PDA

View Full Version : Winter Blanket....

dmgreulich
Nov. 25, 2011, 12:33 PM
Looking for quality heavy weight winter blanket. Really like the look of Baker but their winter blankets don't fit my warmbloods in the shoulder area very well. Don't want obnoxious looking blanket. Looking for quality & classy. Any ideas? Help!

dmgreulich
Nov. 25, 2011, 12:48 PM
OK...this is my first post. Heard how great this forum is and wanted to check it out. Need to order some winter blankets for Dutch warmbloods - winters in Wisconsin get a bit nippy. Could use some feedback on what others use.

huntereq1991
Nov. 25, 2011, 01:25 PM
Most people on this board will recommend Rambo if you can handle the cost. They are excellent quality and will last forever. Others might also recommend these- Dover Northwind, Weatherbeeta, Bit of Britian, and Smartpak. I have had experience with Weatherbeeta, Rhino, and Baker and was very pleased with all of them. Stay away from anything that is 600 denier; it won't last very long.

osgoka01
Nov. 25, 2011, 01:53 PM
I owned a giant shouldered Holstein gelding and we got this one for him (from Dover) :
http://www.doversaddlery.com/product.asp?pn=X1-24415A&ids=928320016

Because it wears up the neck a bit, it really left his shoulders untouched AND didn't break the bank. He would play pretty hard in it and it held up quite well.

EAY
Nov. 25, 2011, 02:33 PM
Most people on this board will recommend Rambo if you can handle the cost. They are excellent quality and will last forever.

I'll second this. Plus they have a roomy fit that's good for big-shouldered horses.

Lucassb
Nov. 25, 2011, 03:37 PM
I do like my Rambo blankets but they are $$$ for sure.

I have found that the Schneider's blankets (www.sstack.com) fit my big shouldered WB really well - particularly the ones that have the adjustment option at the shoulders - and they have held up beautifully. Cannot beat the value at any price, much less the cost they charge.

You can see the fit adjustment features here: http://www.sstack.com/horse-blankets-and-sheets_stable-blankets/adjusta-fit-tekno-fleece-fitted-v-free-midweight-bellyband-blanket/

BTW- the "Tekno Fleece" blankets are not actually fleece... but they fit and wear great. They are pretty much the only blankets I've gotten that do not put a rub on Mr. Sensitive.

winter
Nov. 25, 2011, 05:00 PM
Never thought I would say it, but I have a Pessoa blanket of all things that fits great and has held up for 5! winters on a horse. That's pretty good value when you consider is was less than half of a Rambo.

Sunnyhorse
Nov. 25, 2011, 05:38 PM
My guys have always worn Rambos, but a couple of years back I upgraded to the Rambo Supreme for my always-cold pony, and he stayed comfy in it through the last two (brutally cold) winters here in St. Louis -- never once needed a liner, even on the coldest of days. I bought another one for my wide-chested, round-shouldered TB last winter, and it has worked great as well. Well worth the expense.

STA
Nov. 25, 2011, 05:43 PM
Go to a local consignment shop and try a couple of blankets for size. You can find the makes fitting your horse best and at a reduced price.

akhunterrider
Nov. 25, 2011, 11:15 PM
I'm a big fan of the Pessoa blankets. I have had good luck with Weatherbeeta and Rambo also.

Rivermeer
Nov. 26, 2011, 08:33 AM
I'm curious to know more about the Eous brand. I'm thinking of buying a heavy weight for my boy. Any experiences?

Heather

alto
Nov. 26, 2011, 11:06 AM
Do your research on the particular blanket model - some receive great reviews :yes: & some are astounding FAILS; there were some on fantastic clearance last year that I decided to give a miss on due to fit & rip issues.
Buy from shops that will stand behind the products they sell - some reviewers were unable to get refunds/replacements (I suspect these shops had bought in seconds at huge savings in which case the manufacturing company seldom offers a warranty), others were very happy with the customer service.

Rivermeer
Nov. 27, 2011, 04:48 PM
Did anyone see the Weatherbeeta blanket, black with gold trim? My horse is a pumpkin and online and catalogs it looks really yellow and not gold. Any thoughts? It's so hard to color coordinate with a pumpkin!

Heather

Simbalism
Nov. 28, 2011, 12:36 AM
I have had good luck with the Dover Rider's brand blankets and Schneider's Euro fit for my TB. My friend has a Fresian cross and she has used the Schenider's brand for her full figured girl with good luck. (neither of the above choices will break the bank)

foursocks
Nov. 28, 2011, 11:02 AM
I have used both Rider's International Northwind and Schneiders in the past, but I'm a Rambo convert now. Both RI and Schneiders have a hit-or-miss issue with the liners shredding lately. One RI medium weight blanket I got a few months ago is totally fine and fits both my TB and my DWB great, but two other sheets had the lining shred in only a handful of wearings.

Schneiders are less generous in their return/repair policies than they used to be, but I will say that Dover 100% stands behind their RI stuff- I got one sheet replaced and the other returned for a refund, no fuss whatsoever. I have loved the fit and value of both brands but I'm sick of the stupid linings being immediately wrecked.

So, I did the $50 off Rambo deal, got two Original with Leg Arches sheets and two of the Duo 200g liners and I now have a sheet and a medium weight blanket for both horses. I am going to get the 300g liners for the colder weather coming up. The liners do not shift, attach easily to the sheets, and the sheets fit both boys really well.

MoonRiver5
Nov. 28, 2011, 01:24 PM
I have a couple of Smartpak blankets that I love, they have stood up really well so far and fit my big WB very well. I love the shoulder gusset placement on them. My horse can slip out of anything that doesn't have hind leg straps so the Rambo blankets aren't an option for us ;)

harkington
Nov. 29, 2011, 11:36 AM
Rambos are lovely but on the pricey side. When my horse's current blanket retires (I think it has one more winter in it), that is I'll be buying.

In the meantime, my guy (a TB, but fairly substantial) wears a Bucas. I've been happy with it so far; this will be his third winter in it and it looks almost brand new. I also bought an Amigo stable sheet for layering. This would probably be good for the bigger-shouldered types as it is a bit too loose through his shoulders (although he is a substantial TB, he is no WB) but otherwise fits great. The Amigo was reasonably priced and really pretty, I'd definitely recommend it.

Hinderella
Nov. 29, 2011, 11:55 AM
I've got two of the Bit of Britain blankets, and I've found them to be excellent quality. I have a pony (no warmblood at all!) but my friend has a very sturdy TB mare who's often mistaken for a warmblood, and she's also used the Bit of Britain blankets and liked them. They are 1680 denier (like!), with clips instead of buckles in the front, good quality material and trim.