PDA

View Full Version : Tall, Slim Field Boots- UPDATE: Going Custom

RMR-AK
Nov. 20, 2011, 02:44 PM
I'm looking for new field boots (height: 19 in, calf: 13 in, foot: 8.5-9). Any suggestions for brands that may have my size without being fully custom made boots? Sergio Grasso was suggested to me but I wasn't sure what else was out there.

mymy
Nov. 20, 2011, 04:00 PM
I'm a 19in height 13 calf size 8 foot.I was in a store and tried on some new Treadstep field boots.They cost about 250 and their name began with a D.They were amazing. Softer than my Segio Grasso boots. Try to find these boots. They were tall enough and felt like someone had kindly broken them in.

JMarcyQuay
Nov. 20, 2011, 04:04 PM
Thanks for posting -- i actually am having the same problem, but my calves are more like 14". The tredsteps do fit? Smartpak sizing says the height is more like 18" and a bit, I was worried about it being too short...

BrookdaleBay
Nov. 20, 2011, 10:17 PM
I have the Ariat Challenge II and I love them, the most comfortable boot I have worn and ridden in. They are 19" high and 14" calf, size 7.

lucyeq
Nov. 20, 2011, 10:27 PM
I don't know my measurements exactly off the top of my head, but they're very similar to, if not exactly like, yours. I got Vogels and never looked back! They're fantastic. I tried on boot after boot, but they were all too wide in the calf if they fit in the foot. If I'd looked a little harder, I'm sure I could have found something, but I was fed up and bought Vogels. Love them.

Canaqua
Nov. 21, 2011, 07:22 AM
My measurements are almost identical to yours, maybe a slightly bigger foot, as I'm a consistent size 9. The Beval Puissance boots fit me well in size 9, with a 32cm calf and 50cm height. The size 9 is fairly generous, so you might be better off in an 8.5. They fit, out of the box, just a bit too tight and a bit too tall, just the way you want them ;). They are expensive, but Beval has a 20% off sale every February, so that's when I bought them. That size was special order and not in stock, they told me it would take 6-8 weeks, but they arrived in three weeks. I really haven't found anything else off the shelf that fit me, the Ariats don't really come quite slim enough in the calf.

SolarFlare
Nov. 21, 2011, 08:40 AM
I have almost identical measurements to the OP, except my calf is 13.5".

I also have the Beval Puissance boots in a Euro 39 (8.5) and they fit really well. I do wish I had gotten one height taller, but the Beval rep told me the regular height would be fine. They are not embarrassing but ideally should be a little higher. If you go that route, OP, get the tall height. And yes, wait for the 20% off sale too!

I have tried on the Tredstone boots (the Tuscany) and they didn't fit me as well as I had hoped. The ankle looks really slim, but it was too big on, and the calf was not slim enough. I do have really thin ankles though, so it would be worth you trying.

The other ones I've been eyeing up are the Tredstep Da Vincis. I have the Tredstep Giotto paddock boots and really like them. The foot fits fairly generously so you would need the Euro 39 (8-8.5) and the slim/tall. Check out the sizing chart - they actually make them *too* slim for what we would need - first time I have ever seen that!

http://www.smartpakequine.com/tredstep-da-vinci-field-boot-9484p.aspx?cm_sp=Category-_-TopPick-_-9484

Go Fish
Nov. 21, 2011, 01:44 PM
You have to add in extra for drop. That varies with each manufacturer and the type of leather, zippers, no zippers, lined, not lined, etc.

I'm nearly 21" with skinny, skinny calves and ankles. I have to go custom.

If you can swing the cost, that's what I'd do.

RMR-AK
Jul. 18, 2012, 08:49 AM
After taking time to try all of the off-the-rack brands (e.g. Ariat, Tredstep, Beval, Sergio, etc.), it appears that I will have to go custom for my field boots. I've been considering the following brands: Vogel, Der Dau, and Dehners. I've noticed in a few other threads that Dehner's seem to hold up for quite a while; however, they do not recommend putting zippers on their boots (?). Anyone have any other suggestions? Comments on the three brands that I listed? I'm not currently showing and don't have plans to show more than once a month in the future but I still would like a durable, long-lasting field boot.

BAC
Jul. 18, 2012, 11:42 AM
Dehner doesn't recommend zippers because they know they will break, sooner rather than later, most likely, so they are just warning you. I have a pair of custom Dehner dress boots that are still gorgeous and are about 45 years old, although only about 10 years of showing in them. Dehners are my favorite, but DerDau does some beautiful boots and so does Vogel, I just hear too many fitting disasters about Vogel's boots.

If you really want zippers do the ones that are inside the calf and towards the front, like the dressage people do. They won't break that way, and you don't see the zippers when you're on the horse. That is the only way my local tack shop will put in zippers, they refuse doing back zippers because of the breakage problems.

BAC
Jul. 18, 2012, 11:47 AM
I'm not currently showing and don't have plans to show more than once a month in the future but I still would like a durable, long-lasting field boot.

Durability depends mostly on the type of leather used. That baby calf used in Ariat Monacos and other popular high end boots is so easy to break in because its so thin and soft. Looks gorgeous but it wears out very quickly. You can get a stunning, excellent quality calf that will last through years of hard use if they are well cared for if you order your boots in French calf (but not "baby" calf). As I said in my previous post, my French calf Dehners are still in show ready condition after all these years. Getting a full lining helps too, although they are a little harder to break in at first. Once they are broken in though, they will hold up better, and not drop and wrinkle as much either.

Even more durable, but kind of ugly, is the domestic leather that Dehner offers. It is less expensive but good for everyday use.