PDA

View Full Version : jumps for kids?

Mayaty02
Nov. 20, 2011, 01:49 PM
Hi = my daughter has her heart set on some jumps she can jump in our backyard (sans pony)... anyone have sources for these items?

newenglandnative
Nov. 20, 2011, 02:24 PM
http://www.kidjumps.net/pages/kidjumps.html

When I was young I used to always set up jumps in my house for myself...and my dog...and cats. :lol:

bits619
Nov. 20, 2011, 02:44 PM
You can also find dog agility jumps online at places like amazon... For me as a kid it was the wooden pole that secured the sliding glass door closed, or hula hoops. Also my dog was a willing horse for many years :-)

thechestnutmare
Nov. 20, 2011, 02:55 PM
I used to put tree limbs on top of chairs!

HGem
Nov. 20, 2011, 04:32 PM
Those are some elaborate kid jumps! I used a broom stick and buckets or chairs growing up (and for my dog!).

llsc
Nov. 20, 2011, 04:44 PM
You can very easily make some with PVC and duct tape for stripes. Hubby made my girls a bunch last year for Christmas. Cost about $50.00 for 6 jumps.

vacation1
Nov. 20, 2011, 05:30 PM
Clothesline poles on chairs or picnic table benches on end. My childhood dog was my junior hunter... For a 30lb dog, she was damn good, too! She could clear the picnic table on end, not just the benches.

Donkerbruin
Nov. 20, 2011, 07:13 PM
I always put a broom across a couple of chairs in the living room. My mother sure loved that!

Eggplant_Dressing
Nov. 20, 2011, 07:23 PM
Painting a Dowel rod and putting it across two buckets or chairs would be fun.

Or instead of buckets & chairs, Baskin Robbins gives away empty ice cream drums they could paint to match.

Happyhooves
Nov. 20, 2011, 07:40 PM
Try Jumps West. That's where we got ours, a set of three cute ones. We've lent them out so many times to kids with horsey themed birthday parties in their backyards. They also made a great photo shoot with a bunch of little ones and ponies. The Jack Russell has had quite a career jumping them in the backyard with my kid and the neighborhood kids.

Rafiki
Nov. 20, 2011, 07:49 PM
Google "directions for dog agility jumps" and you will get lots of plans for great jumps made out of PVC pipe. I've made quite a few and they are pretty simple to create. Decorate your pvc pipe with stripes of colored electrical tape and you're good to go.

We also bought fancier dog agility jumps (cool standards) for not that much money (if memory serves). Again, just google dog agility jumps.

Rafiki

myalter1
Nov. 21, 2011, 06:11 AM
I used to put tree limbs on top of chairs!

me too!

Mayaty02 i literally laughed out loud when i read this, since we were just talking about it Saturday! HAHA HA i knew you would given it and get some!

I'd offer to build you some, but...well..mine are NOT the fanciest...DD barely jumps them (prob b.c i wont ccanter around the backyard with her and there's no little ones here to play with her!)

Mayaty02
Nov. 21, 2011, 07:08 AM
yeah she probably won't do it by herself, but she does have a brother ;) and I figure it's good exercise. neither hubby nor i are handy so not sure the homemade ones will work. But $300 I am not spending :eek:

myalter1
Nov. 21, 2011, 07:49 AM
ha ha ha ha yes, i hear you there. DD wants ME to drag them out of the wood shed, set them up, AND jump them with her. Of course, if i moved them to the barn, i am sure they would get used!

S1969
Nov. 21, 2011, 07:56 AM
I would just make a few "rails" out of PVC pipe and you can stripe them with colored duct tape. They could be set up on just about anything as x-rails or small verticals (you could even paint some cardboard boxes white, etc.) Whatever you put them on the striped rails will make them feel like real jumps. :)

Lion1024
Nov. 21, 2011, 12:07 PM
Is there a trade school local to you? The carpentry school around here will build you just about anything. The kids need the experience and the school needs the money!

ohrebecca
Nov. 21, 2011, 12:14 PM
yeah she probably won't do it by herself, but she does have a brother ;) and I figure it's good exercise. neither hubby nor i are handy so not sure the homemade ones will work. But $300 I am not spending :eek:

You could make it a family activity and have fun painting/taping the poles, though! It wouldn't be super hard to get together a few fun jumps :) They don't need to be Olympic quality, after all!