PDA

View Full Version : Spin-off: Do you use a clean saddle pad for every ride?

pm59
Nov. 19, 2011, 09:13 AM
I do, and the nylon fuzzy girth as well, even in the winter. And I don't share saddle pads between my two ponies, just a weird habit of mine, but I love how a nice clean saddle pad looks under the saddle. I also wash the polos after every ride. I have about 10 saddle pads that fit my daughters 13" short flap saddle and they get washed after every use. With two ponies I usually wash horse laundry twice a week.

harkington
Nov. 19, 2011, 09:23 AM
I generally switch saddle pads after about 3 or 4 "sweaty" rides- so like summer or hard schooling, etc. This winter tends to get pushed to about 6 rides... sometimes even 10 if we're not doing all that much that is constructive and sweat-worthy. I always hang them to dry in between rides and my horse is usually pretty clean so I find this routine works well. Fuzzy girth is done every second time I change saddle pads.

supaflyskye
Nov. 19, 2011, 10:23 AM
No.
I used to when I was at a barn that did not charge for use of their washing machine, everybody communally washed each others things. I'd stick a load in every day.
The barn I'm at now includes laundry service in their full service/training board, but I only pay for basic board, so I'm responsible for washing my things at home. I live in an apartment building w/ a coin laundry room ...so things don't get done every day.
I wash my 4 saddle pads every couple weeks. the probably get around 3-4 rides each before a wash.

Punkie
Nov. 19, 2011, 10:27 AM
Yes, we use fresh baby pads for every single ride, every single time. We also use neoprene girths so they can be hosed between each ride and have enough boots that we can do the same as well. I have never and will never reuse saddle pads, not even at shows...I know I don't want to wear the same sweaty britches two days in a row, so I wouldn't put the same dirty pad on my horse.

reay6790
Nov. 19, 2011, 10:36 AM
err i don't wash bw every ride. especially if it looks rather clean. or if the horse is disgusting and dusty...i'm not going to waste a new pad on him.

but i am also the person who rides in the same breeches a few times before washing...maybe that has something to do with it?

SquishTheBunny
Nov. 19, 2011, 10:41 AM
Im horrible. I dont wash mine very often. But the horse doesnt sweat either - sweating requires effort and he's not "for" effort.

supaflyskye
Nov. 19, 2011, 10:41 AM
but i am also the person who rides in the same breeches a few times before washing...maybe that has something to do with it?

same!

KitKat987
Nov. 19, 2011, 10:42 AM
In the summer when they're sweaty, probably use the same pad for 3 or 4 rides. If they sweated through it or anything it'll only get used the once. Winter when they barely break a sweat, could be a week or two depending on their level of grunginess.

My horses each have their own pads. I don't share between them. My horses are black and grey and one time I rode a chestnut for someone else and had no choice but to use my own pad. Gosh I was horrified. I had to wash it at least 3 times to get all those orange hairs out! Never again! I don't share well, I admit it ;) Outside horse cooties and all....

Janet
Nov. 19, 2011, 11:18 AM
Depends on your definition of "clean".

If the horse sweats at all I thoroughly rinse the pad and hang it up to die. But they don't go in the washing machine very often.

Similarly I rinse off the neoprene girth if the horse sweats at all.

I don't wash my britches every ride either.

Brooke
Nov. 19, 2011, 11:23 AM
I switch pads between horses on a given day. If the pad is just a little damp and not really 'dirty', I'll air it out and use it then next day. And I usually wash every other day or so.

Big_Grey_hunter
Nov. 19, 2011, 11:25 AM
I have abou 20 saddle pads (it's a problem, I know). I use a new saddle pad every ride, every horse in the spring/summer/fall, but in the winter I might stretch it to 3 rides if they don't get sweaty. I'm a college student, but I live close to home, so I just go home every weekend to wash saddle pads. When all three horses were sound, I was using 15+ saddle pads a week! My girths are mostly synthetic, so I just sponge them off when they get grungy. People at my barn tease me because my car has become a mobile tack trunk and looks a tad trashy, with dirty and clean tack and saddle pads spilling out every time I open the doors :lol:

hannahpony9
Nov. 19, 2011, 11:36 AM
I don't unless it's summer time and the horse sweats alot and makes it really dirty. But I usually get a few rides out of them until they are really dirty.

DressageOverFences
Nov. 19, 2011, 11:46 AM
I used to when I was at a barn that had a washing machine, everyones stuff went in to the same load usually and it was great to have fresh white polos and pads everyday.
now im at a barn with no laundry machine and I dont have a washing machine where I live so its not so easy anymore to keep everything freshly laundered. Ive just bought a few extra sets of polos and try to make everything last as long as possible before I have to take it to the laundromat.

Silk
Nov. 19, 2011, 12:05 PM
I dont even wear clean clothes for every ride ;)

indygirl2560
Nov. 19, 2011, 12:22 PM
I try to. If I school my horse and the pad doesn't get really dirty and sweaty, then I will use it again. If it gets gross, it goes in my laundry pile at the bottom of my locker. Once I have a substantial amount of saddle pads in the pile, they get washed.

oharabear
Nov. 19, 2011, 12:26 PM
I use saddle pads until they get visibly dirty or the horse I used it on gets really sweaty. Sometimes if it's borderline dirty, I'll take a body brush to it and call it a day- works very well. :lol:

That said, I have about 15 saddle pads between my 3 riding horses (only 2 of which are in regular work), so I only really do laundry once every couple weeks. Especially in the winter when they just don't get that sweaty.

I also will wear the same pair of breeches for several rides before washing. ;)

saultgirl
Nov. 19, 2011, 12:29 PM
No, I use them until they are dirty, and then I wash them. When they are sweaty they are always hung up to dry. To me it sounds like a huge waste of water, soap, electricity, and time to do them every ride.

Mukluk
Nov. 19, 2011, 01:37 PM
I have slightly over a weeks worth of baby pads so I almost always use a new one every ride. I will use again if it didn't get very sweaty and still appears white. Keeps my normal saddle pad much cleaner so I don't have to wash it nearly as often. I use a nylon girth with fleece lining for everyday and it gets washed about 1x per week or if visibly icky. I have a second one so I can easily switch them out. My favorite tack item is my biothane long riders breastplate- throw in the wash and it comes out like new. Wish I could do that with my leather items!

CaliZ
Nov. 19, 2011, 01:49 PM
I use saddle pads until they get visibly dirty or the horse I used it on gets really sweaty. Sometimes if it's borderline dirty, I'll take a body brush to it and call it a day- works very well. :lol:

I also will wear the same pair of breeches for several rides before washing. ;)

This:yes: Same visibly dirt rule for breeches. I hate laundry.

bits619
Nov. 19, 2011, 02:20 PM
I make mine/my trainer's last a few rides at least. All get hung out to dry and brushed off with a stiff brush.

hequestrian
Nov. 19, 2011, 02:56 PM
I only use my pads on one horse. I have about 20 baby pads... A problem I know. I also don't have a washing machine at the barn I'm at right now or at my apartment so I generally try to use the 5 pads I keep in circulation at a time 3 times before washing. In the summer I only used them once if my horse got overly sweaty. Now I circulate and let them air out between rides. If my horse is very gross or the pad gets very dirty I wash it sooner rather than later.

I use a leather girth or a Kincaid fluffy girth and if my horse gets super sweaty the girth is hosed off and washed after that ride but if not then just once a week. I want one of the Letitia neoprene type births badly but I'm not going to buy it right now as I am in the market for a new horse and it more than likely won't need a girth that's the same size as my boy now.

As for boots... They are used multiple times and then hosed/ washed. And with polos if I use them I use them 3 or 4 times before washing. But I rarely use polos.

That being said- I don't wash my breeches after every ride either... I normally wear them a few times especially in the fall, spring, and winter when I am not sweating as much. In the summer my breeches only last a ride or two.

Lord Helpus
Nov. 19, 2011, 02:58 PM
I don't wash my saddle pad after every ride, but I do wash my horse after every ride.

My pads may get sweaty, but dirty? Not so much. I let them dry and then brush them with a stiff brush.

They get washed after every 5 - 10 rides.

Sing Mia Song
Nov. 19, 2011, 03:43 PM
I don't clean my tack after each ride, as mentioned on the other thread, but I do tend to use a fresh pad every time. My horses are at home, and I have a ton of baby pads, so I generally use a fresh one and then bring it back in with me when I go back to the house. When I get a big enough collection, I do a load of laundry.

crazyhorses
Nov. 19, 2011, 03:58 PM
I use a new pad every three or four rides. If she gets really sweaty, then I'll use a new one. If it gets really sweaty then it like... gets... really hard. And that's not what padding is supposed to do LOL. But I have quite a few saddle pads, so I don't end up washing them that often lol

SkipHiLad4me
Nov. 19, 2011, 05:36 PM
It usually don't. If they get sweaty but still look fairly clean, I'll just hang them up to dry. Sometimes I might take a stiff brush to them after they're dry if there's some sweat/hair caked on in spots. I usually get 2-3 rides out of one pad before it's dirty enough to wash. Most of the time, I can hang my fluffy girth up to dry and then use the stiff brush on it later to get it clean again if there's any dirt dried on. Sometimes I'll just rinse it off but if it gets dingy enough that it needs rinsing I'll usually bring it home and throw it in the washer.

Cacique
Nov. 19, 2011, 06:01 PM
Yes, but I used baby pads and half pads usually (for this reason, in part). The only exception is at week-long away shows we extend their use as much as possible, or if it was a light hack/trail ride since I am an OCD groom and the horses are always clean enough that after a very light ride they are still clean. I also use easy to wash and durable half pads so when they get dirty they get washed no question. Polos get washed as soon as they look the slightest bit dirty, so usually only a few rides in between washing. It's called OCD, I accept it as a part of my life. :lol:

Bravestrom
Nov. 19, 2011, 06:29 PM
Usually 3 or 4 rides for a pad - my son is an environmental scientist and he would have a fit if we washed all our pads every time. Only the show pads get washed after every use. But when we wash pads it is usually a big wash as there are three of us riding on a regular basis.

GraceLikeRain
Nov. 19, 2011, 06:31 PM
I the summer I switch pads every ride or every other ride since my mare is a heavy sweater. In the dead of winter I might go as long as 4 rides but she also tends to be dustier because the longer hairs trap dust so they get dirty even if she doesn't sweat a lot.

I know some people who wash their pads once every few months and that really grosses me out.

doublesstable
Nov. 19, 2011, 07:21 PM
I have about 15 white pads and put only clean ones on to ride.

Girths I use are sheep skin so I do brush them off with a stiff brush and wash them when they begin not to brush off well.

Polos; I should wash them more than I do but I do alternate with clean"er" ones.

Reminds me I need to wash pads :)

FlightCheck
Nov. 19, 2011, 08:27 PM
I live in Florida, and cannot imagine wearing the same breeches more than once before washing. Don't you people sweat?

Hunter Mom
Nov. 19, 2011, 09:22 PM
Definitely a difference between summer and winter. Summer - pads get nasty sweaty and so are washed each ride. Same with breeches. When they're soaked through it's hard to not do so. Not to mention, they stink! During winter, not as much sweating takes place for me or my horse, so things may get washed a little less frequently. My horse is also blanketed year-round, so that also helps to keep him from getting his pads as dirty.

RugBug
Nov. 19, 2011, 10:04 PM
I don't use baby pads, but the thicker square pads. They aren't easy on the washing machine. I rotate through my 15 or so pads and then when done, take 'em to the launromat. I go about three or four times a year. You do the math on how many rides that equals per pad.

I know I don't want to wear the same sweaty britches two days in a row, so I wouldn't put the same dirty pad on my horse.

Hah...I shouldn't tell you how long my breeches go between washings. Let's just say I ride 5 days a week and have two pairs of schooling breeches. I do laundry about twice a month.

No, I use them until they are dirty, and then I wash them. When they are sweaty they are always hung up to dry. To me it sounds like a huge waste of water, soap, electricity, and time to do them every ride.

This.

I live in Florida, and cannot imagine wearing the same breeches more than once before washing. Don't you people sweat?

Nope. At least not like you do. It's usually a balmy/cool 65 or so degrees at my barn in the spring, summer and fall. I sweat under my helmet and a bit when I ride, but not through breeches. I wash my breeches when they are visibly dirty. Other than that, they stay in the rotation.

Mukluk
Nov. 19, 2011, 10:07 PM
I remember when horse camping for a week I only bring about three pads and wash them in biodegradeable soap so I have a nice clean one each ride. Horsey and me only want to rough it so much.

BAC
Nov. 19, 2011, 10:21 PM
err i don't wash bw every ride. especially if it looks rather clean. or if the horse is disgusting and dusty...i'm not going to waste a new pad on him.

Yuck, do you wear the same underwear every day too? If the horse is disgusting and dusty, why not groom him first? Putting a dirty saddle pad on top of a dirty horse is not healthy for him and can lead to sores or skin issues.

Little.Wing
Nov. 19, 2011, 10:45 PM
Absolutely.

Star's Ascent
Nov. 19, 2011, 11:14 PM
RugBug I'm with you. I too only have 2 pairs of schooling breeches and am not about to do the laundry every day. Not having a ton of extra money I have to prioritize what I need and generally things for the horse come before me, but that does not include excess saddle pads either. My husband also prefers that I keep my dirty hairy horse stuff out of the washer as much as possible as well as not spending a ton of money on horse stuff. He would not understand the concept of a new pad each day. (Having been a Marine his philosophy for when the horse gets hurt is the same thing he got told, light duty, water and ibprofen.So you can see what I"m dealing with) I haven't spent much time at high end barns but I have never been around people that use a different pad each time or people that clean their tack each time for that matter (I'm one of those of the mind that doing too much full cleaning/conditioning could harm it. I have some older stuff and been sporadic at cleaning and its fine) My horse gets to go outside and be in the dirt and I groom her before and after every ride, so she is clean but its not going to keep the dirt that hasn't come off from getting on the pad. I've never had a problem with sores or any other type of skin issues under saddle pads. But where I am we get hot but not humid and that could make a difference too. In the summer she gets sprayed off after riding when its hot out. It may not be some people's idea of clean or hygienic I guess but that's the way we've always done it and have had no problems with it. I don't know if that makes me a bad mommy or not.

cottonXCblondie
Nov. 19, 2011, 11:48 PM
Im horrible. I dont wash mine very often. But the horse doesnt sweat either - sweating requires effort and he's not "for" effort.

:lol: this. i use the same one for a few rides and create a laundry pile and then finally wash them all.

Aliascml
Nov. 20, 2011, 12:04 AM
I use a saddle pad a few times before washing it, unless it is visibly dirty. I always hang them up to dry after I ride and then later see if they can be used again.

lucyeq
Nov. 20, 2011, 12:49 AM
Y'all make me feel guilty! I only wash pads once they get visibly nasty. I would probably estimate I use each pad 6-10 times. I only do horsey laundry every few months because I have about fifteen pads :D It's a problem, I know. Girths get washed more often.

Dewey
Nov. 20, 2011, 07:22 AM
Y'all make me feel guilty! I only wash pads once they get visibly nasty. I would probably estimate I use each pad 6-10 times. I only do horsey laundry every few months because I have about fifteen pads :D It's a problem, I know. Girths get washed more often.

Don't feel guilty. Hanging a used pad up to dry and then brushing off hair and dirt before re-using is perfectly fine. I get six or eight rides out of a pad that way, fewer in summer.

enjoytheride
Nov. 20, 2011, 07:51 AM
I don't wash my blue jeans every time I wear them so I do the same with my breeches. If I'm sweating in them then I'll wash them for sure, but in the winter when I'm wearing long johns under them and yoga pants over them they don't get washed that often.

I take my pads home and wash them if they get sweaty on the horse, but otherwise I'll wash them when they look dirty.

I always use a clean pad and breeches for lessons, clinics and shows.

I have a neoprene girth and I'll hose it off if it's sweaty or I have a clinic/lesson/show.

AmmyByNature
Nov. 20, 2011, 09:25 AM
I'm in the "wash when dirty" camp. In the summer, everything gets washed a lot more frequently. In the winter, everything gets washed a lot less. An easy 30 minute hack on a blanketed and body clipped horse in the dead of winter does not transfer enough dirt or sweat (actually it transfers NO dirt and NO sweat) to make me wash my baby pads after every ride.

Ditto my breeches. I definitely wear them more than once, assuming I haven't had a particularly sweaty or slobbery day at the barn. (I also wear my jeans more than once -- actually wearing jeans multiple times between washings is recommended http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/569/the-when-to-wash-it-handbook/)

But yes, I do wear clean underwear every day, for those of you who seemed concerned ;)

jump4me
Nov. 20, 2011, 09:36 AM
I wash saddle pads, girths, and horse boots (and the nylon part of breakaway halters) when they get dirty, whether its after one ride or several rides.

I don't wear clean jeans/sweatshirts every day either.