PDA

View Full Version : What would be a fair offer on a used Butet?

ksetrider
Nov. 22, 2011, 12:03 PM
My friend offered to sell her extra Butet to me and when I asked what she would want for it, she said "I don't know, make me an offer." Thats pretty open ended. Obviously I don't want to overpay, but I also don't want to offend her at the same time. The saddle is older (from the mid-90's) but is in excellent shape, no holes, no cracking. Has anyone bought/sold an older Butet recently and what did you get/pay for it?

BAC
Nov. 22, 2011, 12:07 PM
You can get a good idea of prices by checking all the used websites, fineusedsaddles.com; frenchusedsaddles.com; CWDsellier.com and allthebestusedsaddles.com for comparison. You can see photos of all the saddles, so pick ones that appear to be in a similar condition to the one you would be buying. You can get used Butets for less than $2,000 to $4,000 depending on their newness and condition.

hequestrian
Nov. 22, 2011, 12:30 PM
Most of the older butets I have seen go from 1500 to 2200. Someone in my barn got an older one in excellent condition for 1900 I think. You will have to gauge the specific situation I think. 2000 would be a fair offer though IMO. But this is all based on a guess.

BAC
Nov. 22, 2011, 12:37 PM
You can't base your offer just on its age though. A friend had an older Butet for sale and was told by Beval she should get $2,600 for it, it had been well cared for and was in excellent condition. The condition of the saddle is the biggest factor in determining value, although of course newer will always add to the value even more.

alto
Nov. 22, 2011, 01:19 PM
There are also a few Butet model "years", that hold much higher value, so your friend should really have the saddle assessed herself ... you can certainly throw out a number & she will either accept or state her preferred price point.

If you haven't done any saddle shopping lately, go look around & then make an offer based upon what you think the saddle is worth.

KayPink
Nov. 22, 2011, 05:03 PM
The condition of the saddle is the biggest factor in determining value, although of course newer will always add to the value even more.

Although, a lot of folks say that some slightly older Butets are much nicer than the newer ones. A friend and I have the same Butet (seat, flaps,etc.) and she likes mine so much better than hers, saying mine is much more comfortable and better to ride in. So as alto said, it depends on the "model year" as sometimes an older one will actually be more desirable.

BAC
Nov. 22, 2011, 05:14 PM
Although, a lot of folks say that some slightly older Butets are much nicer than the newer ones. A friend and I have the same Butet (seat, flaps,etc.) and she likes mine so much better than hers, saying mine is much more comfortable and better to ride in. So as alto said, it depends on the "model year" as sometimes an older one will actually be more desirable.

The newer Butets have the FB2 tree, I would only buy a newer one with that tree, a better fit for many horses who became back sore with the old tree. Also, I prefer the leather on the new ones, not only is it prettier IMO, the older ones were much more delicate, especially the seat and knee rolls. Ask all the people who had to spend hundreds of dollars to have that fragile calfskin replaced.

STA
Nov. 22, 2011, 05:28 PM
I have a 1988 Butet I have not been able to sell for $1800, but I have sold two for $2000 and $2200. It depends on condition. I personally have a 1991 Butet and have turned down a $2800 bid.

simc24
Nov. 22, 2011, 06:31 PM
I paid $1500 for a 1995 model last year. It does have several scratches, though, needs new panels and there is a hole in the knee pad that was stitched very roughly that will need to be fixed.

Wholehearted
Nov. 22, 2011, 06:59 PM
I bought my '06 17.5 deep seat Butet for $1500, and I still feel like that was a steal as the asking price was $1700. It was in excellent condition and didn't even have holes from a nameplate in it (it does now, though). I've seen similar ones sell for over $2k.

luckeys71
Nov. 22, 2011, 07:20 PM
I bought my older Butet off eBay in the Spring. I think it is a '94. It is in remarkably good shape for its age. Has the usual "Butet stuff", but not bad for its age. The panels had been changed from foam to wool about a year ago. I paid $1,100.

SquishTheBunny
Nov. 22, 2011, 08:33 PM
I purchased a '98 butet (17" medium tree with front/back blocks) from someone here on COTH. I bought it for my best friend as a chistmas present. She sold it to me for under $1000 including shipping to Canada!! Best deal ever as its in absolutley perfect condition. It was too small for her horse, and fits the 19 year old thoroughbred with sharkfin withers like a charm. My friend adores the saddle, and said it has given her "balls" to jump bigger.

Pony Soprano
Nov. 22, 2011, 09:20 PM
I agree that it is largely based on condition and year. I sold a 96' that was in very good condition for $2500.

Donkerbruin
Nov. 24, 2011, 12:41 AM
My sister and I both got our Butets for $2,000 each. This was in the early 2000's and they have held up great. If you decide you want to buy it, be sure to ride in it first! All Butets are different. Good luck!