PDA

View Full Version : Amateur status and therapeutic riding

GrantanaKC
Nov. 17, 2011, 11:59 PM
Hi guys! It's been a long time since I've been on here, so forgive me if this topic has been covered, but I didnt find any matches when I searched.

My situation is that I am an amateur rider who works at a school for students with disabilities. We are starting an equine program with the help of a local stable that I found. The owner and trainer of the program are currently getting certified to be therapeutic riding instructors. I am to be the director of this program. My boss would like me to get certified to be an instructor as well. I very much want to, but I don't want to jeapordize my standing as an amateur. I have a feeling that there might be something in the rule books that would allow me to get this certification and still compete as an amateur, but I can't find it.

(also, the barn owner and trainer ride western and don't compete, so they really don't have answers for me and my trainer knows very little about therapeutic riding).

Thanks!!!

MHM
Nov. 18, 2011, 12:25 AM
From the 2012 USEF rule book-

The pertinent part is USEF GR 1306.b:

Amateurs and Professional Status

1. Regardless of one’s equestrian skills and/or accomplishments, a person is an amateur for all competitions conducted under Federation rules who after his/her 18th birthday, as defined in GR101, has not engaged in any of the following activities which would make him/her a professional.:

a. Accepts remuneration for riding, driving, showing, training, schooling or conducting clinics or seminars.

b. Accepts remuneration for giving riding or driving lessons, lessons in showmanship, instructions in equitation or horse training. (Persons acting as counselors at summer camps, who are not hired in the exclusive capacity of riding instructors are excluded and persons giving instruction and training to the handicapped).

----------------------------------------------------------------------

As always, it's a good idea to email USEF to verify it, and save the email you get back from them.

GrantanaKC
Nov. 18, 2011, 06:45 AM
Awesome! Thanks!