PDA

View Full Version : best sources for good deals on blankets?

Mayaty02
Nov. 21, 2011, 06:16 PM
we have a small sale pony who needs some clothing as he's about to get clipped. Don't want to spend alot, are there any screaming good deals out there? He needs a medium and a heavy turnout... thanks!

MoonLadyIsis
Nov. 21, 2011, 07:05 PM
try SStack.com the schneiders blankets that I have are holding up pretty well and there are several cheap(er) options

equinedriver
Nov. 21, 2011, 07:07 PM
DOn't know how much trouble you want to go to but there is a lady here in Aiken selling a bunch of used ones for like $25 each.

STA
Nov. 21, 2011, 07:45 PM
Try a consignment shop in your area. I just sold a small pony (about 56") a stable sheet, Baker blanket, and Rambo heavy turnout blanket with neck for $220. I am sure there will be equally fair deals in your neck of the woods.

alto
Nov. 21, 2011, 07:56 PM
If you're in rain world or do group turnout, search for the pony sheets that are above 600 denier & offer rip stop - top quality sheets that go into clearance are often in the pony sizes so check the super bargain bins for the onine shops (for some reason many don't come up on google or even the proprietary search engines).

tidy rabbit
Nov. 21, 2011, 08:04 PM
We just got the "smartpak" blankets in. Stable blanket, turnout medium weight, and stable sheet, all pretty well made and seem to fit nicely enough.

I'm planning to order the stable sheet for all the horses.

Star's Ascent
Nov. 21, 2011, 08:12 PM
I really like the Schneider's blankets. Unfortunately I sold the one I had with the horse that wore it. I had the one with the belly band. I always felt he was super snug and toasty. Now, this doesn't help you in your current situation, but here we just had a tack sale fundraiser for one of the local rescues. Everything is donated and then they price and sale it. I got a great black blanket for my filly for $40! It seems to be a turnout. Maybe med weight in brand new condition. No idea what brand it is, but it was a great deal. So I would definitely try local tack sales if there are any, craigslist, equusnow.com also has a used section.

lcw579
Nov. 21, 2011, 08:17 PM
What size are you looking for? Our pony club has an "Outgrown Shop" and I believe there are some small sizes in there. We are in PA but could ship to you. The blankets are usually pretty cheap.

HuntJumpSC
Nov. 21, 2011, 11:45 PM
I just body-clipped my mini gelding this week and his former owner (who still loves to dote on him) bought him a 44" turnout sheet from Schneiders Tack. Being on the SC coast, it should be all he needs, since he'll fluff up again pretty quick, but for now he's comfy. I want to say it was around $30? Fits well, for the price, can't beat it. :)

tidy rabbit
Nov. 22, 2011, 07:32 AM
I just body-clipped my mini gelding this week and his former owner (who still loves to dote on him) bought him a 44" turnout sheet from Schneiders Tack.

Can we have a picture of this? It must be pretty freeking adorable?????!!!!

Top Knot
Nov. 22, 2011, 07:37 AM
hahaha clipping a mini! Adorable!

equinedriver
Nov. 22, 2011, 09:13 AM
Those mini's grow coats like Yak's and if you don't clip them here in SC, they'll either bake, or you have to wait 2 days for them to dry out LOL.

TheHotSensitiveType
Nov. 22, 2011, 09:30 AM
I got my blankets from AdamsHorseSupply.com; they had the best prices. My horses have Saxon and Weatherbeater blankets as they seem to hold up just fine and are affordable (<100 each blanket).

Lysara
Nov. 22, 2011, 09:35 AM
Good thread, I am taking note since I have a blanket destroyer.... :sadsmile:

lisann
Nov. 22, 2011, 11:17 AM
Another vote for Schneider's (sstack.com). I've got the el cheapo ones (about $65 for midweight turnout) and my friend has the pricier ones (about $140). We both love our blankets!

morganpony86
Nov. 22, 2011, 01:01 PM
EBay. When I had to buy my gelding blankets at the peak season (I bought him in Sept), that was by far the cheapest way to go. I found a store that sold non-brand blankets. I think I paid $30 for a medium weight 78" stable blanket that has lasted 2 years on a youngster.

twhs
Nov. 23, 2011, 11:15 AM
Our new pony came with a Saxon & Weatherbeeter and has destroyed both. Using Rambos & Amigos now which are holding up well.

twhs
Nov. 23, 2011, 11:16 AM
Have you checked Middleburg Tack? We've bought a couple Rambos there.

twhs
Nov. 23, 2011, 11:19 AM
The Schneider buckles are too difficult for our granddaughter's fingers and too heavy compared to other brands for my aching back. Plus, if you read other posts on COTH you'll find that Schneiders is not so easy to deal with as in the past when needing to return because of a fit problem or when a blanket goes bad.

Mayaty02
Nov. 23, 2011, 11:39 AM
Thanks guys, I just scored a 2nd hand Rhino medium turnout and matching stable blanket so newly clipped pony will hopefully not freeze :) still on the hunt for a heavy turnout and yes twhs, i am headed to Middleburg Tack this afternoon! I need a quarter sheet too, especially today!