PDA

View Full Version : SCAD- equestrian team

pwderblu17
Nov. 23, 2011, 08:57 PM
I have been looking at SCAD- Savannah College of Art and Design. Wondering if anyone knows anything about the equestrian program and/or the team?

mroades
Nov. 23, 2011, 09:15 PM
It is quite fabulous! They have an amazing team, barn, horses, director...only downside is I don't think its inexpensive.

Dewey
Nov. 23, 2011, 09:54 PM
I have been looking at SCAD- Savannah College of Art and Design. Wondering if anyone knows anything about the equestrian program and/or the team?

The facility is gorgeous.

dp1092
Nov. 23, 2011, 10:45 PM
Cannot say enough nice things about their facility. Absolutely beautiful. Here's a link to their facility and directions :)

http://www.scadathletics.com/sports/2007/9/12/eqcenter.aspx?path=equestrian

sprinterz
Nov. 23, 2011, 10:50 PM
Agree with what everyone else has said. SCAD has won ANRC for the last several years in a row, with great riders and horses. They also hosted last year, and the facility was gorgeous! :)

DNB
Nov. 23, 2011, 11:59 PM
I just transferred from SCAD and was an equestrian studies major. Great facility and looks awesome on paper, but I was not happy (along with some others) with a lot of things once I got there and got involved with the team. I'll PM you details. Anyone else can feel free to PM me as well if they would like specifics...

horsegal301
Nov. 24, 2011, 10:42 AM
I just transferred from SCAD and was an equestrian studies major. Great facility and looks awesome on paper, but I was not happy (along with some others) with a lot of things once I got there and got involved with the team. I'll PM you details. Anyone else can feel free to PM me as well if they would like specifics...

Interesting... you went to a design school to be an equestrian studies major? OP, if you're going to SCAD, you're going to SCAD for its programs and the prestige of going to a well known art and design school, not for their equestrian team.... I would say that would be just a perk if it's a beautiful place with nice horses and coaches.

I made the mistake of getting too much into the riding team when I was in school... and then I realize it was just that... a riding team. It was nice to be on it, but it took a professor who cared to tell me that I had to realize why I went to that school. ;P

Just make sure you weigh what options and see what is more important to you, then make the choice. Even if the team isn't great, don't do it if you're going to SCAD for the art/design thing. After all, it's only 4 years (or a bit more)

DNB
Nov. 24, 2011, 10:53 AM
Interesting... you went to a design school to be an equestrian studies major? OP, if you're going to SCAD, you're going to SCAD for its programs and the prestige of going to a well known art and design school, not for their equestrian team.... I would say that would be just a perk if it's a beautiful place with nice horses and coaches.

I made the mistake of getting too much into the riding team when I was in school... and then I realize it was just that... a riding team. It was nice to be on it, but it took a professor who cared to tell me that I had to realize why I went to that school. ;P

Just make sure you weigh what options and see what is more important to you, then make the choice. Even if the team isn't great, don't do it if you're going to SCAD for the art/design thing. After all, it's only 4 years (or a bit more)

Yes, SCAD has an equestrian studies major and I was planning on also doing photography, so I actually did go there for the "art and design thing" as well. A lot of people on the team aren't equestrian studies majors either.

Jewels09
Nov. 24, 2011, 11:30 AM

I think most people do go to SCAD for the riding. I've known quite a few people who went to SCAD and they all went for the riding. I'm certainly not saying that is the right thing to do.

I went to a college because of the riding program. I was miserable there and left after 1 year. I wish I would have picked a regular college and ridden in the side

dp1092
Nov. 24, 2011, 03:44 PM
I think most people do go to SCAD for the riding. I've known quite a few people who went to SCAD and they all went for the riding. I'm certainly not saying that is the right thing to do.

I went to a college because of the riding program. I was miserable there and left after 1 year. I wish I would have picked a regular college and ridden in the side

I made that mistake as well and left after one year, I didn't pick the college because of the programing I was majoring in, I picked it because of the team. Bad decision on my part :yes:

KarrotKreek
Nov. 24, 2011, 10:56 PM
I've had friends that went to SCAD and it has a wonderful art/design program. They were very happy with the equestrian program as well. They offer good scholarships based on talent, academics,etc that help offset the cost.

dani0303
Nov. 24, 2011, 11:07 PM
The people I knew who went to SCAD went for their art program, but I did happen to grow up just over the river from Savannah.

That said, their riding program is wonderful and their facilities are top notch (besides being built practically in the marshy/swamp). As a matter of fact, my childhood neighbor does all of the landscaping for their facility, which now also has a soccer field (and maybe a track?).

ponymom64
Nov. 25, 2011, 08:59 AM
I think for anyone looking at colleges - it's more important to find a school that has the right feel than to select a college based on the riding team only.

ohandthesmokes
Nov. 25, 2011, 12:02 PM
I actually attend SCAD right now, and I'm a member of the equestrian team, as well as a double major in photography and equestrian studies. I can't say enough good things about the team, and the program itself. We have a fabulous coach, awesome professors, and we're very lucky to have our facility and horses. I chose the school because it had EVERYTHING I was looking for... not just a great team, or a great photo program, or the eq studies, it was everything! Our team is great, and Ashley really does know her stuff, my equitation has never been better! I'd go into more but, really, if you have any questions feel free to PM me!

But please, make sure you go to this school not JUST for the team. :)

equinemom93
Nov. 26, 2011, 02:41 PM
pwderblu17, my daughter attends SCAD and is on the team. She just finished her first quarter, and we are very pleased with the school all around. Her classes have about 15-20 students and the professors are very good. She got a lot of one on one attention. She is very happy with the school overall and says she can't imagine going anywhere else.

She is on the equestrian team and gets a lot of time in the saddle. The team is doing very well so far this year. They are sitting in first place in their region with a sizable lead over the 2nd place team - there are still 4 shows left before the Regional show. Her teammates are wonderful. I have had the pleasure of meeting many of them while attending the shows. The returning team members have been very welcoming to the freshman joining the team, and they have a lot of team spirit. I was happy to see everyone cheering each other on instead of the nastiness or jealousy you sometimes experience in the horse world. They try to get together and do fun things as a team as well. The facility is gorgeous - you really must go visit if you are interested in the school. I recommend going for one of the SCAD days - they are very well organized and you will learn a lot about the school.

Another thing about the equestrian team at SCAD that is different from most other teams is they pay for everything. They will also outfit you with show clothes if needed - you just need to bring a helmet and boots. You don't need to bring any of your grooming supplies either. You are welcome to bring your saddle, but it is not necessary.

I really do recommend you visit as many schools as possible. You really do get a feel if the school is a good fit or not by going to the school and taking a tour. It's important to find a school that fits you. Good luck in your search and don't hesitate to ask specific questions.