PDA

View Full Version : Alternatives to TS for leadliner

meaty ogre
Nov. 17, 2011, 02:00 PM
Mini-MO is movin on up to some bigger shows and I want to polish up her look a little bit. I have a good hunt coat and some cute ratcatchers, but so far we've been using devon-aire jods and I hate them. They are mostly cotton and they pill very badly. Nothing seems to look as polished as the Tailored Sportsmens that are mostly nylon. But, at the rate she is growing, it's going to be a waste. I've been scouring e-bay for used ones in her size and coming up with nada. Are there any other manufacturers who make a sturdy jodhpur that looks as good as the TSs but at about half the price? :)

Oh, and if you know of anybody that makes itty-bitty black leather show gloves feel free to pass them on too. I have a pair but they are too big. I tried washing and drying them to get them to shrink up and it helped a little but not enough.

Who knew outfitting a kid would be so hard, and so danged expensive. I mean, she's like 1/8th my size, shouldn't her close cost 1/8th as much!?! :) :lol:

Kenike
Nov. 17, 2011, 02:44 PM
Let me see if I still have my Bug's itty-bitty leather gloves. He only wore them for a few LL classes. We've had 2 pairs so far: Size 2 and Size 4....I think. If they're still around, you're more than welcome to have them.

As for the jods? I just use the Dublin or Tuff Rider. I figure at this age, and for LL....why not?

STA
Nov. 17, 2011, 02:47 PM
Try a local consignment shop. I have several pairs of jods TS and other brands, at very reasonable prices. Your situation is one of the main reasons I opened my shop.

Dramapony_misty
Nov. 17, 2011, 02:56 PM
Try the Ovation Euroweave Jods: http://www.ovationriding.com/en/ovation-product-details.htm?prd=2427960760

I have several pairs of breeches in this fabric and I love it! They don't feel as thick as the TS ones that I wore in college, but hold up pretty good.

RumoursFollow
Nov. 17, 2011, 03:43 PM
What size does she wear? I have a pair of size 4s (TS) i will pass along if she's small enough for them. They run big in the waist IMO.. My DD is a 6 and they fit her but are way too short.

Oh! And we've had SSG brand leather (or leather like, not sure) gloves for her since she was itty bitty. They make them super tiny! Have you visited www.justforponies.com ? I haven't looked to be sure but that is generally my go to place for all things small.

meaty ogre
Nov. 17, 2011, 03:58 PM
Wow, you guys are awesome!

Kenike, that is so kind of you!

RF, she does wear a size 4. I'll PM you! And thanks for the link...I have ordered from them before but totally forgot about that site! They have some awesome stuff.

Thanks for the tip on the ovations! I have some euroweaves and that is a great fabric. I'm excited that they come in a size 4...many manufacturers start with a 6 or 8! It's so hard to find jods small enough that she wears them for schooling and shows and they end up looking awful. Of course Mini-MO is very hard on clothes, like most youngins I guess!

We've picked through everything at the local consignment shop, but there is one in the next state that is supposed to be really good. I think we will have to make a trip there.

I always try to make sure she looks sharp, but some of the Moms at these shows are killing me! The hair and makeup rivals those little pageant divas! Well, maybe not quite that bad, but I do need to step up my game when we hit some of the bigger shows next year.

RumoursFollow
Nov. 17, 2011, 04:04 PM
I have been told by numerous tack stores that they don't make TS smaller than a 6. I would be much more inclined to believe if I didn't own a pair of 4s and have a friend who now owns the size 2s that I bought years ago at a show. I have never seen other pairs though, so I've tried to pass them along to "show homes" who can pay it forward when they are outgrown rather than selling them to be "lost" on eBay.

PNWjumper
Nov. 17, 2011, 06:27 PM
Do children's sizes run as different as adult sizing? (i.e. I wear a 30 in breeches, not an 8). Meaty ogre - isn't your daughter right around the same age as mine? (mine will be 4 in Jan)

I ordered my daughter a pair of size 4 jodphurs and they're HUGE! She wears a 4T and I figured they wouldn't be quite the same, but I wasn't expecting breeches that fit my neighbor's 10yo.

And along those lines, does anyone have a guess as to what size to keep an eye out for? She'll do her first lead line classes next spring and I'm trying to start pulling things together.

meaty ogre
Nov. 17, 2011, 07:28 PM
Mini MO is 5, but very slightly built. She has no waist, hips or butt so we are very prone to butt-crack-itis! :lol: She has a hard time keeping any pants up, and belts only help marginally.

She still wears a 4t and they are big everywhere except the length usually. Most jodhpurs in a size small are made to fit a 6-8. I did find some older Devon-aires in a 4T at the local consignment shop, but because they are mostly cotton and Mini MO is hard on clothes, they just don't last. She is always straddling the gates or fences, pretending to race horses with her little barn buddies. She rides the little statue horse in our front yard and snags her pants on the rough patches. She climbs in and out of the water troughs, etc. She is murder on clothes! After I find her a pair of show jods, they will be used for show ONLY! I did quickly find out that on show days she MUST wear a shirt and pants overtop her show clothing right up until the minute we go into the ring! :lol:

PNW, try boinkcatalog.com. They are the only place I know that has toddler sizes if your lil punkin is very small. If she is skinny like Mini MO, it will be tough!

RumoursFollow
Nov. 17, 2011, 10:36 PM
PNW- I had the same problem. DD is small and thin (not sure where she gets that from..) so the pants never fit her right. When she outgrew the 2s in height, I finally just belted the 4s really tight to keep them on, since I HATE when they are too short. I am currently doing the same with 6s (she outgrew her 4s in height only- and she is wearing 6-6x clothes! Who do they make these things for anyway?) I wish they'd make adjustable waist TS, haha.

horserider12
Nov. 17, 2011, 10:36 PM
I too have size 4 ts jods if you still need. my daughter is tall and skinny as a rail and wore the until last year. she could still wear them in the waist if only they were long enough! the size six are huge on her. small show gloves were easy, think ours were ssg and she was under 2 years when she wore those.

dab
Nov. 19, 2011, 06:22 AM
I have been told by numerous tack stores that they don't make TS smaller than a 6. I would be much more inclined to believe if I didn't own a pair of 4s and have a friend who now owns the size 2s that I bought years ago at a show. I have never seen other pairs though, so I've tried to pass them along to "show homes" who can pay it forward when they are outgrown rather than selling them to be "lost" on eBay.
TS will do custom orders for any sizes they don't normally offer -- Any shop that carries TS should be able to order them for you -- I would ask them to get an estimate of how long it will take for the item to arrive -- As I recall, it was a long wait when I ordered a custom pair --

pm59
Nov. 19, 2011, 09:57 AM
My daughter is 8 and weighs 43lbs the 4 TS still fit in the body, but are WAY too short , we use these:
http://www.justforponies.com/tuffriderpullontalljodssizes6-16tall.aspx

in the sand color in a 6 long, they really look very nice and they wash well, this year I am going to give them a really spray of Scotch Guard before we start showing!! I usually go through 2 or three pair a year and the ones that we no longer show in we school in! They are super super comfortable ( according to DD) and when I wash them I stretch them when they are wet to make sure they stay long enough and then hang to dry. I know several kids who show the A and AA circuit in these and you would never know they are not super expensive!

Brydelle Farm
Nov. 19, 2011, 09:59 AM
I don't have 2 legged kids of my own, so am completely ignorant when it comes to clothes sizes.

I have a just turned 5 yr old little who is very petite, she wears a 4 or 5 in pants (5 due to length b/c she has very long legs), so what size jod would this be comparable?

Thanks in advance!!

Kenike
Nov. 22, 2011, 12:32 AM
I'm not the right one to ask about sizing since my kiddo is rather tall (for instance: he's 5, but most people think he's 8). He's always been a skinny one, though, so all wastes are too big. I have to deal with length issues...thank goodness for belts! :lol:

Meaty Ogre, PM incoming for the gloves!