PDA

View Full Version : The mysterious nature of the entry form...

Angelico
Nov. 21, 2011, 11:14 AM
Today I was filling out entry forms...

So I'm pretty new on here, but it looks like most of you are like me, less financially gifted, show pretty regularly, and want to make shows "do-able" again.

Could someone please explain to me what these mystery fees are? I have been paying them for years and boy, do they add up! But I have no idea what half of them are for...

Drug fee (I assume drug testing, but I've never had a horse tested, ever)

Schooling fee (what the heck? We already pay a grounds fee)

Office fee (do they not get enough $ out of our entries? Office supplies maybe? At $30 per horse, though)

USEF fee (come on now, I give enough money away to them each year, now you're just being mean)

Jumper nominating fee (no idea here)

luckeys71
Nov. 21, 2011, 05:50 PM
I keep waiting for someone to be really honest and add on a "Just Because We Can Fee". My trainer, who is a show manager, says that without the office fees they often would lose money. I say increase the entry fees. If I had to pay a couple dollars more for a division, I wouldn't be nearly as resentful as seeing all the add ons at the end. They'd probably make more in the end.

My vet doesn't charge a "Medical Waste Disposal Fee" for the same reason. He said he'd rather build it into his prices, because he finds those fees really annoying.

CHT
Nov. 21, 2011, 06:08 PM
I think the drug fee and the association fee is mandated by the association. So even though the show doesn't drug test, it helps pay for the drug testing program.

Office fees are the base rate for the entry to pay the office staff and for the computer systems. Flat rate per entry seems fair to me.

Schooling fee is usually for hunters, so that you can book arena time to school over the show jumps. At some shows here you can also do this for jumpers, but not all. The prize list may give you more info, but most shows here have the option to either pay per round, or to block a time.

jumper nominating fee is typically the base rate fee you pay to have a jumper registered at the show. You then pay Start Fees to actually enter classes. This allows you to decide the day before competition what classes you will enter depending on how your horse is going and the footing as examples.

I think breaking out the fees makes sense, and likely helps with the book keeping. reading the prize list will likely help you to know if you have to pay all the fees (schooling and jumper fee)

SkipChange
Nov. 21, 2011, 06:28 PM
The drug fee is for drug testing as you suspected. They don't test every horse, but I do wish they tested more as much as they charge.

The schooling fee is how the show can afford to bring their staff down and have everything set up a day (sometimes 2) early for you to school over before the show.

The office fee is to pay for office staff to organize everything and have your show bill printed, adds and scratches, etc done in a timely manner.

USEF fee I assume is for their trouble to keep up with your points etc for the show but I really have no idea there.

The nominating fee ensures a pool of money large enough to pay out the purses.

....all that said, I hate all those fees too!

CenterStage123
Nov. 21, 2011, 07:26 PM
I;m not buying the explanation for the nominating fee. At a show I just sent in an entry form for, I had to pay a $50 nominating fee for the children's jumpers. Two of the classes are $30 each, and offer no prize money. The classic is $185 to enter, and the winner only wins $200! So where exactly is my $50 going?!

CHT
Nov. 21, 2011, 07:32 PM
Think of the nominating fee in jumpers as the base rate fee. This covers what the show expects its fixed rate expenses per jumper horse to be such as insurance, jump judge and so on. Then you pay entry fees based on the classes you actually enter. This is so you have some flexibility over what classes you go in while giving the show an idea of its income.

S A McKee
Nov. 21, 2011, 07:44 PM
The classic is $185 to enter, and the winner only wins $200! So where exactly is my $50 going?!

Sorry not buying that.

If the class has more than $500 then the following applies:

"the last place must at least equal the start fee"