PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this mare?

TatteredDaydreamer
Nov. 21, 2011, 10:59 PM
http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5086:zen-buddha&catid=51:mountaineer-trainer-listings

There's something about her that really draws me in, she's compact, balanced and a really cute mover. Is there something glaringly obviously horrid about her conformation that I'm missing?

NotAtTheBarn
Nov. 21, 2011, 11:20 PM
She has a very cute face!
The major thing I noticed was her hind legs were too straight for my taste, and I think this shows up in her trot with the lack of pushing power. Maybe this can be changed over time with correct training and strengthening exercises, but I'm not a huge fan on taking that chance.

Justa Bob
Nov. 21, 2011, 11:26 PM
Please go look at her...the pictures and video wouldn't do any horse justice. The photo angles are just off -- its hard to tell. There is a lot that is intriguing and aren't those dapples showing through? And it looks like her portrait says "come get me!" Good luck!

CrimsonInClover
Nov. 22, 2011, 12:24 AM
My first impression just from the photo's was just okay, but then I watched the video and there is just something that drew me in about her. Go look!

TatteredDaydreamer
Nov. 22, 2011, 05:01 AM
I really liked her in the video as well, here's hoping we can make the trip down.

Hauwse
Nov. 22, 2011, 08:35 AM
Looking at the picture I would say she has ossolet's, not terrible, but a little jewelry just the same. It could be the picture, she is standing a little up hill, but she looks to have a little more angle in the pasterns then you might want, which may have contributed to the aforementioned.

The video is not great, but from what I can see she is a little tender up front.

She ran 43 times which for her age could be a moderate amount or a lot all depending on when she started, where she ran, what conditions she ran in etc.

My concern would be that she is a little locked in the ankles, but like others stated, you probably need to go see her to know for sure.

myalter1
Nov. 22, 2011, 08:38 AM
The video is not great, but from what I can see she is a little tender up front.

That's what i saw too.

Donkerbruin
Nov. 22, 2011, 10:31 AM
She's cute, although I don't love her crooked face marking. It's like an optical illusion.

Go Fish
Nov. 22, 2011, 12:37 PM
I'd certainly want to see her jump. Even if it's through a chute. Her front end conformation makes me think she'll jump over herself.

The pasterns up front and the straight leg behind would also give me concern.

This is all assuming you are looking for a jump horse.

It's interesting to see the trot video. From the side she looks pretty sustantial. She looks narrow in the video, but that just may be an illusion based on a video made from a phone?

englishcowgirl
Nov. 22, 2011, 01:42 PM
She looks A LOT like my mare!!! Conformation is almost identical, all but the lower legs.... We do hunters and I promise the crooked face marking does not hurt your placings :cool: That booty she has is going to be your friend over fences, nice short back as well. I really like her, does not hurt to go look!

Vesper Sparrow
Nov. 22, 2011, 02:10 PM
My gelding is by the same sire, Buddha, who is said to be extremely smart. My boy certainly takes after his dad in that respect; although he's kind, very quick to learn and not at all spooky, he can cop a bit of an attitude and be a pickle at times. He adores people, has a sense of humor and he can use his smarts for evil as well as good. He's also very athletic. I often compare him to a Shetland pony in a TB body. This mare also seems intelligent and self-possessed, but with less of the attitude.

We do dressage but one BN hunter trainer has remarked that she liked his potential for hunters. He's a very good jumper, with lots of scope.

V.JUMP
Nov. 22, 2011, 04:50 PM
It's hard to tell from the rotated picture but it looks like she could be a tad bit 'butt-high'. I love the angle of her shoulder though.. a good jumper prospect if she has a tight jump.

doublesstable
Nov. 22, 2011, 06:33 PM
Looking at the picture I would say she has ossolet's, not terrible, but a little jewelry just the same. It could be the picture, she is standing a little up hill, but she looks to have a little more angle in the pasterns then you might want, which may have contributed to the aforementioned.

She ran 43 times which for her age could be a moderate amount or a lot all depending on when she started, where she ran, what conditions she ran in etc.

My concern would be that she is a little locked in the ankles, but like others stated, you probably need to go see her to know for sure.

Agree with the above....

I think conformation wise her front legs look so much shorter than her hind, but many TB's look like that for they are bred to gallop...however until you see her in action, conformation isn't always a true indicator of what a horse can or cannot do.

TatteredDaydreamer
Nov. 23, 2011, 04:38 AM
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the information and opinions as not everyone sees the same thing.

Instant Karma
Nov. 23, 2011, 07:14 AM
Her photo is beautiful but I think she also looks sore in the trot vid.

chemteach
Nov. 23, 2011, 07:55 AM
I would be concerned about her soreness in the front and how straight she is in the back legs.

TheJenners
Nov. 23, 2011, 08:04 AM
Straight behind, front pasterns looks a little straight for my taste, don't like her chest AT ALL. Knees look pinched. Video makes her look gimpy...she is cute though. I bought a conformational imperfect horse who was torn apart on here, and after two months he looks like a different horse.

Can you go look at her? A picture is a moment in time, and the video is NOT a good one.