PDA

View Full Version : Lesson at Potential New Barn

ACTAlter
Nov. 25, 2011, 07:47 PM
Tomorrow, I'm taking a lesson at a barn that I am considering boarding my horse at.

What kinds of things should I look for? What kinds of things should I ask the trainer (who is also the BO)?

Thanks in advance!

STA
Nov. 25, 2011, 07:51 PM
I would arrive early - check the condition of the horses and stalls. Ask to see the feed room. I find people who keep their feed room in order tend to pay attention more to the horses. Look at the turnout. Lastly I would watch other lessons. Good luck - let us know how it goes.

doublesstable
Nov. 25, 2011, 07:53 PM
Look at the other horses; do they look healthy and correct weight?

Look at the stalls; are they clean and bedded well?

Watch the grooms; they will be handing your horses do they treat the horses well?

Watch the other students; are they learning, are they safe in their lesson, are they somewhat decent riders?

Look at the arena footing; is it harrowed regularly and of proper depth?

Look at fencing etc: are stalls safe free from wires etc?

Look at grooming areas; are they well kept and safe?

Look at tack storage and property fencing; is it safe for your horse and your equipment?

Ask - paperwork - they should have a list of rules, requirements and costs.

There are a lot of things I look for but there are things I do and don't like that may or maynot bother you.

Hopefully the lesson you take will tell you a lot and if you feel you are learning and enjoy the time... and listen to your horse. They will tell you a lot too.

When I unloaded my horse last year at the barn I ride at; he acted like he lived there his entire life... he really liked it..... good sign.