PDA

View Full Version : Which name to put on halter nameplate?

Crown Royal
Nov. 25, 2011, 06:13 PM
I'm in the process of ordering a nice leather halter with a nameplate on it for my Thoroughbred. I occassionally show him, but mostly just local stuff and he lives at home. He is not registered with the USEF. He shows under the name "Complexus" (we call him Lexus at home), but his JC registered name is "Set Dance". I'm debating whether to put just "Complexus" on his nameplate, or to put "Set Dance" on the first line, and "Phantom Jet - Dundalk Lass" on the bottom (sire and dam). Which would you do?

ComeAbout
Nov. 25, 2011, 06:25 PM
I am assuming you are buying the leather halter with a nameplate to use for horse shows only. It is not a wise practice to use a nameplate on an everyday halter, as they can easily come undone on one side and swing around and cause a nasty eye injury. So for show purposes his show name Complexus would be appropriate on the nameplate. If you use this same halter to ship in you should put duct tape around the name plate while in transit.

Petstorejunkie
Nov. 25, 2011, 06:27 PM
I'd do his show name, and on the second line put his JC name

AmmyByNature
Nov. 25, 2011, 06:32 PM
I wouldn't put his jockey club name on it if you don't use it as his show name. I put show names on show halters and barn names on everyday halters. I would personally put Lexus on it if you're gonna use it for both. But that's just what I'd do :)

shadowanne
Nov. 25, 2011, 07:11 PM
Show name for halter used at shows. Nice and simple.

AHorseSomeDay
Nov. 25, 2011, 08:37 PM
I have two leather halters with nameplates. I have a halter that I use only for shows and it has my horse's show name and I have an everyday leather halter that has my horse's barn name.

Herbie19
Nov. 25, 2011, 08:57 PM
All mine have their show names on the nameplate and their barn names on a small round bridle tag on the cheek ring.

Wholehearted
Nov. 25, 2011, 09:04 PM
I put my horse's show name on his halter and his barn name on his everyday halter (he doesn't wear his halter while turned out or in his stall, so no chance of random eye injury with the halter). I would personally leave off his JC name and even his sire and dam. The ones I've seen have had the owner's name on the second line, or barn, if anything.

BAC
Nov. 25, 2011, 09:08 PM
I would put his show name on the halter. And I disagree about name plates being a safety issue. :confused: If they are put on correctly they will not easily dislodge, and its easy to see if one is coming loose, if so it should be repaired immediately.

Rel6
Nov. 25, 2011, 09:14 PM
If you use this same halter to ship in you should put duct tape around the name plate while in transit.

Can I ask what the purpose of the duct tape is?

LoveJubal
Nov. 25, 2011, 09:15 PM
I only have my horse's show name on his leather pretty boy halter ;) I think it looks good with just the show name - understated yet classy!

GraceLikeRain
Nov. 25, 2011, 09:21 PM
I am assuming you are buying the leather halter with a nameplate to use for horse shows only. It is not a wise practice to use a nameplate on an everyday halter, as they can easily come undone on one side and swing around and cause a nasty eye injury. So for show purposes his show name Complexus would be appropriate on the nameplate. If you use this same halter to ship in you should put duct tape around the name plate while in transit.

:confused: My mare has a leather halter with a name plate that she has worn every day for 2 years.

I guess it could be a risk if you turned out in a halter but I cannot imagine how it is a risk otherwise?

fourmares
Nov. 25, 2011, 09:38 PM
Mine have their show name in bigger letters on the top line and their barn name in smaller letters on the second line. I've only seen one halter plate come loose in the 38 years I've been around horses and it was easily fixed.

Crown Royal
Nov. 26, 2011, 12:05 AM
Ended up ordering it with just his show name. :) I though about putting his barn name under the show name, but I thought it would look silly since half of his show name IS his barn name lol. I'm very excited for it!

As an enabler for anyone that should need a new halter with nameplate, I chose this one:

*Enable* (http://www.tackshackocala.com/3042.html)

CrimsonInClover
Nov. 26, 2011, 10:59 AM
Ended up ordering it with just his show name. :) I though about putting his barn name under the show name, but I thought it would look silly since half of his show name IS his barn name lol. I'm very excited for it!

As an enabler for anyone that should need a new halter with nameplate, I chose this one:

*Enable* (http://www.tackshackocala.com/3042.html)

Great choice! I love mine!
http://pic100.picturetrail.com/VOL756/3669039/23902492/399737643.jpg

Mukluk
Nov. 26, 2011, 11:42 AM
Very Nice. Would love to see a picture of your lovely horse and his new halter when it arrives!!!

hequestrian
Nov. 26, 2011, 03:56 PM
Great choice! Look forward to pics of your guy in his new accessory ;)

cadance
Nov. 26, 2011, 04:19 PM
It is not a wise practice to use a nameplate on an everyday halter, as they can easily come undone on one side and swing around and cause a nasty eye injury. If you use this same halter to ship in you should put duct tape around the name plate while in transit.

umm no, not if the nameplate is put on properly. my horse is at a vet barn, and i've heard the most bizarre stories from my trainer (her husband is the vet), and none of them have ever involved a nameplate injury (especially considering most of the horses at our barn have nameplate halters), even when the nameplate on my halter came off on one side (no, not near her eye, and it was due to the idiot at the tack store who put it on in the wrong place :mad:).

plus, why would you ruin the name plate with duct tape? taking the tape off would leave so much nasty residue on the metal and leather...duct tape is meant to stay on things permanently.

Piadosa
Nov. 27, 2011, 11:59 AM
My mare's leather halter has her barn name on it. Only because I hadn't given her a show name yet when I got the name plate made :winkgrin: In the future when she starts doing bigger shows I might get a fancier one with her show name on it.

I have seen name plates come loose on several occasions. Never one of mine, but I have seen it happen. One of the screws pops loose, and the plate is left to swing around the remaining screw. The edges of the name plate can be sharp, and if it's large enough, it can come in contact with an eye.

My mare wears her name plate halter for everyday grooming and handling. I would never turn her out in it, or keep it on while she's in a stall unattended. I don't want my nice halter wrecked, and I don't want the name plate to come loose.

DMK
Nov. 27, 2011, 12:47 PM
It is not a wise practice to use a nameplate on an everyday halter, as they can easily come undone on one side and swing around and cause a nasty eye injury. So for show purposes his show name

I heard that 1 out of 4 TBs never makes it to the track due to nameplate halter eye injury!

*snort*

I have not seen evidence of nameplate failure in riveted nameplates, but sometimes the ones put on with chicago screws come loose.... although I have never seen an injury caused by that... But hey, with horses anything is possible, so I put this advisory in the ZOMG! you better wrap him up in bubble wrap too!category. If all those haltered and nameplated TBs have survived, barring freak accident, the rest of us are probably OK as well.

cadance
Nov. 27, 2011, 01:04 PM
I heard that 1 out of 4 TBs never makes it to the track due to nameplate halter eye injury!

bahahahah!

Crown Royal
Nov. 28, 2011, 04:55 PM
I will definitely post photos once my pretty new halter arrives! I am quite excited!

johnnysauntie
Nov. 28, 2011, 04:58 PM
FWIW I was able to have my cake and eat it too - my OTTB's show halter reads like this:

Holy Vows (Derby)
Holy Bull - Final Vows

Holy Vows is his JC name, Derby is his barn name, the second line are the sire & dam.

ComeAbout
Nov. 29, 2011, 03:40 PM
You all can laugh and snort all ya like. I've seen an eye injury caused by one of the rivets coming undone and the nameplate swinging around and slicing the eye open. Horses do all kinds injury to themselves that would appear impossible. Someone asked me about the duct tape. Same reason. You haven't seen a horse flip out in a trailer? Horses can't read and chances are the person leading your horse in and out everyday knows it's name. You've never seen a horse cast in a stall all night swinging and banging his head on the ground? M'kay - lucky for you....

I didn't say never put a nameplate on a halter, but their place is not on the trailer or on the turnout halter that other horses are grabbing at and pulling on.
Pretty is as pretty does...

hequestrian
Nov. 29, 2011, 05:10 PM
None of the horses at any of the barns that I have ever boarded at have ever been turned out with halters. Some may say- what if they get out? But IMO we are more worried about what if it catches on something... I know that they supposedly "break away" but its not worth the risk.

There may be some merit to the trailering bit but I have never seen that accident happen. Provided you aren't turning your horse out in it I don't see it being a huge issue. And if you are worried about your horse on the trailer maybe buy the covers you can put on the halter like This (http://www.amazon.com/9-Piece-Sheepskin-Halter-Set/dp/B0019II3BK) and I know they sell them in fleece and other cheaper options. That would surely be a better choice than duct tape in terms of keeping the plate nice- and it wouldn't look as goofy as the duct tape. But thats just my .02.

lizathenag
Nov. 29, 2011, 05:13 PM
My horse (who is turned out in a halter every day)(not my first choice but one should pick their battle) used to have a halter plate on his halter.

One day I came to get him and it was sticking out at a right angle from his face.

Needless to say, I took it off. I turn him out in a clean cheap leather halter and the barn owner is happy and so am I.

He doesn't wear his halter in the stall.

Big_Grey_hunter
Nov. 29, 2011, 07:41 PM
I agree with comeabout. I don't mind using a halter w/ nameplate for everyday use, but NOT for turnout. Too much risk of the plate coming loose and injuring the horse or pasture mate in a game of halter tag.

danceronice
Nov. 29, 2011, 07:54 PM
Lucky's halter nameplate says "Lucky To Cope" and then "Lucky Lionel" and "Copenqueen." My old OTTB had a halter plate that just had "Bold McKinnon" without sire/dam.

I would worry far less about the freak chance of a riveted name plate coming off than checking ANY leather halter's throatlatch--the rounded ones most have? Two I've had so far (ordered from two different places) have wire in them to make them hold their shape or something. One, the BO and her husband came to put them away and when they went to take it off him, they found the wire sticking out the end. The other I found starting to poke through. In both cases BO's husband pulled the wire out completely with pliers. Hasn't hurt the halter function and I have no idea why they felt it necessary in the first place. But from now on I'm checking new halters carefully (I only use all-leather, except for one emergency backup nylon halter I keep around just in case because that's what I had.)

Elmstead
Nov. 29, 2011, 08:05 PM
Quillin makes a beautiful halter and their plates aren't going to budge! All of our horses wear one with their barn name on it.

But I agree that you shouldn't turn-out horses with halters (with or without plates). It's amazing what they can find to get their halters caught on. Like a tree branch...on a tree that isn't even IN the paddock. really?

Zu Zu
Nov. 29, 2011, 08:20 PM
Show name for halter used at shows. Nice and simple.

This ``` IMHO

red mares
Nov. 30, 2011, 08:37 AM
I've had one wearing a halter, with a name plate, 24/7 except when working, for the last 4-5 years without incident. Every horse in the field except the sucklings have a halter on all the time. I've never seen one with a halter caught on anything, and this is a barn where one of the colts ended up in the watering trough.

If you're looking for a crisis, one will happen. Some people look harder than others.

DMK
Nov. 30, 2011, 09:35 AM
You all can laugh and snort all ya like. I've seen an eye injury caused by one of the rivets coming undone and the nameplate swinging around and slicing the eye open. Horses do all kinds injury to themselves that would appear impossible.

I absolutely believe you, see my signature in case you don't believe I know how hard horses try to kill and maim themselves. And every last one of us is guilty of not doing something with our horses (that 90% of the responsible horse owning population does regularly) because we have been burned by it thanks to these creatures hell bent on extinction.

But if we were to all list the many, many, MANY ways we have seen horses try to maim/kill themselves, a random stranger would read the list and could reasonably come to the conclusion that:

a) we are insane
b) the only way to safely keep a horse would be to wrap them in bubble wrap and put them in a padded room, until
c) they ate the bubble wrap and coliced and
d) developed a high suspensory from being walked (for the colic) in the padded room, but of course
e) they spooked at the ultrasound and jerked back, whereupon the nameplate on the halter came loose, and
f) caused an eye injury...

At some point you have to accept your foibles relating to horse care and know in your heart this shit is just bound to happen.