PDA

View Full Version : My buckskin horse needs a show name! UPDATE, Post 35

costco_muffins
Nov. 18, 2011, 12:11 AM
UPDATE, almost a year later, on post 35!

You know when things work out in a way that you were never expecting?

Last summer my young OTTB gelding died unexpectedly and I have spent the past year catch riding various horses at my local barn. I helped a family buy a lovely Appendix Paint gelding for their teenage daughter - who promptly went to Mexico for a year-long exchange program.

I spent the last six months working with her new horse and day-by-day falling more in love with him. He is nothing that I would have picked for myself - all of my horses have been 16.2+ bay TB geldings - and he just isn't... He isn't nuts, he isn't freakishly athletic, he isn't dramatic... and I love him.

The family now wants to sell him to me, recognizing that he is my project and part of my journey. DH agreed.

The horse is lovely - but his name sucks. His registered name is QT Danceman. We call him Danny. I know him by his barn name so I will keep that the same, but am looking for a new show name. Danny is 16hh, buckskin, and has a lightning bolt on his neck (we jokingly call him our Harry Potter horse).

So... any show name ideas? The farthest we got was to go from Danceman to Footloose to Kevin Bacon to Six Degrees... which I think is really funny but totally doesn't make any sense to anyone but my Attention Deficit self.

Please help!

Day we tried him:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2410675230082679811XlZqBO

You can see his only paint markings here:
http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2834489950082679811xinREO

12 y/o riding him XC
http://community.webshots.com/photo/fullsize/2698681230082679811QoeSOY

janiemerle
Nov. 18, 2011, 12:25 AM
No name suggestions, but he's really nice looking!

ohrebecca
Nov. 18, 2011, 12:40 AM
He is ADORABLE, and I actually really like Six Degrees - it doesn't have to make sense to anyone but you!

dani0303
Nov. 18, 2011, 12:57 AM
I've ALWAYS wanted a buckskin named Buck Naked. So that will be my suggestion ;)

ToTheNines
Nov. 18, 2011, 07:13 AM
Sweet story. He is cute, and I am a huge fan of our American bred horses. Have fun with him! I often take the barn name, and try to think of a famous person having that as a first name and use their last name. Such as barn name "Elvis", show name "Costello". Or it would be fun to keep the "QT" part (sort of another private story -- "cutie"). Generally not a big fan of long names or names that are more like titles or names that are abstract relative to the horse. If he were my horse I might name him "QT Vee" for his neck marking.

TheHunterKid90
Nov. 18, 2011, 07:25 AM
I don't often click on a link and then say "oh my!" out loud...I did for your boy! He's absolutely STUNNING!!!
Goodluck with him!

ultimateshowmom
Nov. 18, 2011, 08:08 AM
Flashdance? He sure is cute!

SillyHorse
Nov. 18, 2011, 09:17 AM
I actually like Danceman.

Donkerbruin
Nov. 18, 2011, 09:26 AM
What a cute horse. I love buckskins. I always thought a good buckskin name would be Chips Ahoy because the colors kind of remind me of a cookie. Or, why don't we venture into the world of Harry Potter? Buckbeak, or even better, He Who Must Not Be Named.

KitKat987
Nov. 18, 2011, 09:39 AM
I can see why you love him! He's adorable :) I'm not creative enough to think of new names I'm afraid, but I like Six Degrees. I have an appendix, and a running bred QH, both jumpers and I'm a big fan of horses with some stock horse blood in them!

Addison
Nov. 18, 2011, 09:43 AM
Love "Six Degrees"!

DMK
Nov. 18, 2011, 10:25 AM
I love Six Degrees as well, because the only one who has to like the name is YOU! (says the person who named a horse "Felonious Monk" :D )

If you wanted to do some cute names, you could work off the "Done/Dun" play on words, but again, I really like Six Degrees so I'm not even trying to think of new names. ;)

Dune
Nov. 18, 2011, 10:32 AM
If you wanted to do some cute names, you could work off the "Done/Dun" play on words,

Or a step further in that direction, using his name "Dan" for "done/dun"...

JBCool
Nov. 18, 2011, 10:38 AM
Or, even better, He Who Must Not Be Named.

After two weeks of trying to think of something for my new one, I jokingly told my hubby I was going to call him that b/c I was so stumped! :lol: I did think of something better, though.

back on track, what about:
Happy Dance
Slow Dance/ Slow Dancing
Shall We Dance
Have This Dance
Modern Dance (b/c his colors are rather original)

Spud&Saf
Nov. 18, 2011, 10:42 AM
I'd call him Buckingham. :D

LoveJubal
Nov. 18, 2011, 11:01 AM
I've ALWAYS wanted a buckskin named Buck Naked. So that will be my suggestion ;)

I rode a Buckskin/Cream Colored Pony in lessons when I was younger named "In the Buff." I always liked that name - slightly scandalous :lol: You could even use that one too!

see u at x
Nov. 18, 2011, 11:24 AM
I'd call him Buckingham. :D

haha...that is my buckskin gelding's show name. H.R.H. Buckingham. And his barn name is "Ham" which totally fits him! :D Great minds!

Losgelassenheit
Nov. 18, 2011, 11:29 AM
Wow! What a cool guy! :yes:

Count me as another who actually likes Danceman, but Flashdance is great, too. He certainly is flashy!

Perhaps I'm dating myself but the only other showing buckskin that comes quickly to mind was the hunter pony from the 90's.. Sandbunny. :lol:

Sandman, perhaps? Dunno.. Flashdance has grown on me now. Do let us know what you choose!

Good luck with him! :)

LJ
Nov. 18, 2011, 03:09 PM
Is it fair for me to vote for "Six Degrees?" :)

costco_muffins
Nov. 18, 2011, 04:22 PM
Aww, thanks guys! I just enjoy being with him... he totally won me over!

I love the name Six Degrees, so I suppose I should stick with that :)

LJ gets to meet him next week, so she can report back on if he is actually as nice as I claim!

2DogsFarm
Nov. 18, 2011, 04:33 PM
He's lovely!

And I agree if Six Degrees turns you on, then that should be his show name :yes:

Although I like Happy Dance too :D

My Vernon came to me with that barn name and at the time the Ernest Goes To movies were popular (dating myself here...), so his show name became Hey Vern! < complete with exclamation mark.

Lord Helpus
Nov. 18, 2011, 04:43 PM
Back in the 80;s there was a very nice A/O buckskin/dun (I don't know the difference -- something about the dorsal stripe?) named Dunhill. It is a very classy name and suited him well.

Behind the 8 Ball
Nov. 18, 2011, 04:49 PM
Dun Dancing?

eventermomoh
Nov. 18, 2011, 04:51 PM
I'm terrible with names, but just wanted to say the last picture he adorable. Not sure who is having more fun :)

Burbank
Nov. 18, 2011, 05:24 PM
I kinda like his registered name, but my first thought just b/c he is buckskin is Bucking Awesome, sorry on my third glass of champagne

costco_muffins
Nov. 18, 2011, 06:11 PM
I'm terrible with names, but just wanted to say the last picture he adorable. Not sure who is having more fun :)

That was that kiddo's first time going XC, so I would venture a guess to say it was her! Although it was Danny's first XC school, he was more mellow about the whole experience :)

Mukluk
Nov. 19, 2011, 12:24 AM
Another vote for Buck Naked:D

Event4Life
Nov. 19, 2011, 12:26 AM
Oh Danny Boy!

Dan The Man....haha he reminds me a bit of my Palomino QH whose name was Stanley. I never could come up w/ a show name that fit, but my trainer called him Stan The Man (he really was the man too. Best horse ever!), so it stuck!

Kestrel
Nov. 19, 2011, 01:19 AM
Dan Buffington!

Mukluk
Nov. 19, 2011, 01:58 PM
But imagine that magical moment when you and horse are in perfect harmony, besting all the other horses and riders by a million miles and you hear the announcer call...

"And in first place is twodogsfarm riding Buck Naked!!!!"

grandprix123
Jul. 11, 2012, 08:41 PM
This is really late (obviously) but I had a buckskin named Buck Naked who kicked butt (pun intended) in the first year greens, adults and then children's. He won a class at every AA show he went to and the name was always a big hit :)

rabicon
Jul. 11, 2012, 09:02 PM
Just realized how old this was lol

alto
Jul. 11, 2012, 09:37 PM
Just realized how old this was lol

Yeah where're the Update Photos!!!
:confused:

:cry:

;)

rockfordbuckeye
Jul. 11, 2012, 09:51 PM
What about "Spellbound" and nickname him "Harry" ;-)

costco_muffins
Jul. 11, 2012, 10:35 PM
Oh man you guys, dragging this up again! We officially bought Danny on Valentine's Day of this year... what a great present from my DH!

I settled on Six Degrees for his first local show to see how I liked it... and I did. Not sure that I LOVE it, but he isn't registered with USEF yet.

And yes, I can post some pictures!

Here are some from his first show. Danny went into the 2' division to start the day. We did two classes where we added in the lines and kept a nice, relaxed pace without pushing for strides. In the third class we decided to ask a little more of him and see if he could get the strides... and he could! That was a pleasant surprise as he is just shy of 16hh and with our little indoor we hadn't had much practice with related distances. However, letting him open up gave us some balance issues, which made it a bit of a messy round. Decided to add one class at 2'6" to try and work out the balance issues. He did remarkably well.

In our two flat classes (hunters and eq) he was brilliant. The flat classes followed immediately after his fences round, and I forgot to take off his martingale... oops... but he was very well behaved. For the second class it was off and he won. There was an amazing canter-halt transition that he did that had everyone who knows us whooping from the sidelines!

Pictures of that show (courtesy of Delphine McCracken, who takes AMAZING pictures!):

http://www.delphoto.net/Photography/LWSC-Hunter-Show-May-6-2012/153-Kate-Sharkey/23137824_C2PdjH#!i=1864025731&k=BrmxLfv

Over the 4th of July holiday I went up to visit my old hunter in his retirement home and took Danny. We also got to cavort on the beach for the first time.

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2511785940082679811gpxMVl
http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2613470700082679811zYmdmq

I rode him this past year in a western drill team and we competed once in a team of four event as gladiators... here is proof of that escapade:

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2342762090082679811VirUog

He is ridden in one lesson per week by a little kiddo who has progressed from learning to canter to jumping little courses with him in the past six months. Here are is an adorable picture of them:

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2401020970082679811itOTXv

And for comparison and fun... here is what Danny looked like when we bought him:

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2984531360082679811DiaUGW

And what he looked like a year later:

http://pets.webshots.com/photo/2414091980082679811Ciqscc

alto
Jul. 11, 2012, 11:10 PM
Thanks for the fabulous update :yes:

(I had looked in your history to see if you'd posted elsewhere & was disappointed to find nothing so I'm just :) :D )

PNWjumper
Jul. 12, 2012, 12:44 AM
He's so adorable! I love the Lake Washington pics....he looks fabulous! :)

costco_muffins
Jul. 12, 2012, 01:33 AM
Thanks, guys! I am really pleased with him. He isn't something that will set the hunter world afire, but he does make me happy each time I hang out with him, so that must mean something.

Alto, I didn't even realize that I never updated about him, but now I will as we work our way (hopefully) to the bigger shows around here! Nice to know that Danny has a few fans out there, besides just me and his little girls who stuff him with cookies!

PNW, now that you are hanging around here forever, we might actually run into you at some shows! The hope is that we can break Danny's green next year and get him to some proper shows after he has this year to figure things out at LWSC. If he is amazing, we might head to Octoberfest this year, but that is a stretch. It would be fun to see Charlie again since the last time I saw him he was at Jimmi's and barely broke!

PNWjumper
Jul. 12, 2012, 02:05 AM
PNW, now that you are hanging around here forever, we might actually run into you at some shows! The hope is that we can break Danny's green next year and get him to some proper shows after he has this year to figure things out at LWSC. If he is amazing, we might head to Octoberfest this year, but that is a stretch. It would be fun to see Charlie again since the last time I saw him he was at Jimmy's and barely broke!

That would be so much fun! I'm hoping to get Charley to some extra shows beyond what I drag him to only because there are classes for Billy. I'm hoping to get to at least a few non-T-bird shows, and it would be fun to hook up and see your boy in person. Every time you put pictures up on FB I ooh and ahh over his loveliness :D I think he's begging to come jump around some jumper classes!

mvp
Jul. 12, 2012, 02:05 PM
A fancy hunter or dressaging buckskin is on my elitist/redneck bucket list so:

Bucket List.

He's great, especially the new a$$ you put on him.

snaffle635
Jul. 12, 2012, 04:31 PM
He is super cute! I'm glad you went with Six Degrees - I love it!

ParadoxFarm
Jul. 12, 2012, 05:29 PM
Beautiful transformation. He looks well loved! :)

Dune
Jul. 13, 2012, 12:15 PM
C'mon folks, isn't there ANYone else on this forum that wants to see him named Buck Wild (think 80's hip hop)??? LOL, I can't be the only one....can I?

Donkerbruin
Jul. 13, 2012, 12:51 PM
I have such a thing for buckskins. He is precious and looks like such a nice guy, too.

fordtraktor
Jul. 13, 2012, 12:55 PM
I adore this horse! Thanks for the update and congrats on such a great V-Day gift. :)

Calamber
Jul. 23, 2012, 11:20 AM
He is absolutely lovely although he is not considered a buckskin, he has a dorsal stripe, hence he is dun. If I knew how to post pictures I would post my project who I thought should be called a grulla buckskin but that is not a color that is recognized genetically. Congratulations on such a nice horse and a really sweet story.