PDA

View Full Version : Bits with Rollers?

Rebels_Princess
Nov. 21, 2011, 05:28 PM
Just curious. But what exactly is the purpose of a bit with a roller? What kind of horse is it good for? I noticed that a lot of people start young ones with them. Why? What have you found them good for?

Burbank
Nov. 21, 2011, 05:30 PM
horses that like to play with their mouths tend to like a copper roller, my gelding has a myler with a roller and he doesn't play to much with it but I use to show a wp mare that her show bit was a half breed with a roller and in the line up she would spin that sucker loud enough to hear, it was funny

CHT
Nov. 21, 2011, 06:12 PM
I really hate the common D-ring with rollers. the single jointed one where the rollers alternate between copper and steel. Some people seem to assume they are kind because they have rollers and neglect to take into account that in order to have the rollers the bars of the bit are completely straight, making it a bit that is more harsh on the tongue, palate and bars.

I do have a bit where the middle link has a plastic roller...but that is just the only rubber double jointed snaffle I could find at the time...I have not really noticed horses accepting it better or worse than one without the roller.

IBCuttin
Nov. 21, 2011, 06:42 PM
I also dislike D rings with the rollers. Not just because they are straight, but because a horse chewing on them will cause them to bend and create sharp edges.
Bits with rollers, as mentioned, are designed for horses who have "busy mouths". Same with keys. If you have a horse who needs something like that, I would look through all your options before you buy one. There are better bits than the typical copper roller D ring out there.

*Liz*
Nov. 22, 2011, 12:04 AM
I have to disagree with IBCuttin, I have know many people, my mother included, who ride or have ridden in a straight mouthed copper roller bit, and have never encountered one with sharp edges.

I recently started a QH mare in one, because it was the mare's bit of choice. I started in a plain snaffle, but she was fussy and holding the bit in her teeth, then I tried a french link, but she was still not happy. Next I tried the copper roller, and I found horse to be soft, light, and responsive, so we stuck with that.

Some horses just like them, like any other bit, it really depends on the horse. I have a friend with a large junior hunter/medal horse, who ribbons well at A and AA shows, who goes great in a copper roller. At the other end of the spectrum, my mother walk/trots and trail rides her older pony in one frequently because pony is polite in the bit.

OP, the point of the a bit with rollers is generally to give the horse something to do or think about while being ridden, and they are good for a variety of horses and purposes. It's a good bit to keep in the box to be tried when looking for a new bit. Some horses really like it, others not so much.

Burbank
Nov. 22, 2011, 09:41 AM
http://www.mylerbits.com/dyn_prod.php?p=89-21035&k=88012

here is what my gelding goes in, he also has the non roller version and does fine in both, but for a roller bit I really like the design

pryme_thyme
Nov. 22, 2011, 01:02 PM
I started my filly on a plain full cheek, then changed to a Happy mouth since she was obviously unhappy with how thin the bit was. She seemed to like it for while but then....
after having a few fits with bridling and my shortness attempting to reach a the horse turned 'giraffe', I was suggested to try a basic snaffle with a fat copper peanut in the middle. (french link works too).

The bit was overall a bit thicker and had a large peanut in the middle, (not one of those little dinky ones). She loves it and happily grasps for the bit before I have the bridle in line with her head.

The copper helps babies accept the bit because it tastes sweet. The rollers or peanut prompt salivating. Overall making the bit a happy experience.

I recommend the peanut since it eliminates the nut cracker affect on their mouth, lay the bit across your arm and grasp the rings of the bit like your hand is the reins. Pull. If it pinches and hurts, don't buy it unless you really need it. Baby mouth's are soft.

:)

IBCuttin
Nov. 22, 2011, 05:46 PM
[QUOTE=*Liz*;5974222]I have to disagree with IBCuttin, I have know many people, my mother included, who ride or have ridden in a straight mouthed copper roller bit, and have never encountered one with sharp edges.
QUOTE]

I should have worded things differently. They don't always end up with sharp edges, but they can. I have used them successfully in the past, but after having one in an aggressive chewer, I use them as a last resort bit.

Piadosa
Nov. 22, 2011, 11:52 PM
http://www.mylerbits.com/dyn_prod.php?p=89-21035&k=88012

here is what my gelding goes in, he also has the non roller version and does fine in both, but for a roller bit I really like the design

I use this bit too. My mare loves it. Before this I was alternating between a plastic pelham, and slow twist dee, and a waterford dee. I don't think she actually plays with the roller, but she goes so wonderfully in this bit that its a keeper.

I ride with a girl whose horse has a very busy mouth. He loves getting anything he can into his mouth to play. The roller was a disaster on him. He was so occupied with his new "toy" that work time became play time.