PDA

View Full Version : FEI rules on schooling at competitions

vineyridge
Nov. 17, 2011, 01:13 PM
Here is the one in the jumping rules for adults:

ARTICLE 10 SCHOOLING OF HORSES
Under penalty of disqualification, it is not permitted for an Athlete's Horse to be schooled by anyone else other than the Athlete himself mounted in the saddle, in or outside the town where an Event or a FEI Championship is held, as from
18.00 hours on the day preceding the commencement of the first Competition of an Event or a FEI Championship until the conclusion of the whole Event or FEI Championship. However, lungeing, work in hand, etc. by someone other than
the Athlete, under the supervision of the stewards, are permitted.

They have a special one in the Jumping Rules for ponies:

ARTICLE 10 SCHOOLING OF PONIES
1. Under penalty of elimination, it is prohibited for an Athlete's pony to be schooled by anybody mounted in the saddle, other than the Athlete himself in or outside the town where the Event or a FEI Championship is held, as from 18.00 hours on the day preceding the commencement of the first Competition of an Event until the conclusion of the whole Event . However, lunging, work in hand, etc., by someone other than the Athlete, under the supervision of the FEI stewards, is permitted.
2. Ponies may not leave the stables, the Competition area, or the areas supervised by Stewards for any purpose unless authorised by a recognised FEI Official of the Event or a Veterinarian acting in the interest of the health and welfare of the pony.
3. Each pony keeps the same identification number provided by the OC on arrival, throughout the Event. It is compulsory that this number is always worn by the pony whenever it leaves the stables, so that it may be identified by all Officials
including the Stewards. Failure to display this identification number clearly incurs first a warning and, in the case of repeated offence, a fine imposed on the Athlete by the Ground Jury or the Appeal Committee.

What about catch rides? Sounds as if the rider and pony must be well set before an Event (defined as the WHOLE competition) begins.

Thinking about the Darst fiasco. And, yes, I do know Pony Finals are not an FEI event--or are they?

MHM
Nov. 17, 2011, 01:33 PM
I do know Pony Finals are not an FEI event--or are they?

Absolutely NOT an FEI event. Even if some people take them just as seriously. :lol:

supershorty628
Nov. 17, 2011, 02:18 PM
Seems reasonable to me. If you're competing at the FEI level, I'd expect that you can set up your own horse (or if you're on someone else's horse, that you're proficient enough to handle it).

I did an FEI event a few years back on a borrowed horse and was limited to 6 fences in the schooling ring each day - not sure if that was an FEI rule or if it was a rule of that particular show, but it was a little nervewracking.

And, as MHM said, Pony Finals (or any other hunter final) - NOT an FEI event.

eclipse
Nov. 17, 2011, 02:31 PM
That will make it interesting at Spruce Meadows next summer! Their summer series always uses FEI rules for ALL classes, yet you'll see trainers riding students horses in some lower classes before student rides. Wonder what will happen with that?

vineyridge
Nov. 17, 2011, 02:35 PM
Maybe you can get around the rule by two Athletes for a single horse. :)

MHM
Nov. 17, 2011, 02:43 PM
I did an FEI event a few years back on a borrowed horse and was limited to 6 fences in the schooling ring each day - not sure if that was an FEI rule or if it was a rule of that particular show, but it was a little nervewracking.

I'm guessing that must have been a rule just for that event. (Were all the horses borrowed? If so, that rule would make a lot more sense.) I don't ever remember counting jumps in a schooling ring before any FEI GP, or seeing anyone else counting jumps.

The only snag with the rider restrictions is that some riders with multiple horses in a class often will have somebody else warm the horse up on the flat before they get on to start jumping, just due to time constraints. I suppose that's not an issue if you only show one horse in a class.

supershorty628
Nov. 17, 2011, 03:02 PM
I'm guessing that must have been a rule just for that event. (Were all the horses borrowed? If so, that rule would make a lot more sense.) I don't ever remember counting jumps in a schooling ring before any FEI GP, or seeing anyone else counting jumps.

Borrowed for everyone not from that country; host country provided horses and foreign riders were teamed with a local rider (both rode the same horse, scores added, etc.). Probably just for that show, then.