PDA

View Full Version : Bridle woes.....

CrimsonInClover
Nov. 19, 2011, 07:11 PM
Apparently my mare is in between a horse size and cob sized bridle :sigh: I am on my third bridle to be returned to Smart Pak because they just don't fit. The Harwich horse is too big in the throat latch and the cheek pieces have to be put all the way up. The nose band fits fine. The cob sized Harwich is way too small. I think if I could have a cob size crown piece and the rest of the bridle be horse size it would be fine. Smark Pak currently doesn't offer the option of just buying one part so I need to find somewhere that might. Justbridles.com does, but unfortunately those bridles in my price range ($250 total including reins) are out of stock in the combo's I need, or they have cob in one color and horse in another. I also need to take into consideration the fact that I am having such a hard time finding a bridle to fit so good return policies are a must. Suggestions are GREATLY appreciated!

ToTheNines
Nov. 19, 2011, 07:56 PM
Call justbridles.com. The young lady there put together a bridle for me of partly full size and partly cob size parts. If you tell her about your horse, she will know what to do.

Sorry, just saw you tried that... did you call her? She is really sharp.

Pasde2
Nov. 19, 2011, 08:04 PM
Call justbridles.com. The young lady there put together a bridle for me of partly full size and partly cob size parts. If you tell her about your horse, she will know what to do.

This is true of just about any bridle manufacturer in the world - you should be able to get the bridle you want, composed of the specific parts you want. What brands does your local tack shop carry? They'll have catalogues and be able to place an order for you (some manufacturers will sell only to their retail outlets).

Good luck, and persevere - one of my horses requires a full-size crownpiece and cheeks, an oversize browband, a cob-size cavesson, and extra-long reins. I now have enough bridles to stock a small tack shop, but years ago I would just go to whomever was carrying Courbette bridles and tell them exactly what I wanted.

This is also a nice way to avoid (often) unwanted items like a flash noseband. You might end up paying a little extra for items like extra-long reins, but it's still going to work out to a lot less than buying TWO bridles and cobbling together ONE working one! Some - quite a few - people have resorted to that, but it's way too costly and it's just not necessary.

Good luck! Been there, and it's frustrating, but there's a way out.

Herbie19
Nov. 19, 2011, 09:08 PM
Welcome to my world!

www.saddlersrow.com

You can custom build Edgewoods on this site.

Star's Ascent
Nov. 19, 2011, 09:49 PM
I had a horse that was an oversize in length I believe but needed horse sized brow and nose. Maybe the other way around. I haven't had the horse for a couple years. Now the filly that I have is also an in between-er. She is a cob/horse also. I've just stuck with a cob and made it work. She is in between in her halters too.

BAC
Nov. 19, 2011, 10:08 PM
Its not a big deal to get bridle parts swapped, many manufacturers or tack shops will do that.

Beval will swap out parts, and they have bridles in every price range, plus a great return policy. Also try Farmhouse, www.farmhousetack.com (http://www.farmhousetack.com), very accommodating with the best customer service ever and everything can be returned.