PDA

View Full Version : Do you clean tack after every ride?

SkipHiLad4me
Nov. 18, 2011, 03:23 PM
If so, is it a full scale cleaning or more of a wipe down? What products do you use?

AmmyByNature
Nov. 18, 2011, 03:26 PM
I clean my tack after *most* rides. I admit that sometimes I don't clean it... (If I am borrowing anything from anyone else, though, I always clean it!)

I use a liquid glycerine soap and a sponge most times. Sometimes there's a bottle of conditioner in the tack room and I'll use that. I very very infrequently have to use oil. I can't remember the last time I used it on anything that wasn't brand new.

I usually just wipe it down and do the top of my saddle flaps. Once a week I'll do under my saddle flaps and I'll unbuckle buckles, but I don't do that every day.

AdrenalineJunky
Nov. 18, 2011, 03:31 PM
I try to give everything a full cleaning after every ride since it makes it easier then just cleaning once a week but at the very least I always wipe my saddle down, clean my girth, and clean my bit. I use Amerigo soft clean for most leather and CWD saddle conditioner for my saddle.

supaflyskye
Nov. 18, 2011, 03:32 PM
I clean my tack after every ride.
I just wipe it down, I only take leathers off/bridle apart/etc and clean thoroughly about every week.
I wipe down w/ a damp sponge and then w/ the barn's readily available tack cleaner(murphy's oil soap and lexol mixed).
When I clean thoroughly I usually use either Leather Therapy or Effax, sometimes Farnam Leather New.

Credosporthorses
Nov. 18, 2011, 03:32 PM
I'm sure my tack would appreciate a cleaning after every use... I'm sure it would even settle for a weekly cleaning. Self admittedly I'm terrible at cleaning my tack :/ but when I do it's a pretty good cleaning. I really like the stubben soap and follow it up with the hammanol. Any of the effax products are good too

OveroHunter
Nov. 18, 2011, 03:35 PM
...I think about cleaning my tack after every ride... Does that count? :D

SkipHiLad4me
Nov. 18, 2011, 03:37 PM
I'm sure my tack would appreciate a cleaning after every use... I'm sure it would even settle for a weekly cleaning. Self admittedly I'm terrible at cleaning my tack :/

Me too!! Which is why I thought that if I saw how many people posted that they cleaned after every ride I'd be motivated to start doing it more often myself :lol: I like the effax products too.

SkipHiLad4me
Nov. 18, 2011, 03:41 PM

YES - because often I don't even *think* of cleaning mine which is not very horsemanship-like of me! :no:

Herbie19
Nov. 18, 2011, 03:44 PM
Yes! I use Belvoir tack cleaner (in the spray bottle) and a damp sponge--I actually wet the sponge and blot it with a towel to avoid putting too much water on my tack.

Lucassb
Nov. 18, 2011, 03:52 PM
Yes, I clean my tack after every ride. If you do it on a daily basis it's not a big production and only takes a minute or two. Normally I just use a barely damp sponge and some Belvoir (glycerine) soap.

hequestrian
Nov. 18, 2011, 04:00 PM
I do not. I try to wipe it down after most rides but it normally only ends up being every second or third ride. I only take my tack apart and clean it maybe once a month. Probably not the best method but as I wipe it down pretty thoroughly a few times a week it's never that dirty. I use one of the bars of saddle soap. Not sure what brand... And then ocassionally Murphy's oil/ water. I have conditioner for the times when I do a deeper clean and I have found that If you have a piece of tack (for me it's a specific noseband) that gets very dry then I put cocoa butter cream on it... it works really really well in keeping it supple. I don't put it on my Edgewood or anything but it does a fine job for my schooling tack that needs some tlc.

I need motivation to clean my tack more often as well!

BAC
Nov. 18, 2011, 04:18 PM
Most of the time I clean my tack after every ride, and I always take the bridle apart. If I'm pressed for time I might just wipe it down with a damp sponge but that's rare. For everyday cleaning I use Effax Leder Combi, its quick, cleans thoroughly and doesn't leave any residue. I have an assortment of other products I like to use, Belvoir cleaner and glycerine, Tattersal's, Amerigo's Soft Clean and all the Effax products. My favorite conditioners are Akene, CWD cream conditioner and Effax Lederbalsam.

Losgelassenheit
Nov. 18, 2011, 04:21 PM
Yes! Just one more thing instilled at an early age.. I knew if I ever neglected to clean my tack, my trainers would have toasted me over an open flame. :winkgrin: One basting me while the other stood turning the spit! :lol: Over the years it's just become a routine part of my "winding-down" process at the end of a long day. I can't even stand the thought of anyone else doing it for fear it's not "done right".

I wipe everything down with a damp sponge first, then rinse the sponge out & squeeze in a towel, then apply glycerine. I polish the bits at the end. Once a week or so I'll oil with Neatsfoot oil, or use a conditioner such as Leather Therapy or Lexol.

Credosporthorses
Nov. 18, 2011, 04:25 PM
:eek:
Me too!! Which is why I thought that if I saw how many people posted that they cleaned after every ride I'd be motivated to start doing it more often myself :lol: I like the effax products too.

Glad to know I'm not the only one! The timing of this thread is hillarious, I brought ALL my stuff home last night and sat infront of the tv for 3 hours cleaning away. Looks soo much better now! If only I had the motivation to do simple cleaning more often.

bits619
Nov. 18, 2011, 04:29 PM
I ride 2-4x/week, and horsey gets ridden once more by his owner/trainer some weeks, too. I wipe it down with a barely damp cloth once a week, and every two weeks put some saddle soap on it, too. If he's been particularly sweaty, I'll clean more thoroughly. I almost always clean the bit completely after each ride.

As far as conditioner I'm not certain which one I've used on the saddle/bridle. I think it was lederbasalm or whatever that is called.
Whenever I bust out the soap I go ahead and clean the boots on my feet, too. However, now that I think of it, my boots are looking a little rough, so I should probably clean the saddle and bridle next time I get to the barn! (I also put Neatsfoot oil on the boots occasionally)

lizathenag
Nov. 18, 2011, 04:32 PM
I clean my tack now and then. I spend more time cleaning my horse.

Chaotic Chloe
Nov. 18, 2011, 04:56 PM
Who has the time to clean tack after evey ride?:eek:

*Liz*
Nov. 18, 2011, 04:57 PM
I clean my tack after every ride. Really, more of a wipe-down with a damp cloth. I wipe down bridle, girth, saddle, boots, and I CLEAN my bits and wrap my bridles every ride. Mostly, I'm interested in removing sweat and dust and mud. This only takes me a few minutes. I clean/condition my tack every few weeks or so.

supaflyskye
Nov. 18, 2011, 05:02 PM
Who has the time to clean tack after evey ride?:eek:

It only takes 5 or 10 minutes at the most to wipe everything down ...

Vesper Sparrow
Nov. 18, 2011, 05:05 PM
More so in the winter, when I'm riding in the indoor and my saddle gets dusty. I wipe it down with a damp cloth or one soaked in Effax. I rinse my bit after every ride and I clean and condition everything thoroughly once a week.

fourmares
Nov. 18, 2011, 05:17 PM
I clean my saddle after almost every ride. Damp sponge first, than less damp sponge with glycerine. I'm not as good about doing the bridles.

indygirl2560
Nov. 18, 2011, 05:18 PM
Yes! I'm obsessive about it since I want my tack to look nice and last a very long time, since I can't afford to replace it.

harkington
Nov. 18, 2011, 06:08 PM
I go with a weekly wipe-down with Horseman's One Step for saddle, bridle and my boots/half chaps. Every month or so (or before every horse show in the summer, so more often then) everything gets taken apart and cleaned with the tiniest bit of warm water, saddle soap and then conditioned.

I do a good, thorough cleaning and oiling once a year- usually over the Thanksgiving holidays followed by a 'quick' but nevertheless solid oiling a few weeks before show season- so around April for me.

Of course, if I ride on a dusty/rainy day or my saddle just seems a bit dirty, I'll do it more often.

Carley Sparks
Nov. 18, 2011, 06:21 PM
Yes! I LOVE cleaning tack (and that is exceptional because I loathe cleaning in general). I wipe and condition the bridle every time I ride (usually with glycerine soap) and always remove and soak the bit. I almost never clean the saddle though. I don't know why. I just don't.

janiemerle
Nov. 18, 2011, 06:31 PM
Yes! I LOVE cleaning tack (and that is exceptional because I loathe cleaning in general). I wipe and condition the bridle every time I ride (usually with glycerine soap) and always remove and soak the bit. I almost never clean the saddle though. I don't know why. I just don't.

:lol: Did I post that? I have a pair of reins right here next to the couch that I'm working on softening. I usually am working on some leather while watching TV.

Janet
Nov. 18, 2011, 07:18 PM
Yes! I'm obsessive about it since I want my tack to look nice and last a very long time, since I can't afford to replace it.
I am very inconsistent about cleaning my tack.

Usually before a show, and once a month or so for the horses that don't show.

Some of my tack is over 40 years old, and still going strong. And a lot more of it is over 25 years old.

As long as you don't let it get really dired out, I don't think "cleaning it every day" is going to make it last that much longer than cleaning it once a month.

ETA - I DO clean the bit every ride. And if the bridle gets covered with sweat, I cleaen that off too.

Trevelyan96
Nov. 18, 2011, 07:36 PM
I try to wipe down my saddle and bridle with a damp cloth after every ride and do a thorough cleaning and conditioning about once a month.

I also nag DD about doing her brand new saddle, but she probably only does it once every few months (after lots of nagging). Sometimes I just do it myself, as I can't stand the thought of it being ruined. :mad: Fortunately, I won't have to pay for the next one!

It is harder to movitivate myself to do it in winter, as I either have to drag everything indoors or suffer cold/wet hands, etc.

theinstigator
Nov. 18, 2011, 09:04 PM
I do try to wipe down my bridles, boots, chaps, and saddle after every ride, though I admit that some days I just don't. I use just a damp sponge, no product. It only takes about ten minutes to give everything a thorough wipedown to remove most of the sweat and surface dirt. My bit always gets washed because I'm one of those who can't stand a dirty bit. I'm also the girl who cannot hang a bridle without putting it in a figure 8. All of my tack comes home for a thorough cleaning/conditioning of castile/glycerine/oil/whatever is needed once every few months, depending on how much riding I'm doing.

I have a very limited budget for tack, so I have to keep what I have nice. :)

Wholehearted
Nov. 18, 2011, 10:16 PM
I wipe down my bridle and girth after every ride with a little bit of glycerin soap and I try to thoroughly clean and condition everything once a week. I really need to get into the habit of also wiping down my saddle after every ride, too.:sadsmile:

jump4me
Nov. 18, 2011, 10:21 PM
I wipe it down after every couple rides (saddle, bridle), but rinse the bit after every use. If I wear my tall boots, they get wiped off every or every other ride. Girths are synthetic, so they go in the wash with saddle pads and horse boots. I thoroughly clean my saddle, I'm gonna say every week and a half or two weeks, or so. Bridle about the same, maybe less. Ii do any of it more often or more thoroughly if it got exceptionally dirty/sweaty/wet/etc.

Mayaty02
Nov. 18, 2011, 10:31 PM
Every single time...sometimes multiple bridles...yep. just a quickclean with belvoir soap and then yes I figure 8 the bridles and put away. I cannot put away dirty tack...simply cannot.

HuntJumpSC
Nov. 19, 2011, 04:48 AM
I do try to wipe down my bridles, boots, chaps, and saddle after every ride, though I admit that some days I just don't. I use just a damp sponge, no product. It only takes about ten minutes to give everything a thorough wipedown to remove most of the sweat and surface dirt. My bit always gets washed because I'm one of those who can't stand a dirty bit. I'm also the girl who cannot hang a bridle without putting it in a figure 8. All of my tack comes home for a thorough cleaning/conditioning of castile/glycerine/oil/whatever is needed once every few months, depending on how much riding I'm doing.

I have a very limited budget for tack, so I have to keep what I have nice. :)

This. I at least wipe mine down every time, and condition well as needed. Bit gets wiped & cleaned, bridle figure 8 and hung neatly. Can't stand the thought of walking out of the barn and leaving my tack in a mess~ most of my stuff is good quality and I want it to last as long as possible. :) What doesn't get used on a regular basis gets a thorough cleaning, conditioning and proper storage.

Amage
Nov. 19, 2011, 06:00 AM
I give my tack a good wipe down after every ride but haven't always done that...the reason I do now is that we are right beside (as in less than 500m) from the beach so everything gets quite salty particularly in winter when there is more moisture in the air. the racehorses bridles get a quick wipe down and once a week get a thorough clean a thick layer of conditioner as they are cantered on the beach daily so the salt/sweat/sand really gets to them! I find the really old bridles seem to cope far better than the more modern, newer leather!

Dewey
Nov. 19, 2011, 09:13 AM
Yes, I give my tack a wipe-down with Leather New after every ride. I clean the bit thoroughly as well. That's my Pony Club training, I guess! I take everything apart for a thorough cleaning about once a month.

Sing Mia Song
Nov. 19, 2011, 09:25 AM
I barely have time to ride (and now, when I leave for work in the dark and come home after dark, my stirrups are hung up for winter), so, no, I don't clean my tack very often. I do, however, always rinse off the bit and any greenies on the flash.

I used to be a real stickler about my tack, having my horses always trimmed up and ready to walk in the show ring, everything perfect in my barn. Then I got married, went to grad school, got a really intense job and you know what? I'm no longer GHM-worthy. My tack is dirty, my horses are furry and my barn is safe and clean, but it doesn't look like a living room. Oh well.

Just read that last paragraph and it sounds snotty, but that's not the way it's intended. I admire those of you who are committed to cleaning your tack after every ride. I just have different priorities now.

Lord Helpus
Nov. 19, 2011, 10:18 AM
Does "cleaning your tack before the next ride" count?

I never get on a horse with dirty a dirty bridle/martingale and girth, but they will often hang on the cleaning hook (over 2 prongs, so the bridle doesn't get a stress bend at the top -- I really DO care :)) until I am ready to ride again. I have my own barn, so I am the only person who has to look at things hanging there.

Since I ride 4 - 5 days a week, they get cleaned fairly often, but only right before they get dirty again.

I wipe down my saddle often, but it only gets a deep cleaning about once a month.

Le Sigh.....

Way back in pony club, I learned that too much conditioning or rich cleansers were bad for the leather and rotted the stitching, thus shortening the lifespan of the tack.

As part of a quick wipe down I use Horsemen's One Step (don't gasp --- It sells well, so a lot of people use it; I am sure some of you are closet users and are not admitting it. :D) For a really good cleaning I use one of the high priced products with a sexy German name. It is probably made in Peapack, NJ, but it sounds so much more expensive if it's name starts with "Leder". ;)

lovey1121
Nov. 19, 2011, 10:24 AM
Yup. Full cleaning, every time. I cant stand dirty tack.

SkipHiLad4me
Nov. 19, 2011, 11:21 AM
As part of a quick wipe down I use Horsemen's One Step (don't gasp --- It sells well, so a lot of people use it; I am sure some of you are closet users and are not admitting it. :D) For a really good cleaning I use one of the high priced products with a sexy German name. It is probably made in Peapack, NJ, but it sounds so much more expensive if it's name starts with "Leder". ;)

:lol: And if you can't pronounce it, it must work better right?

reay6790
Nov. 19, 2011, 11:41 AM
My old pony bridle (10 years old now) is starting to look old. I usually cleaned it 1x week when i was little, and it looked great. i leased my pony out in 2007, where she cleaned it every day she rode and she started to ruin it :( i'm still using it now, but it had a good amount of wear.

I am at an A barn, where some horses get ridden 6x week by trainer and therefore tack gets cleaned every day. those bridles are sticky and gross. i clean my edgewood probably 1-2 a week tops, sometimes over 2 weeks. it is in pristine condition and i don't know why it would need to be cleaned more than that. the more water it is exposed to the worse off it will be. but then again if it is extremely dry the same thing will happen. mine is at a perfect balance, and when i feel like it is a touch to dry i will wash and condition it.

GraceLikeRain
Nov. 19, 2011, 11:48 AM
I scrub my bit after every ride and use a damp sponge to wipe any dust or sweat off my bridle.

Every few weeks I take my bridle apart to clean and condition it.

My saddle gets wiped down every few rides but I am embarrassed to admit that its been quite a while since it got a thorough cleaning and conditioning.

I can wipe down my bridle and figure-eight it in well under two minutes, probably a minute if I am really focused.

AA Hunter
Nov. 19, 2011, 11:51 AM
Although I hate tack cleaning, I've gotten into the habit of cleaning tack/boots after every ride, I just wipe them down quickly with a damp sponge and castille soap, which doesn't leave the residue that glycerin soap does, then wipe dry with a cloth. I never take my schooling bridle apart. It only takes a few minutes to do a quick job, but just keeping the leather free of grime really makes a difference in its appearance and longevity. I have a different bridle I use to show, and I do take that apart to clean after each show.

ThegoodLife
Nov. 19, 2011, 12:25 PM
I wipe my saddle down with a warm, wet cloth, and then rub some Passierlederbalsm onto it. Keeps its nice and soft.
I dont clean my bridle as much because its a cheap, ugly thing, that I dont care for that much. I do wash my bit down though!

Trixie
Nov. 19, 2011, 02:17 PM
I usually clean it with glycerine but don't take it apart. Thorough cleanings are when I have time for them.

If it's cold it might just be wiped down with a soft cloth and then dealt with properly later at home on a less frequent basis (weeklyish or when it's dirty). The barn doesn't have a hot water line and frankly, if it's freezing, I don't want to be dipping my hands in freezing cold water.

kashmere
Nov. 19, 2011, 02:22 PM
I rinse my bit and wipe down my bridle with Horseman's One Step and a damp sponge after every ride. I'm not quite as good about my saddle -- it normally gets a bit of a once over with the sponge as well, but not as thoroughly. I figure, the bridle is the thing that's actually in contact with horse spit, hair, and grime. My saddle is protected by a pad, so tends to get less dirty. (Or, at least that's what I tell myself... :winkgrin:)

Gray Horse H/J
Nov. 19, 2011, 02:33 PM
Eh, I'm pretty lazy about cleaning tack. I'll wipe it down, but it's been a pretty long time since I've thoroughly cleaned it. I'm better about it in the summer when my bridle gets sweaty, or mud gets splashed up. I may not be great about cleaning tack, but I won't leave caked mud on my stuff. I'm not that bad! :lol:

PNWjumper
Nov. 19, 2011, 02:40 PM
It only takes 5 or 10 minutes at the most to wipe everything down ...

Yep, 5-10 minutes after each horse can add up real quick when you've got a whole bunch of horses to get through in a short amount of time.

My time that could be spent wiping down tack is usually spent obsessively sweeping my aisleway and cleaning out stalls/shelters.

But in regards to how often, I'm with Janet. I'm usually a before-the-horseshow cleaner. The bridle I'm using on my big jumper is close to 30 years old and still looks fantastic and that's 30 years of that same very inconsistent cleaning schedule. The rest of my tack isn't quite that old (most of my show tack is in the 5yo to 25yo range), but all of it has lasted a long time. I don't think cleaning your tack (other than not letting it remain crusted in sweat or dirt) does anything to prolong the life. I would say that the more important consideration is the environment you keep it in (wet versus dry, cold versus warm, etc.).

BayHorseKindOfGirl
Nov. 19, 2011, 05:48 PM

Ditto!:lol:

sadlmakr
Nov. 19, 2011, 06:06 PM
Good tack costs money. The better you take care of it the longer you will have it. I am pleased to read so many of you at least wipe down your tack after every ride. At least once a month you should take the bridle apart and clean and condition it, then re-assemble it. Same with the saddle. Take the stirrup leathers off and remove the stirrup irons and clean and condition the stirrup leathers. While you have them off the saddle give the saddle a good once over with a good conditioner. You will be glad you did when your tack lasts longer than the one who never cleans it and never coditions it. When you take apart your bridles and stirrup leathers shine up your bits and the stirrup irons as well.
I wish to give high praises to you all who do such a fine job in cleaning your tack after you ride.
Regards, sadlmakr

MyssMyst
Nov. 19, 2011, 06:29 PM
Yes! I use Belvoir tack cleaner (in the spray bottle) and a damp sponge--I actually wet the sponge and blot it with a towel to avoid putting too much water on my tack.

I also use Belvoir when I clean. I quickly wipe my tack down after each use, and always rinse the bit. I aim to do a full cleaning once a week. I figure 8 my bridles as well. I'm also the nut who takes a body brush to the horse blankets to keep them clean. People in my barn look at me like I've grown a second head.

onelanerode
Nov. 19, 2011, 06:58 PM
I don't clean mine after every ride, but I do wipe down my bridle with a damp cloth to get any sweat/dirt off it, and I clean the bit. That goes a long way toward cutting down on the amount of time and frequency that it needs to be actually cleaned with a product.

When my tack does need cleaning, I like the Belvoir spray cleaner followed by, if necessary, the Effax leather conditioner (comes in a brown tub).

kenyarider
Nov. 19, 2011, 07:12 PM
Absolutely, I had a trainer who was worse than I imagine George Morris is about it, so it's a habit. Use cloth, water and glycerine soap bar. Clean tack tends to last longer, I have tack that is still usable from the 1970s!!!! Though it's not very fashionable. And a King's African Rifles breastplate from the 1940s that could be used if I were willing to let it leave the house.

Star's Ascent
Nov. 20, 2011, 12:20 AM
The barn I grew up at had a bridle hanger and bucket to wipe stuff down, but other than that I have not been at a barn that has something like that. Sometimes it would be nice, but I keep my cleaning supplies at home since my locker isn't huge at the barn and I have no where else to keep things. Saddle soap is not considered essential to what I need to have out there right now. If I need to clean stuff I bring it home. That I do every few weeks currently. I wipe my girth off after each ride. I would think also that daily cleaning with soap and or conditioner could have the opposite affect on something. More because I would think it could affect the stitching. Wiping with a damp cloth or sponge I don't see as "cleaning" I guess since its not using soap. But it still serves the purpose of getting some of the dirt off. I have a 20 something year old Cortina (made in Argentina) that was cleaned only occasionally outside of being cleaned for shows and its in great condition. The only issues with it are because of my sister riding in it in jeans a few years ago. Otherwise its soft and clean and isn't going to be dying any time soon!

Aliascml
Nov. 20, 2011, 01:06 AM
I always wash/wipe off the bit and wipe down the bridle with a little water and soap. After reading this thread, I took apart my bridle to deep clean and condition it tonight, however!

Dewey
Nov. 20, 2011, 08:25 AM
Clean tack tends to last longer, I have tack that is still usable from the 1970s!!!! Though it's not very fashionable.

So do I. I bought both my saddle and my bridle used in 1979 and am still using both.

wyldhorseb
Nov. 20, 2011, 04:44 PM
Wiped down with glycerin soap and a sponge.

Then with castile soap.

Then figure-eight the bridle.

Glycerin and castile on every part of the saddle.

Wipe off the bit.

Always.

Takes ten minutes, max.

I'd rather do that after every ride than feel like I'm scraping off weeks of sweat off the reins.

shadowanne
Nov. 20, 2011, 05:11 PM
It bothers me more to wipe down a bridle and leave or press in the foamy 'goo' near buckles/keepers then to leave the bridle as is and clean it infrequently so I can take the whole bridle apart.

I clean my tack about once a month with Effax cleaner and then condition w Passier's ledarbalsam. I oil as needed with Hydrophane. It's a full cleaning with tack taken completely apart. I do it at home while watching TV, etc. The conditioning is done directly with my hands and I just take my time massaging it in. My jump coach is always commenting how nice and tacky my saddle is - even between cleanings.

Of note, I don't have a lot of dust at my barn and my horse doesn't really sweat much (I'm not at the level where he gets a hard workout) so my tack doesn't get that dirty. Plus I also spend time cleaning my horse so my tack is always put on a relatively clean horse.

I do hose down horse boots after each use, and pads are washed as needed - but I have 3 per discipline, that way I can clean less often :)

I ride about 4-6x a week and have 2 sets of tack (dressage & jump). I have a job and a family and try to keep my time at the barn to a reasonable amount.

JustABay
Nov. 20, 2011, 05:32 PM
I almost never cleaned my tack (like, once a year) until I moved to my new barn. The tack room is really well set up, and all the supplies are provided, and right there to use so it's really convenient. Also, most of the people that ride at my barn clean theirs after every ride, so it's gotten to be a habit for me now. We also have a washer/dryer and laundry gets done daily, so my saddle pads, boots and polos get washed more than once a month now too! YAY!! :D :lol:

airineek
Nov. 20, 2011, 07:56 PM

Ditto. The Belvoir tack cleaner spray is my favorite product for everyday cleaning because it isn't oily or greasy and leaves no residue. When I want to condition too, I follow it up with the Belvoir spray conditioner, which is a liquid glycerine based spray.

Star's Ascent
Nov. 20, 2011, 08:16 PM
I almost never cleaned my tack (like, once a year) until I moved to my new barn. The tack room is really well set up, and all the supplies are provided, and right there to use so it's really convenient. Also, most of the people that ride at my barn clean theirs after every ride, so it's gotten to be a habit for me now. We also have a washer/dryer and laundry gets done daily, so my saddle pads, boots and polos get washed more than once a month now too! YAY!! :D :lol:

If I had this kind of set up I think I would be more willing to do it on a more regular basis. But I just don't have the room for the stuff in my own box and if someone else wants to use their washer I am more than willing if it keeps it out of mine!

ddashaq
Nov. 20, 2011, 08:30 PM
Honestly, I probably don't clean my tack often enough, but some of it is getting on in years (from the late 80s/early 90s) and in very good shape despite the neglect. Saddle and bridle get a thorough cleaning twice a year and then before every show. Bridle gets wiped down in the summer just because it gets SO humid here and my horse is a big-time sweater. Saddle gets wiped if the horse sweat through his pad, otherwise only if it is obviously dirty.

Linny
Nov. 20, 2011, 08:39 PM
At my former barn they had a nice set up in the tack room with racks and hooks and a hot water sink. The room was heated to it was easy to wipe tack after each ride. My current barn has none of that. In winter when water is being warmed to add to buckets I siphon some off and clean tack, but when it's not cold enugh to heat water but still cold enough at night to not want to have my hands in water, I get a little lazy.

salymandar
Nov. 20, 2011, 09:55 PM
The bit gets cleaned after every ride. I usually wipe my bridle down after every ride with the cleaner of the day. I rotate depending on my mood, climate, and condition of the bridle. I condition as needed. I used to clean my saddle after every ride, but I have been less conscientious about it lately. I wipe it off every few rides, then clean it really well and condition it once a week.