PDA

View Full Version : Breastplates in hunters?

Brigit
Nov. 23, 2011, 03:09 PM
A slightly blonde moment on my part but.... I know standing martingales are allowed, and running martingales are not.... But are breastplates with a standing attachment allowed in the hunter ring?

AmmyByNature
Nov. 23, 2011, 03:18 PM
Allowed but not common. If you used one at a rated show in the hunters (or eq) you would be the only one wearing it :)

The usual answer to the question is: make sure your saddle fits your horse so it won't sip back.

You'll see a lot of black no slip chunks under saddles, though, to help with a little slippage.

Angelico
Nov. 23, 2011, 03:25 PM
I'm pretty sure breastplates in general are not allowed in the hunters. I heard someone saying that this summer and I saw a girl get DQed becuase her horse was wearing one. I agree with A by N, make sure your saddle fits :)

OveroHunter
Nov. 23, 2011, 03:32 PM
I thought they were allowed, but very out of fashion.

fourmares
Nov. 23, 2011, 03:35 PM
Allowed, but out of fashion. That said the judge will not care, and any judge that would DQ someone for wearing one should not be judging. Make sure you use the hunter type and not one of those elastic neck band things that show up in the jumpers.

Brigit
Nov. 23, 2011, 03:39 PM
Allowed but not common. If you used one at a rated show in the hunters (or eq) you would be the only one wearing it :)

The usual answer to the question is: make sure your saddle fits your horse so it won't sip back.

You'll see a lot of black no slip chunks under saddles, though, to help with a little slippage.

Gotcha! Thanks! Actually the reason I ask is that I'm planning on going to a hunter show in a few weeks and I plan on riding sidesaddle in a few smaller divisions. I've been told that a breastplate is a must when jumping sidesaddle but I thought I'd better make sure it's legal (the breastplate use that is). So either way, breastplate or not, I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb as I'll be the only sidesaddle rider there! lol

salymandar
Nov. 23, 2011, 03:40 PM
Unless there is rule I am not familiar with, you should not be DQ'd for one in hunters or eq. Although they used to be quite common in the eq. ring, they are no longer fashionable in either ring.

Aside from a properly fitting saddle, there are many options for keeping a saddle in place for the few minutes you are in the ring for a hunter trip or flat class.

Forgive my ignorance - I would have thought a breastplate would be required for sidesaddle for practical reasons?

Kristy-nnn
Nov. 23, 2011, 03:40 PM
I showed in one a few years ago with no problem. I would assume as long as it was an entirely leather breastplate it would be fine, but elastic breastplates are not allowed. Here is a pic with my horse in a breastplate + standing attachment
http://i114.photobucket.com/albums/n269/Roo-B-Tuesday/Hazel/Over%20Fences/00920004.jpg
from far away you can barely even tell it's a breastplate. I never had any problems and it never affected my placings.

BTW running martingales were made legal in hunters the last year or two (at least in Canada).. they just aren't very common still. I know because one of the ladies I ride with is obsessed with viewing all the updated rules in the rulebook, and the second they were allowed she slapped one on her horse..

Angelico
Nov. 23, 2011, 03:41 PM
Gotcha! Thanks! Actually the reason I ask is that I'm planning on going to a hunter show in a few weeks and I plan on riding sidesaddle in a few smaller divisions. I've been told that a breastplate is a must when jumping sidesaddle but I thought I'd better make sure it's legal (the breastplate use that is). So either way, breastplate or not, I'm going to stick out like a sore thumb as I'll be the only sidesaddle rider there! lol

Sidesaddle! Oh now that clears things up a bit. You are a brave one. In the USEF rules it says a breastplate is preferred in sidesaddle classes. So I'd assume it's all good.

sadlmakr
Nov. 23, 2011, 03:53 PM
Yes a breastplate is allowed in Sidesaddle. In jumping aside, the saddle may slip back if you do not have one.
Check the rules about sidesaddle. I think the standing Martingale is not acceptable in Sidesaddle classes.
Years ago the breastplate for Ladies was a bit finer than the standard Hunter breastplate.
Fashions come and go but in this case it is acceptable for the very reason the saddle may slip back in jumping.
As with everything pertaining to the show ring double check your rulebooks.
Let us know how you do in your class, Brigit.
Kindest regards,
sadlmakr

ideayoda
Nov. 23, 2011, 03:56 PM
It shows how far we have come from having real hunters that is it not longer used.

Brigit
Nov. 23, 2011, 04:04 PM
Aside from a properly fitting saddle, there are many options for keeping a saddle in place for the few minutes you are in the ring for a hunter trip or flat class.

Forgive my ignorance - I would have thought a breastplate would be required for sidesaddle for practical reasons?

Actually my saddle fits quite well thank you but yes, you are correct, I've been told that a breastplate should always be used when jumping sidesaddle to make sure that it doesn't go anywhere. Usually your girth is done up very tight (girth's with no elastic I might add) so the saddles don't move much but it's there just in case.

BTW running martingales were made legal in hunters the last year or two (at least in Canada).. they just aren't very common still. I know because one of the ladies I ride with is obsessed with viewing all the updated rules in the rulebook, and the second they were allowed she slapped one on her horse..

Well I learned something today! I didn't realize they had been made allowed (probably because, as you said, you still don't see many people showing in one).

Yes a breastplate is allowed in Sidesaddle. In jumping aside, the saddle may slip back if you do not have one.
Check the rules about sidesaddle. I think the standing Martingale is not acceptable in Sidesaddle classes.
Years ago the breastplate for Ladies was a bit finer than the standard Hunter breastplate.
Fashions come and go but in this case it is acceptable for the very reason the saddle may slip back in jumping.
As with everything pertaining to the show ring double check your rulebooks.
Let us know how you do in your class, Brigit.
Kindest regards,
sadlmakr

Thanks Saddlemakr! I will definitely let you know how it goes. This isn't a sidesaddle specific class, we really don't have any of those around this area. It's just a regular hunter over fences class. So I'm going with the regular hunter rules combined with the few rules they have that pertain to sidesaddles. Most of the rules are very generic and aren't for specific classes per say.

AmmyByNature
Nov. 23, 2011, 04:27 PM
I believe -- but am too lazy to go check -- that breastplates may even be required in sidesaddle appointments classes?

Anyway, to use a breastplate while riding aside wouldn't be nearly as weird as using one while riding astride.

I think most people will be busy watching how cool it is that you're jumping aside!

BAC
Nov. 23, 2011, 04:44 PM
It shows how far we have come from having real hunters that is it not longer used.

Exactly. Or even worse, how many people think they are not allowed or as one person said "weird." Nothing weird about them and perfectly acceptable in the hunters, they are just not "fashionable" today.

Eventers wear them all the time, same as many foxhunters do, not because their saddles don't fit correctly, but to give them some extra help when galloping wildly across country jumping whatever gets in their way. At those times its nice to have that little bit of extra security. Of course, crawling around in a ring like today's hunters, not much need for them.

DoubleTwistedWire
Nov. 23, 2011, 04:58 PM
For ladies sidesaddle attire, the USEF rule book says:

HU130 Ladies Side Saddle Tack and Equipment
3. Breastplate: Optional, but preferred.
4. Martingales: Not permitted on the flat or in Hunter Hack, permitted in over fences
classes.

No mention at all of breastplates under HU125 (Tack). It does say:

3. Martingales of any type are prohibited in Under Saddle, hack and tie-breaking classes.
Standing martingales are allowed for all over fence classes. All other martingales may be
considered unconventional.

I know someone who's shown at A shows with one, and her placings have not been negatively affected. You might get some funny looks at the gate, but you'll get them anyway if you're sidesaddle :)

enjoytheride
Nov. 23, 2011, 05:00 PM
Hmm, well I also know plenty of eventers who wear a breastplate because it's standard equipment if they need one or not. It looks cool.

I don't think you should need a breastplate to jump a round of hunters. No reason to wax on about how hunters aint like it used to be.

Chaotic Chloe
Nov. 23, 2011, 05:46 PM
Hmm, well I also know plenty of eventers who wear a breastplate because it's standard equipment if they need one or not. It looks cool.

I don't think you should need a breastplate to jump a round of hunters. No reason to wax on about how hunters aint like it used to be.

I use a breastplate in the hunters and have for years. My saddle slips back on my horse and the breastplate holds it in place.:D

juststartingout
Nov. 23, 2011, 08:49 PM
Used a breastplate in hunters for years - until our fellow retired - he needed it to stabilize the saddle (and numerous consultations with various saddle fitters recommended it).

As far as I can tell there was absolutely no impact on placement - when his round was the best he won and when it wasn't he still did quite well

If the breastplate helps and the horse is more comfortable with it - then use it and don't worry

fourmares
Nov. 24, 2011, 01:43 AM
I don't think a running martingale is against the rules in hunters. It just isn't done... but I could be wrong.

refresh
Nov. 24, 2011, 12:19 PM
The winner of this year's West Coast Jr Hunter Finals wore a breastplate, Fabricio and Morgan Geller.
http://theequestriannews.com/2011/08/20/geller-rides-fabrico-to-west-coast-hunter-champ/hunterchamp_morgangeller_fabricio/

LittleGray
Nov. 24, 2011, 01:40 PM
When I had my horse, I rode her in a breastplate. Loved the way it looked.

PrimoAmor
Nov. 24, 2011, 03:21 PM
I ride with a breastplate but am not currently showing. My BO is very old fashioned and is a fox hunter. She also rides a very rolypoly half Arab. I fell in love with her breastplate and invested in one. When I worked for a hunter trainer she always teased me about it but never told me I couldn't use it or that I had to buy a standing martingale. I have never shown in it though.

I use it now on my OTTB because I do worry about the saddle slipping although it never has and it makes a fantastic " OH $***" strap!!

HGem
Nov. 24, 2011, 06:05 PM
I ride my mare in one just because I love the way it looks! I really don't care if other people think it's "old fashion", I've never had a problem placing in local shows and even some bigger stuff. I think part of why I like the look is because of her light coloring:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v34/HorseWhisperer/Molly%202011/molly6.jpg (ignore my incredibly awful eq. thanks, lol)

I do love the benefit of keeping the neck strap up when my Percheron cross dives for the nearest grass patch....

dani0303
Nov. 24, 2011, 08:32 PM
Breastplates and VERY traditional but out of style right now. It would be perfectly acceptable to wear one as long as it is leather, properly adjusted, and matches your tack. No elastic or 5 point breastplates.

ET's Home
Nov. 25, 2011, 09:32 PM
See the photo in my profile of my mare with one, I think she looks very classy with it. I fox hunted and it was standard equipment back then. Bought it when she was younger and needed a standing martingale. She goes without the attachment now. I agree that it does seem to stabilize the saddle more, especially over fences. Have shown at HITS, Shallowbrook, Northampton A's in the 2'6" adult hunters and been placed well. No one has ever commented on it.

And it is a nice grab bar:winkgrin:

ET