PDA

View Full Version : Working Student Positions in English Speaking Countries Outside USA

Muggle Mom
Nov. 21, 2011, 08:42 PM
DD is looking for a new working student or groom/rider position and is curious about opportunities in English-speaking countries outside the US - Australia or Canada, most likely. Does anyone here have any experience doing something similar? Do such positions require student visas, work visas, sponsorships??? Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

RyuEquestrian
Nov. 21, 2011, 09:18 PM
I worked for Olympian Tim Stockdale and made the mistake of not purchasing a return ticket, telling the customs officers that I was staying for the full 6 months and TOLD them about my working student position (receiving housing in return). Apparently receiving housing (even though not monetary) still counted as being "paid".

The result ----I now MUST get a visa whenever I go to England, even if it is only a few days visit, which is really a bummer because dear boyfriend is going home to England for Christmas and I must stay behind :-(

Lesson learned.

Muggle Mom
Nov. 21, 2011, 10:06 PM
Wow! Good to know what not to say. :lol:

So if you get housing, you need a work visa? Is it hard to get one for this purpose?

Polydor
Nov. 21, 2011, 10:43 PM
For australia you can do a Working Holiday visa. THis would let her work in one farm for 4-6 months at a time then move on. If you work in an agriculture place for 3 months you are able to get a 2nd working holiday visa for another year. So could work out well. 4 different farms in 2 years.

Another thing that might work would be the Agricventure program. Which they set up visa and check out the farm and everything for you. So if you can find farm that would have you. These are generally longer then 6 months terms and you still get to see the country and travel around being a toursit.

http://www.agriventure.com/

P.

Muggle Mom
Nov. 21, 2011, 11:00 PM
For australia you can do a Working Holiday visa. THis would let her work in one farm for 4-6 months at a time then move on. If you work in an agriculture place for 3 months you are able to get a 2nd working holiday visa for another year. So could work out well. 4 different farms in 2 years.

Another thing that might work would be the Agricventure program. Which they set up visa and check out the farm and everything for you. So if you can find farm that would have you. These are generally longer then 6 months terms and you still get to see the country and travel around being a toursit.

http://www.agriventure.com/

P.

Thanks - this is a great help!

Amage
Nov. 22, 2011, 03:13 AM
It is worth remembering that when you go to continental Europe even though English is not the primary language it is spoken so would not be beyond the realms of possibility to go there!