View Full Version : Shin splints

Hunter Mom
Nov. 19, 2011, 10:52 PM
Does anyone else get these when you ride? I have dealt with them off and on since I was a teenager, and sometimes they get worse when I ride, especially after I've been "off" for a bit. Are there any stretches or something to do to lessen the issues?

FWIW, I ride in traditional stirrups. I used to ride in jointed, but after riding in peacocks for a while after anohter injury, I switched back to traditional to help my base of support. My boy has a pretty concussive jump, so I need all that I can get. I do have the super comfort pads which I love.

Nov. 19, 2011, 11:12 PM
What I found to helped stretch and relieve some discomfort was to stand flat footed and rise up onto my toes hold it 30 seconds or so and repeat a couple of reps. Filling a small dixie cup half way with water and freezing also made icing much easier.

Nov. 22, 2011, 12:35 PM
YES. I get them especially once the weather starts to cool off. I actually lenghtened my stirrups a hole (no worries, they could have used the length anyway - they are not too long now) to relieve some of the pressure that was caused by my cranking my heel down in shorter stirrups. I also take a lot of walk breaks to stretch them out.