make me have to watch her hurt herself.

Backyard horses require such responsibility but OMG the way that we 'know' them. It is not like visiting them several times a week. Backyard horsekeeping taught me more about who the horse is. And they know us that way too (proof above). :)

pegasusmom
Dec. 7, 2011, 11:42 AM
It's kind of like the who feeds in their pajamas thread! :winkgrin: and I just did that this morning! Warm robe, fuzzy socks and muck boots.... just in case you missed it!

Do the same every morning! My CDE pony always calls to me, Mr. PM's new guy stands at the fence and mumbles under his breath and the polocrosse mares spin. It's one of the times I feel most wanted!:lol::lol::lol:

Janet
Dec. 7, 2011, 11:54 AM
Must be nice to have horses waiting for you at feeding tme.

Mine make me call, and call and call- sometimes they make me go out with a lead rope to find them.

Even in the pouring rain this morning they took their own sweet time about coming in.

Last night they wouldn't come in at all, and I had to walk all the way out to the far pasture to get them- I slipped and fell in the mud on the way back in.

Of course, once they GET to the barn, they are very appreciative and glad to see their food.

2DogsFarm
Dec. 7, 2011, 11:59 AM
As much as I hate getting up in the pitchblack, struggling into the layers and slogging out the 250' to the barn....
Once I'm there I couldn't be happier :yes:

*Barncats fed FIRST! - check

*Hay tossed to horse & pony - check
My Big guy is impatient - he paws and whinnies under his breath until the hay hits the floor

*Buckets refilled - check
BG is also a haydunker - his bucket is a cesspool that requires daily scrubbing & dumping of "soup"

*Grain fed - check
For some reason the pony stands guard outside BG's stall until his feed hits the pan, then he's all business, chomping & licking until he's made All Gone

*Stalls picked - check

Now I get to settle into a chair or onto a bale of hay and - cat installed on lap - listen to NPR accompanied by munching of hay.
The most peaceful start to my day.

Wash, rinse, repeat when I get home from work and then around 9P a final flake, water refill & cookies (3 each and they count!)

cindywilson
Dec. 7, 2011, 12:29 PM
OK, I'll stop whining. I went down to feed at 8:00...and whined about it. It's 22 freakin' degrees here....on the central coast of California. WTF?! The water was frozen. Doesn't happen here. I was feeling sorry for myself as I bundled up to go out. Until I got there. Had to make the husband wait in his car to make sure the boys didn't kill me as they raced/bucked around my wheelbarrow. Feeling pretty wimpy compared to the rest of you. And it is worth having them at home.

RacetrackReject
Dec. 7, 2011, 12:50 PM
If my guys think I am .2 seconds late, they will be standing at the back fence looking in my kitchen window from across the backyard. If I'm a few seconds early, they will still be in their stalls and I get the surprised OMG woo hoo nickers, possibly some bucking and broncing about in their stalls too for the pure joy of it. Someone much more eloquent than myself once said that horses are joy personified. I think I can agree with that most of the time.
My AM feeding is just as the sun starts to come up and my PM feeding is after it is dark, then I go out around 9pm and restock hay for overnight. I love being in the barn with the horses whether their are wild and expressing themselves outwardly or quietly content to just munch their hay and have their blankets changed.

froglander
Dec. 7, 2011, 12:57 PM
I envy you all having your horses in your backyard! I got to have my horse in my backyard for a few months until I moved and now he is boarded. But it /is/ nice when I go out on the weekends (barn doesn't want us there until 8:30am) and he hears me walk around the corner and nickers :)

I miss misty mornings, and tucking my hands under my old horse's blanket to warm my frozen fingers up.

Someday!

pony grandma
Dec. 7, 2011, 01:02 PM
I miss misty mornings, and tucking my hands under my old horse's blanket to warm my frozen fingers up.

:yes: I 'ALWAYS' do that! And it's a comfort to feel how snug and warm they must feel and appreciate their rugs.

fooler
Dec. 7, 2011, 01:05 PM
I love it too. I never feed at the same time so there isn't any banging but the little rumble from way down in the throat is my most favorite sound. That and the spitty munchy sound of hay eating. I'm not sure if I love breakfast best or 'late-night'. I always go in between 9-10 pm to give the 3rd grain and make sure there is enough water and hay. My TB greets me all blinky with shavings all over his face and neck. Big cat stretch, a pee, lots of lip licking, a brief snuggle and yum, I love this stuff. I feel badly just leaving him standing there but I also know he'll be curled up again soon. Aren't we the lucky ones?

You said it best!

cindylouwho
Dec. 7, 2011, 01:21 PM
My pasture is close to the house, so when I turn on the lights they all line up at the fence to look in the window! "There she is, the lady with the food." They don't know my name and don't care as long as I bring the food!

sandyliz
Dec. 7, 2011, 01:38 PM
Winters are tough, but barns are so cozy. One of my favorite scenes is when, after I feed in the dark a.m., I'm walking back down the drive with the paper and look down on the barn with its lights on. It's best in the snow and when the weather is quiet. It's so peaceful and I think of all the other horse people who are also out starting their days in the barn.

riderboy
Dec. 7, 2011, 02:12 PM
*Barncats fed FIRST! - check

)

Definitely! Our 3 circle their feed tub like sharks circling a bleeding fish, rubbing against my boots until Meow Mix hits the tub.

Dawnd
Dec. 7, 2011, 02:50 PM
My pasture is close to the house, so when I turn on the lights they all line up at the fence to look in the window! "There she is, the lady with the food." They don't know my name and don't care as long as I bring the food!

They DO know your name. It's Girl. Which means, you will never get old and you will always be the best person in the world.

Blugal
Dec. 7, 2011, 03:06 PM
For me, it is "late night" - this time of year, I arrive at the barn after work in the dark, and leave even later in the dark. When the moon is shining over the snow-covered fields, it is pretty cool. My horses are great - one is always waiting by his stall door and looks disappointed if I pass him by to ride the other first. The second comes to his gate when I call him from the barn.

Last night the first horse's owner was out, and he was ground-tied in the barn while I was brushing him. He kept nuzzling her pocket for treats, which she had :) It was nice.

Oberon13
Dec. 7, 2011, 03:17 PM
They DO know your name. It's Girl. Which means, you will never get old and you will always be the best person in the world.

:D
This TOTALLY made my day! Thank you!

monstrpony
Dec. 7, 2011, 03:20 PM
When it gets to be late evening, and I'm just about to put down my book and go do night barns, and the donkey brays--it's a little reprieve, because I don't want to go just after she brays, she might get the idea that she gets fed whenever she brays (;)). So, I read a page or two more, and then go down to the barn.

But I do love the mornings, too. Can never understand how I manage to roll out of bed, get up, bundle up, and go to the barn first thing, but I wouldn't miss it for the world. What a great way to start the day!

Brandy76
Dec. 7, 2011, 03:34 PM

Even though sometimes it's tough to get bundled up for late check, it's my favorite time. No rushing, the boys waiting, the barn kitties sleepy eyed... I love to dawdle then.

Sometimes I will stand there with my hand on his neck, and we look at the stars. On a cold crisp night, only silence and hay munching. I feel so blessed.

Mudroom
Dec. 7, 2011, 03:44 PM
In the barn where I keep my horse there is one mare that we refer to as the Wal-Mart greeter. She has the stall by the door and nickers at everybody as they come in, regardless of the hour.

Toadie's mom
Dec. 7, 2011, 03:55 PM
I love that as soon as the back door of my house opens, the donkey brays! :)
Me too!!!! Neighbors probably aren't too thrilled though, since I feed at 1AM:lol:

Brandy76
Dec. 7, 2011, 04:01 PM
Definitely! Our 3 circle their feed tub like sharks circling a bleeding fish, rubbing against my boots until Meow Mix hits the tub.

Barn cats
There are more of them than there are of me, and frankly, there are one or two whose morals I question. I know sometimes they look at me like "in a pinch, if she's too slow to feed us, we can take her":lol::lol:

IFG
Dec. 7, 2011, 04:58 PM
OK, I'll stop whining. I went down to feed at 8:00...and whined about it. It's 22 freakin' degrees here....on the central coast of California. WTF?! The water was frozen. Doesn't happen here. I was feeling sorry for myself as I bundled up to go out. Until I got there. Had to make the husband wait in his car to make sure the boys didn't kill me as they raced/bucked around my wheelbarrow. Feeling pretty wimpy compared to the rest of you. And it is worth having them at home.

OMG, it was nearly 60 here in MA when I went out to feed at 8 am! My husband and I keep saying that we feel like we are back in CA, guess not, eh?

I am sure we will be cold soon enough. Cannot believe the horse is still in his sheet.

And yes, I love going to feed. Usually he meets me at the gate.

RiverBendPol
Dec. 7, 2011, 04:59 PM
Even though sometimes it's tough to get bundled up for late check, it's my favorite time. No rushing, the boys waiting, the barn kitties sleepy eyed... I love to dawdle then.

Sometimes I will stand there with my hand on his neck, and we look at the stars. On a cold crisp night, only silence and hay munching. I feel so blessed.

O gosh, this made me weepy, Brandy, especially considering our recent convo.:sadsmile:

JP60
Dec. 7, 2011, 05:48 PM
If my guys think I am .2 seconds late, they will be standing at the back fence looking in my kitchen window from across the backyard.
This!

I think the takes turns during the week as to who looks towards the horse. One day its the young buck, other its the wise mature mare, and another its the cute yet wizened pony. All are experts at sending the guilty vibe my way for even considering a cup of coffee before their feed. I so enjoy that game.

Another joy is when I deliver alfalfa with the normal hay. Sterling will at times just leap, snort and run for joy while Mercedes, in her almost mystic way stops at a spot in the pasture and indicates (with a twinkle) "Here boy, drop it here so I am take my fill.". Having them at home has created so much extra work, but it pays in those moments when I can just watch them be themselves. :)

slp2
Dec. 8, 2011, 12:06 AM
Jealous . . . of you folks who have you're own barns! But peeps who board have their special horse times too! I am out there at night (after work). I have 2 horses--one on 24/7 turnout and one that has a stall at night. On work days, I alternate which horse gets ridden each night. Since I still worry (not for good reason) about my older mare being outside 24/7, I always bring her in for some "stall time" to munch hay on nights I ride my other horse. She is such a character. She eats some hay and then when I am grooming my other horse, my oldie will start taking blankets off of the blanket bar on the stall door. One_by_one, until she gets my attention. Or she will make weird faces and throw her head up rolling her eyes around. She has a variety of antics she uses to get some carrots or attention. When I am ready to leave, I take her back outside, in the dark pasture, and give her a huge pile of hay in her shelter and and we spend some time hanging out, looking at the night time sky.