PDA

View Full Version : Fake tail questions....

Nickelodian
Nov. 23, 2011, 10:40 AM
I am considering getting my horse a fake tail. He actually has a very long and fairly thick tail, but tends to want to carry it high. Are weighted tails ever used in the hunters? Would that even work o/f? I've never really worked with fake tails before.

AmmyByNature
Nov. 23, 2011, 02:05 PM
"Weighted tails" aren't used per se in the hunters, but one of the known side effects of a fake tail is that it can help quiet an active tail.

For normal use, if your horse has an active tail it might be suggested to go with a nice big tail to weigh it down a little.

If he already has a long think tail he might looks funny with a lot of extra volume.

I'm not familiar with "weighted tails" as opposed to just tails that weigh something :) How/where are they weighted?

Depending on how they are made, I might worry about the downward force of a heavy weight upon landing after a jump, but I don't really even know the amount of weight in question here...

drawstraws
Nov. 23, 2011, 03:12 PM
It depends on how the tail is made but the weights are usually just a little lump of metal that is attached to the top of the fake tail. I've seen them shaped like nuts so you can just add them on to a "screw" that's built into the tail. That way you can make them heavier or lighter depending on how many weights you add. A different tail I've seen has them as rectangular shaped flat pieces that are built into the top - that tail had a flatter top instead of round, but it was always just the one weight, it wasn't changeable.

I show the app circuit so I've unfortunately started using a fake tail for my gelding a few years ago. This is the first year I've used any weights (beyond what the actual tail itself weighs). It definitely helped him carry it a bit flatter, not that he carries his terribly to begin with, but I just don't think I'd personally feel comfortable using a weighted one over fences. It's just an awful lot of force pulling down on their tail hair. His normal fake tail was two pounds by itself and I was planning on getting him a smaller one pound just to use in the jumping classes for that very reason.

tamarak_equestrian
Nov. 24, 2011, 09:17 PM
I've never used a weighted one, but we have a large pony hunter who's half arab and tends to carry his tail a bit high over fences, and we found that just the normal fake tail was enough to bring it down a bit.

pryme_thyme
Nov. 25, 2011, 10:57 AM
I thought fake tails were illegal in the A's.... But that is only what I have heard. I would love to have one, they look great.

LTLFLDF
Nov. 25, 2011, 08:06 PM
I remember the days we made fun of the breed shows for using fake tails and now it seems everyone has one. (I do and I don't even have a horse. What can I say I love to barter)

I have seen weighted tails used. I would talk to your braider they will steer you in the right direction.

llsc
Nov. 25, 2011, 08:16 PM
If his tail is already thick you can just use fishing weights to weight it down. Anywhere that has weights for ocean use will have the ones that are heavy enough.

ToTheNines
Nov. 25, 2011, 08:58 PM
Nick, tails is 1/2 the conversation when I take my Appy to breed shows! I would focus on getting the right tail, then attaching weights, rather than trying to find one with weights. You may find that the tail itself is enough. You will want to be sure to get one long enough for that tall boy. And be sure to get one that has the "natural loop" top that is sort of tapered at the top. Not a big thick knob. To me they look best if they are long enough to tie on about 3 - 4 inches up the tailbone from the bottom. Then you can kind of secure them around the tailbone. I would be glad to show you sometime. Seems like I recall an excellent post a while back about how to tie in tail.

Tiffany01
Nov. 26, 2011, 09:03 AM
I have a fake 1 llb tail for my mare.

howardh
Nov. 26, 2011, 09:30 AM
Usually the weight of the actual tail is more than enough to quiet an overactive tail. I really don't think that you want the super quiet tucked into the butt stock horse western pleasure look.

It needs to have some movement!