PDA

View Full Version : Barns near Chicago? Katie Kappler?

Alterrain
Nov. 21, 2011, 05:03 PM
One of my closest friends has to move to Chicago for one year for work, and will take her horse. The only trainer I can think of is Katie Kappler, but obviously there are others :)

She does the Adult hunters, her horse is a winner but a little tough to prep I think. She's looking for (preferably) other adults, a nice barn (gym/ lounge/ etc) and obviously, great lessons. I don't think her horse gets turned out, so that's not important. Neither is location w/ in the chicago area- she'll drive like 1.5/ 2 hours.

TIA!!

Fiction
Nov. 21, 2011, 07:59 PM
I believe Katie's barn is in Wadsworth, about an hour from the city. Unfortunately thats really the only info I can offer!

jump_lv
Nov. 21, 2011, 09:13 PM
I've heard great things about Country Ridge (http://www.countryridgestables.com/) along with Red Coat/Mary Goldman (http://www.redcoatfarm.com/Home_Page.php). :)

AmmyByNature
Nov. 22, 2011, 10:46 AM
...a nice barn (gym/ lounge/ etc)...

A gym? I gotta get out more...

Tha Ridge
Nov. 22, 2011, 11:01 AM

That was my thought too. I ride with a pretty BNT in New Jersey and I've never seen/heard of a barn with a gym? :confused:

hequestrian
Nov. 22, 2011, 12:36 PM
I don't have experience training with a woman but I did try one of her horses about 4 years ago and it went around very well. It's a pretty small barn, very nice and well kept. Maybe it would be something to ask around about-
Vanessa Berger- Happenstance (http://http://www.happenstancefarm.com/staff/)

caryledee
Nov. 22, 2011, 12:47 PM
Haven't lived there in a while but Katie is in Barrington Hills (unless they've moved in the last couple of years.) Nice place, meticulous care, but no gym...indoor ring is kinda small.

A lot of people I know have been at Red Coat and really like it.

There is also Canterbury/Telluride out in Hampshire; Greg Franklin and Diane Carney train out of there. Got some adult friends out there who are happy.

Plenty of choices within 2 hours of Chicago!

snaffle635
Nov. 22, 2011, 12:58 PM

My thought exactly! Geez, our barn just has horses.

SMNG
Nov. 22, 2011, 01:31 PM
If she is willing to drive up to 2 hours, I would recommend Brookwood Farm with Rush and Caroline Weeden... gorgeous facility and I have heard nothing buy great things about them!

VR00M
Nov. 22, 2011, 01:35 PM
How about lynn jane...

Giddy-up
Nov. 22, 2011, 03:01 PM
If your friend is going to only be here for a year, does she want to stay local for showing or go to a winter circuit? Only cause some of the barns mentioned do leave for winter circuits--anywhere from a few weeks to a few months.

It sounds like your friend is going to need to do some looking & farm visits cause a 2 hour commute is going to open up a of of barns.

Tap2Tango
Nov. 22, 2011, 03:32 PM
That was my thought too. I ride with a pretty BNT in New Jersey and I've never seen/heard of a barn with a gym? :confused:

It made me laugh because when I think of "nice barn" I think of one that has an indoor bathroom and not a portapotty or a stall!!

Thehills
Nov. 22, 2011, 04:14 PM
My daughter rides at Happenstance Farm in Zion, north of the city. Vanessa and Meagan are great, beautiful facilities (no gym) and fantastic staff. My daughter is one of only two children.

showidaho
Nov. 22, 2011, 04:38 PM
One of my closest friends has to move to Chicago for one year for work, and will take her horse. The only trainer I can think of is Katie Kappler, but obviously there are others :)

She does the Adult hunters, her horse is a winner but a little tough to prep I think. She's looking for (preferably) other adults, a nice barn (gym/ lounge/ etc) and obviously, great lessons. I don't think her horse gets turned out, so that's not important. Neither is location w/ in the chicago area- she'll drive like 1.5/ 2 hours.

TIA!!

Sorry, but her horse doesn't get turned out? Like, ever?

Moli
Nov. 22, 2011, 06:53 PM
Dianne Carney gets my vote. She may not be soft and cuddly for your child; however, she tells it like it is and gets REAL results from her riders. I have known her since she was a working student in Colorado, and if I had a horse in the region, she would be my only choice for trainer!!

equineexec
Nov. 22, 2011, 08:46 PM
Greg Franklin, Canterbury Farms, an A circuit trainer and USEF Senior Judge. He had a George Morris clinic last year at his facility. Check out internet for more info.

samtoney
Nov. 26, 2011, 02:44 AM
Prairie Star out of Daybreak gets my vote. The farm is located approximately 2 miles west of 94 off of Buckley Rd. Please PM for further info if you would like

CenterStage123
Nov. 26, 2011, 10:22 AM
Sorry, but her horse doesn't get turned out? Like, ever?

It's probably why it's hard to prep. :no: