PDA

View Full Version : Rust Breeches in Eq

LeandraB
Nov. 17, 2011, 12:46 PM
I was reading through the thread on french blue coats and it got me thinking about rust breeches which i have wanted for forever!
Problem is, I'm in school and just recently horseless so I mostly show IHSA besides catch riding a bit when I am home. So what do you guys think about rust breeches in IHSA? too out there or a great way to stand out?
I would wear them with a white shirt/navy jacket combo and either my speed air (all black) or more traditional CO hampton.

JBCool
Nov. 17, 2011, 12:53 PM
Ask your coach. If he/she thinks they're ok, it might be a way to get noticed, depending on their taste and your region. I think mine would have choked us, though; no way, no how.

supershorty628
Nov. 17, 2011, 01:03 PM
I wouldn't in IHSA.

myalter1
Nov. 17, 2011, 03:06 PM
agree with the above posters..check with your coach. I love rust. BUT my feeling is..you better be able to find 8 jumps well while wearing rust because the judge will sure remember you!

(hence why i don't show in rust breeches!)

gottagrey
Nov. 17, 2011, 05:09 PM
As long as you keep it very classic - black jacket / rust breeches is pretty hard to beat (not on a grey though)

myalter1
Nov. 17, 2011, 05:12 PM
unless you chip.. lol that's not too hard to beat.

gottagrey
Nov. 17, 2011, 05:14 PM
QUOTE=myalter1;5965616]unless you chip.. lol that's not too hard to beat.[/QUOTE]

:eek::lol::lol:

mroades
Nov. 17, 2011, 06:27 PM
no black jackets in equ...rust wouldnt bother me/ I believe Whitney Roper got a ribbon at Medal FInals wearing rust a while back...

lily pony
Nov. 17, 2011, 06:29 PM
I love me some rusts, but I don't know anything about IHSA, so I'd ask your coach.
I'd wear them with your CO hampton though, that'd be a very nice, classical look.

RougeEmpire
Nov. 17, 2011, 08:02 PM
Rust looks good on a heavier rider or a rider with thick thighs.

bjd2013
Nov. 17, 2011, 08:59 PM
....I definitely would not. People want it to have a come back, but I just do not ever see it happening. Wearing rust breeches will definitely get you noticed...and probably not the way you want.

MHM
Nov. 17, 2011, 09:09 PM
Rust looks good on a heavier rider or a rider with thick thighs.

People have been saying that for decades.

That doesn't make it true. :lol:

hj0519
Nov. 17, 2011, 10:18 PM
I wouldn't for IHSA. Most IHSA coaches have specific guidelines for what they want their riders to wear (tan breeches, white shirt, dark coat). I'd ask your coach about it before showing up at one of the shows in rust.

War Admiral
Nov. 18, 2011, 01:39 AM
I think it was Maggie Jayne who rocked the rust and won Maclay (or was it Medal) finals...

fourmares
Nov. 18, 2011, 02:06 AM
Technically rust is informal attire and only appropriate for day time classes and not for equitation... not that anyone cares about any of that any more.

LBAndrew
Nov. 18, 2011, 02:48 AM
I definitely wouldn't do it in IHSA. Absolutely not. My coach would never allow it, and I don't think think you really WANT to stand out that much in IHSA necessarily because if you get a sub-par horse, the judge is going to be watching you that much closer.

IMO, if you want to wear rust breeches, you BETTER have a horse that wows the judges.

Hunter/JumperMom
Nov. 18, 2011, 08:04 AM
no black jackets in equ...rust wouldnt bother me/ I believe Whitney Roper got a ribbon at Medal FInals wearing rust a while back...

What do you mean no black jackets in the eq?

AmmyByNature
Nov. 18, 2011, 08:12 AM
I wouldn't wear rust in the Eq, and definitely not in IHSA.

What do you mean no black jackets in the eq?

No kidding! Black is the new navy in the Big Eq...

LeandraB
Nov. 18, 2011, 08:51 AM
awww shucks, maybe ill buy them and just wear them to school and ill live out my "eq in rust breeches" dream in my head.

Donkerbruin
Nov. 18, 2011, 09:23 AM
I hate the look of rust breeches. Tan for me, always!

Trixie
Nov. 18, 2011, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't - if only because eq attire is generally more formal, while rust is a bit more informal. I'm all about the rust in the hunters, though.

That being said, this:

I think it was Maggie Jayne who rocked the rust and won Maclay (or was it Medal) finals...

When you ride like her? I'm not sure it matters.

When you ride like the rest of us mortals, it's better not to draw that much attention to yourself by doing something that egregiously stands out, as rust would when everyone else is wearing navy and tan.

BAC
Nov. 18, 2011, 10:27 AM
I know nothing about IHSA rules so I would check with your coach about that, but as far as I know there are no rules prohibiting rust in USEF rated equitation classes, regardless of whether its Maggie Jayne or anyone else riding.

There are several judges who post on these forums, and they have said on numerous occasions they don't pin the class based on matching tack, or whether you are wearing TS breeches, or what color your hunt coat is, in fact many of them have said they don't even notice. What they do notice is clean, neat, workmanlike turnout of both horse and rider.

JBCool
Nov. 18, 2011, 10:31 AM
awww shucks, maybe ill buy them and just wear them to school and ill live out my "eq in rust breeches" dream in my head.

Maybe a safer bet and, hey, you get to always win the class in rust that way! :)