PDA

View Full Version : Moving home to MD, looking for a new home for the Boy

SouthernSon
Dec. 6, 2011, 01:26 PM
Hi All! I am contemplating a move back home to Maryland (Annapolis/Southern AA County) in the coming weeks/months and I find I am very out of the loop. I have been out of the area for 5+ years (first to NoVa, now in NoCO), so I really don't know "reputations" or what rates are for board in the area.
I have a 6yo OTTB gelding who thinks he might like to do some low level eventing (or maybe that is just me) so I thought I would ask the great community here where good places to board and learn might be. I am willing to commute some (preferably in MD, since I know alllll about the commuting btwn MD and NoVa) but I am really looking for someplace which will give me a good bang for my buck and take care of my boy.
I played the "going in blind" game here in Colorado, and I don't want to do that again! I know there is a huge community here on COTH from the area so I figured I would ask the experts. Thanks in advance!

Lori B
Dec. 6, 2011, 01:49 PM
Job 1: find a job.

After you have a job, figure out where you and pony should live, based on minimizing the pain of your commute.

The thing not to do is to pick them separately.

tarheelmd07
Dec. 6, 2011, 02:12 PM
Job 1: find a job.

After you have a job, figure out where you and pony should live, based on minimizing the pain of your commute.

The thing not to do is to pick them separately.

Amen...I live in PG county, work in Baltimore, Jessup, or Westminster...and the pony lives in N. Balitmore county...and I spend too many waking hours sitting in traffic, cursing life!

Meredith Clark
Dec. 6, 2011, 02:43 PM
I used to live in AA county and there are some great barns. Look in the Equiry to find a full list and if you see something you like you can PM me to get the "scoop" ! :lol:

Lori B
Dec. 6, 2011, 02:49 PM
I live in Catonsville.
I work in Laurel.
Pony lives in Glenwood (northern Ho Co.)

On weekdays that I ride, I drive 60 miles. I live in my car. And I have an EASY commute, one which avoids both Beltways. More miles than I would like, but not much gridlock.

If you add any Beltway, any train rides, any bridges over the Potomac (avoid! avoid!), it will be worse.

That is why I say, figure out your job and housing first, and THEN look for a barn. :-)

SouthernSon
Dec. 6, 2011, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the feedback! To give a little more background on the situation... I would be moving home to my Dad's (at least for the foreseeable future) in the Annapolis area. I am all too familiar with traffic, commuting, and where it is just not feasible to drive for most of the day (66, 270, parts of 495 and 295)... I lived in MD for most of my life, then in NoVa for a few years, all the while trying to pay reasonable board and have enough hours in the day to actually ride (ha).
The way I eventually decided is my personal best way to arrange things is to make sure my horse was closer to home than anything else, because if nothing else I want him easily accessible on the weekends. So, I am starting my search in the Annapolis/southern AA County area and trying to go from there. I just want to start doing my research into where is good, where I should be calling for open spots, and where to avoid at all costs so that by the time I am ready to get out there I will hopefully have some options I am confident and comfortable with. I just really don't want to be stuck in a bad situation or have to leave him behind when I move.
So, in short, I am unfortunately familiar with the pitfalls of driving/living in the DC metro area and I am pretty comfortable with trying to make a decision based on my home base in the Annapolis area and going from there. (Yeehaw!)
I had just forgotten how BIG the horse community is in the area and how many boarding facilities there are (even just in the Equiry!) in any given area. Thanks for your feedback! I really appreciate it all!

DevilsAdvocate
Dec. 6, 2011, 07:31 PM
I boarded at Burgess End in Lothian for awhile. Its about a 15 minute commute down rt 2. The owners were both very nice, retired, and do this because they love it. They have beautiful fields also. No indoor (at least not last time I was home). My field board was $400 (this was 2006ish) which was pretty reasonable for the area. You are SUPER close lots of events and event trainers. I rode with Janice Binkley Cole and enjoyed the summer I had with her and always had hoped to make my way back home to ride with her again. If you are interested in her information you can PM me :) Feel free to PM me for any other SOCO specific questions. My parents live in Chesapeake Beach so I'm pretty familiar with the whole area!

Duckz
Dec. 7, 2011, 12:11 PM
I know a couple eventers who board here. I think it's heavy on the hunter/jumpers too. Nice facility. http://www.baywoodfarms.com

impeggysue
Dec. 10, 2011, 02:41 AM
I board right in annapolis at Chesapeake dressage institute.
Top notch place and super friendly. My commute to the barn is 5 minutes. They have a wonderful dressage trainer and a hunter/jumper trainer there. There are some great opportunities to ride and audit with really top notch trainers in Md. Jan Brons, George Williams and Scott Hassler all come to CDI. A bit better farm has Sharon white and Stephen Bradley every month and Waredaca has clinics with Boyd and Jimmy Wofford.

doritocoolerranch24
Dec. 12, 2011, 03:35 PM
In woodbine,MD I board at Tara Equestrian LLC (search on fb for pictures). Nice ring with loads of jumps, stalls, turnout, hay, MILES upon miles of trails. It is a co-op work program but you have the option of paying extra for non co op. really nice place. let me know if you want more info!

Lori B
Dec. 13, 2011, 08:30 AM
Hey, doritocoolerranch24!

SouthernSon
Dec. 13, 2011, 08:20 PM
Thanks again for the advice, Marylanders! Hopefully I will get to take a trip home over Xmas and check some of these gems out!

baylady7
Dec. 14, 2011, 01:51 PM
You need to find where you are working first, since you assumedly will only be at your fathers place on a temp basis. The, chances are you will eventually live somewhere near where you work. So then you should base your horse's location also around where you work. Unless you plan to stay at your fathers for awhile longer, then move him when you move out (if needed)