PDA

View Full Version : Finding a coach in western Mb/eastern Sk

IBCuttin
Nov. 21, 2011, 11:42 AM
My 11 year old daughter has been riding western for several years and recently decided to start riding english, with her goal being h/j eventually.
Our western coach told us she could also teach english, but, let's just say she's not suitable. We found one woman we really like, but she doesn't have an arena and if you know what are winters are like, you'll understand that this is a neccessity. Plus, being from England, she can teach my daughter equitation, but not all the little details that are expected at shows here.
We live in Western Manitoba, but are also willing to travel in Eastern Saskatchewan. Any suggestions would be extremely helpful.
Thanks in advance.

Cabaret SK
Nov. 21, 2011, 02:00 PM
Whereabouts are you located? Are you close to Brandon at all?

How far into SK are you willing to travel?

IBCuttin
Nov. 21, 2011, 02:53 PM
I am about 15 miles North of the #1, inside Mb, but right on the Sask border. We are about an hour and a hlaf from Brandon. We travel that way for one of our western trainers on a regular basis.
I'd be willing to do about a 2 hour drive. If I knew my daughter was serious, I would go further. She has an appendix QH that she is currently using that she really likes, so I would be willing to haul her.

Cabaret SK
Nov. 21, 2011, 04:52 PM
Janina Kemp in Broadview used to teach lessons (Kempstone Sport Horses), but I don't know if she still does. She also doesn't have an indoor, so I don't think that would work.

I think looking around Brandon is probably your best bet!

klmck63
Nov. 21, 2011, 05:56 PM
I have been around Cindy and Terry from Tally Ho Stables in Brandon and would definitely recommend them. They work with all levels of riders and all types of horses and consistently have good results. From what I have seen at shows, they have a nice family oriented environment in the barn and I believe also have several students around the age you mentioned. They have a somewhat out of date facebook page but no website.

In Saskatchewan I would recommend Don and Connie Dorsch of Dorsch Farms. Both of them teach well and produce a lot of nice horses, but I don't think they have many young students.

Feel free to PM me if you have any questions about trainers you come across. I showed in the area for a couple years :)

IBCuttin
Nov. 21, 2011, 06:35 PM
I've met Cindy & Terry. Both very nice people. A friend had a horse in training there, I believe it was. Also, I bought a horse from them about 9 years ago. I can't believe I didn't think of them. Thanks.
I'm sure I will have some questions about trainers. It's nice to be able to pick other people's brains and get their opinions before hauling my kid places. She can be a bit sensitive. Much appreciated