PDA

View Full Version : DD "schools" my clients...silly story to lighten the mood.

englishivy
Nov. 22, 2011, 07:30 PM
Backstory:

I judged a local schooling series finals not too long ago, and there were many equitation classes in which I had to test. In the long/short stirrup type division, I was starting to run out of ideas.....so I asked to see a simple change of lead followed by a demo of a half-turn in reverse at the trot. It didn't go very well (:no:). I told some of my clients about it the quasi-diaster of that test, using it as a teaching opportunity. Although most of my clients knew the difference between the half-turn and the half-turn in reverse, some newbies to my program needed a little more explaination.

Fast forward to today: while I was teaching a client, my DD decided she needed to "take a lesson" to another rider in the ring (DD is 4). We all agreed to "share the ring", and I waltzed out after my lesson ended.

Apparently while I was gone, my DD not only asked for, but properly demonstrated in case there was confusion, the half-turn in reverse. And interestingly enough, she did it correctly. :lol:

I guess she is a little sponge....it would explain why she occsionally drops the f*bomb.

GM would be so proud.

Limerick
Nov. 22, 2011, 07:57 PM
GM would be very proud!! She sounds like a very bright child and she is definitely absorbing everything you say. :)

catosis
Nov. 22, 2011, 08:10 PM
Excuse my ignorance, but what exactly is a half turn in reverse? :o

klmck63
Nov. 22, 2011, 08:47 PM

A half-turn you come off the rail in a small semi-circle and return to the rail in a straight line. Half-turn in reverse you come off in a straight line and return with the small semi-circle. I think ;) I might have it backwards....

Renn/aissance
Nov. 22, 2011, 08:48 PM
Your daughter sounds like a trip and a half- and a smart cookie!

catosis
Nov. 22, 2011, 08:57 PM
A half-turn you come off the rail in a small semi-circle and return to the rail in a straight line. Half-turn in reverse you come off in a straight line and return with the small semi-circle. I think ;) I might have it backwards....

Soooo... just a 10 meter half circle, essentially? Sorry, I com from dressage land- we have different terminology!

ParadoxFarm
Nov. 22, 2011, 09:21 PM
That's so cute. :) The first few times I had to do these I really had to think about it!

Jsalem
Nov. 22, 2011, 09:27 PM
That is very precious! Love me a scrappy and sassy Trainer's Kid!

Roxy SM
Nov. 22, 2011, 09:40 PM
I've always known the opposite of a half turn as a "reverse turn," not a "half turn in reverse." Maybe that is why some of the riders were unsure of what you were asking for?

Credosporthorses
Nov. 22, 2011, 09:50 PM
I think its a location thing. I grew up on the west coast calling them reverse turns. When I got to Virginia everyone called them half turns in reverse. I was so confused until I saw someone ride one, lightbulb moment.

I've always known the opposite of a half turn as a "reverse turn," not a "half turn in reverse." Maybe that is why some of the riders were unsure of what you were asking for?

bjd2013
Nov. 22, 2011, 10:20 PM
I always think of a half turn and reverse as a half a heart with the rail. Confusing but only way I can remember.

Something like this: http://ultimatehorseguide.com/files/2010/07/68.jpg

Number 2 is what I learned to be a half turn and reverse.

RugBug
Nov. 23, 2011, 12:41 AM
Cute story!

I think its a location thing. I grew up on the west coast calling them reverse turns. When I got to Virginia everyone called them half turns in reverse. I was so confused until I saw someone ride one, lightbulb moment.

I grew up on the west coast calling them half turn in reverse. I would be confused by "reverse turn."

You could think of it has half a ten meter circle, but you're really not measuring the turn at all. Both are basically the shape of single scoop ice cream cones. In the half turn, you make the ice cream part first and then the cone (turn, then go back to the rail). Half turn in reverse, you make the cone first, and then the ice cream (come off rail at a shallow angle then when sufficiently far away from the rail, turn back to it.) Half turns in reverse are great for teaching/checking balance and engagement as well as for teaching flying changes...and you know, for turning around. :winkgrin: It's actually one of my favorite reverses and use it a lot.

Kryswyn
Nov. 23, 2011, 12:49 AM
I had a lot of early instruction from a Hungarian Cavalry Captain. We did 'voltes' and 'haf voltes' and, of course, 'haf voltes in reverse'. And yes, he pronounced it as HAF voltes. :D

Dewey
Nov. 23, 2011, 09:14 AM
Soooo... just a 10 meter half circle, essentially? Sorry, I com from dressage land- we have different terminology!

Yes. I learned to ride in Pony Club back in the day, and we worked on school figures a lot and studied them in the Manual of Horsemanship, where the diagrams showed the half circle and half circle in reverse to be 10 meters in size.

http://www.confidentrider.com/articles/arena_figures.htm

OveroHunter
Nov. 23, 2011, 09:59 AM
Yes. I learned to ride in Pony Club back in the day, and we worked on school figures a lot and studied them in the Manual of Horsemanship, where the diagrams showed the half circle and half circle in reverse to be 10 meters in size.

Well I for one just got schooled!

LeandraB
Nov. 23, 2011, 11:02 AM

Thanks so much for posting this! i come from a hunter background and teach a few girls who come from more dressagey-balanced seat background so this gives me so many things to do in my lesson and ill be able to explain it clearly with correct terminology :D

BAC
Nov. 23, 2011, 11:22 AM
I always think of a half turn and reverse as a half a heart with the rail. Confusing but only way I can remember.

Something like this: http://ultimatehorseguide.com/files/2010/07/68.jpg

Number 2 is what I learned to be a half turn and reverse.

This is the way I know them as well.

KBC
Nov. 23, 2011, 11:28 AM
You could think of it has half a ten meter circle, but you're really not measuring the turn at all. Both are basically the shape of single scoop ice cream cones. In the half turn, you make the ice cream part first and then the cone (turn, then go back to the rail). Half turn in reverse, you make the cone first, and then the ice cream (come off rail at a shallow angle then when sufficiently far away from the rail, turn back to it.) Half turns in reverse are great for teaching/checking balance and engagement as well as for teaching flying changes...and you know, for turning around. :winkgrin: It's actually one of my favorite reverses and use it a lot.

What a great description, THAT I can understand and see perfectly

eclipse
Nov. 23, 2011, 12:52 PM
LOL, speaking of asking riders to half turn reverse, I was announcing at a novice show and the judge called for "reverse direction at the walk". The riders all started to halt and back up their horses....yep, they were all teens most learning to drive, so "reversed their horse like you would a car" :lol: :lol: :lol: You could hear all the trainers howling on the side lines!! :lol: :lol:

alibi_18
Nov. 23, 2011, 01:46 PM
I had a lot of early instruction from a Hungarian Cavalry Captain. We did 'voltes' and 'haf voltes' and, of course, 'haf voltes in reverse'. And yes, he pronounced it as HAF voltes. :D

It's in French too. A 10m circle is a Volte (volt). Demi-volte (half volt). Demi-volte renversée. (Half volt in reverse)

Since I know a bit of western riding, to have been asked to perform a half turn in reverse would have made me go for a rollback! :D

bits619
Nov. 23, 2011, 02:02 PM
I audited a GM clinic a few months ago and yes, George would be proud! We came home from the clinic we were all about the half turn in reverse! I hadn't done one in years and now I try to incorporate at least two into my schooling sessions.

CuteArabHunter
Nov. 23, 2011, 02:04 PM
Since I know a bit of western riding, to have been asked to perform a half turn in reverse would have made me go for a rollback! :D

I'm on the west side of the county in cow land and so this thread had me really confused. In 4-h (around here at least) when they call for a reverse [of direction] we are always supposed to turn towards the inside of the arena. What they call the half-turn in reverse around here we would call a rollback. hehe Apparently we are not very civilized. :winkgrin: If I said to one of my riding pals "ok, now do a half turn in reverse" they would look at me like I was speaking <insert language other than English> . :lol: Now I'm of higher education. <insert snob face> :winkgrin::cool::lol: